“Very good restaurant”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: The Glebe / Dow's Lake
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I make a point to attend this restaurant when i'm in the Ottawa area. The service is fantastic. Our server recommended items on the menu based on our likings and new the menu inside out. The portions are very generous. The platters were all very tasty. I would recommend if in the area.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I have been eating at Light of India on Bank Street in Ottawa since the mid-1990's. It was once untouchable - hands down the best Indian food to be had in Ottawa. Since moving away from the capital I often dream of the Butter Chicken, Begun Bajii and many other delicious dishes that I would have there. Even the basmati rice was always perfectly prepared and presented beautifully.

On my last trip there, I reflected on how the restaurant has not changed one iota from the first time I ate there -- but only by way of the walls, pictures, fixtures and furnishings. It is looking very tired indeed these days. And sadly, the food quality is not what it once was. The mulligatawny soup was once fabulous and is now just not the same. My basmati rice was lumpy and cool, the meats tough and chewy. I've enjoyed many wonderful meals in this restaurant but have decided it's time to say good-bye.

1  Thank Cynthia M
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The group I had attended the restaurant with had carefully picked out the restaurant. We'd gone online and read the reviews for multiple Indian restaurants in the east end of Ottawa, loving the reviews we'd read about this one. It took almost half an hour to order, then another hour and a half to receive our food. The staff did not come see us at our table to reassure us that our food was coming. We flagged down a staff member to ask them whether or not our food was coming, and only fifteen minutes later did we receive a response, which was our food being brought to us. When we finally received our food, it was mediocre at best. Definitely not worth the wait, or the money. It was overpriced. A couple had even stopped on their way out the doors (seeing as we were sitting at a table right beside the entrance) to tell us that they noticed how long our wait was and that they felt sorry for us. We later addressed the manager about the issue, and we found that he was very condescending and disrespectful. I understand he is proud of his restaurant but when given a suggestion or a comment, it was arrogant of him to talk down to us. I would never return to this restaurant, no matter what the occasion.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Light of India is the only restaurant in Ottawa that we order takeout from. And we order about once a week. I've had Indian food in about 6 cities around the world and this is by far the best. Chicken Madras and Aloo Ghobi are phenomenal.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Food here is very costly, and taste is not up to the mark, not worth the money spent here, service is not good either, they don't wan't to take AMEX.