“Surly and Discourteous Staff”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Diner, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I rarely write negative reviews about pubs/bars, but I really feel compelled to inform people of the negative experience I just had. I just performed there tonight at an open mic night and there is a deal there that you get a free beer if you play. I don't drink, but one of my friends asked me to ask the bartender/server if we could sub the drink that I would have received for the one that he bought. Upon asking this, the bartender/server became agitated and abruptly responded, "Absolutely not." At first I thought she was kidding, and I was about to laugh, but it soon became clear that she was completely serious. She then went on, saying, "Even if you had got the beer and then given it to your friend, I would have charged him." Although I found this to be rude, I wasn't that put out by it and was still considering tipping her and just leaving the tip at the table. So I paid for the food I ordered and was going back to my table when she says in an aggressive voice, "It's good to tip when you're served." "I was going to leave the tip on the table," I responded. She shot back with, "Whatever, don't even bother." I'm thoroughly surprised and confused by this interaction because the other times I've been there, I gave more than a 20 percent tip and I have never done anything to provoke her, including tonight. The food is decent, but I will never be returning there due to the aggressive and discourteous staff.

Reviewed 29 May 2011

Been there quite a few times, and yes, I am a vegetarian myself, but I definitely would not eat at a diner and not expect there to be bacon grease everywhere as well as a "possibility" of it in my food.
I also mention that I am vegetarian to my server, b/c not everyone eats bacon/pork and does not mean that they are vegetarians. So in defense of the server I would have to put the fault on the customer for this one. Did not know a server had to be a mind reader as part of the job, it is the duty of the customer to mention this not the server to ask! I am also sure they are happy not to have the other review person go back to their restaurant.

All in all, great little pub with a good crowd and awesome service and friendly staff!!!

Reviewed 12 April 2011

We headed out for a Sunday Brunch and wanted to go to Phils (right nextdoor) but was full. My boyfriend and I decided to try the pub side, big mistake. Service was horribly slow with one server for the bar, patio and interior.
I ordered a Bacon, cheese and egg sandwhich with hashbrowns, NO BACON. We finally got the meals and started chowing down. It was pretty good. Then as i am lifting a mouthful of hasbrowns to my mouth, what do I spot? A nice piece of bacon. i brush it aside finish my meal (we never saw the server again until after the meal). When she came to pick up the plates i mentioned to her that she should mention to her kitchen staff to be a bit more careful plating as i got a piece of bacon in my hashbrowns and i am vegetarian. Her answer was that they cooked the bacon next to the hasbrowns and didn't have the time to go through all of the potatoes because they were too busy. She then said i should have mentioned the fact i was vegetarian to her. Apparently ordering no bacon must have meant i wanted it? She then told me they were not a "vegetarian focused restaurant". Thank you captain obvious but yet i still ordered a breakfast without meat. I was insulted and made to feel like this was my fault. I will NEVER dine there again. Vegetarians BEWARE you must wear a sign around your neck to identify yourself in this fine establishment. (or only dine at vegetarian focused restaurants, what a joke)

1  Thank CJOTTAWA22
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2008

fun patio to chill on in the summer

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 17 February 2008

Typical Irish pub. Crowds a bit older, and mostly regulars.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook