“Perfect evening”

Cuisines: Portuguese, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Saturday night I was treated to dinner here as part of my birthday present. From the host to the waiter, I must say that the service was exceptional. I never had to turn my head to look for someone. The atmosphere was peaceful, music not too loud, I like that. The food was delicious, had the octopus and lobster paella. The red wine was Portugese and I enjoyed it. The only thing this place needs to improve on is the interior decorating to tweak a few things (E.g. remove carpet).

It's a long drive for me to get to this restaurant but I will be back.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

If you can eat in only one restaurant in Ottawa, choose El Meson. It is superb. A great choice is Paella Valenciana -- the best paella I have ever had -- filled with seafood each perfectly cooked - -shrimp, mussels, clams, scallops, calamari -- along with exquisite chourico sausage, chicken and saffron rice. The gazpacho is excellent and the salads delightful. The desserts, all made in-house, are heavenly. My favourite is the almond torte. The table d'hote options are a great bargain. Service is impeccable..

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I went to El Meson to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we had a wonderful dinner there. Our server was very professional and friendly; we felt well looked after. The food portions were generous, and everything we ordered from appetizers to mains to desserts were fantastic. The restaurant is located in a house and the atmosphere is chic yet cozy. We will return to El Meson for future dinners. The 2nd level of the house has two large private rooms which we would definitely consider for larger family or business celebrations as well.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I travelled to Ottawa to visit my mother. She is an amazing cook, specializing in cuisine from Spain, where she grew up. I took her out for dinner to El Meson which I read serves primarily Spanish and Portuguese dishes.

We started out with 1/2 dozen oysters at a cost of $3 each. You would think for that price you would get decent sized oysters. Well we were served the smallest oysters either my mom or I had ever seen.

Next we tried the salt cod croquettes. I may as well have ordered mashed potato croquettes. If there was any cod in there I was unaware.

The most disappointing was the main course. We each ordered the pork stew with clams. The clams tasted like fish gone bad. The pork was fatty and had no consistency - like it had been stewed in a crockpot for days. The menu description indicated chorizo sausage in the dish; I asked my mom if she came across any and she too did not. The broth was so so so salty.

I paid $120 for disappointment.

5  Thank cassal99
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Fabulous paella and service. Try to snag a window seat if you can but all are great. A bit high end for week night dinner but well worth it! Great wine list. Can't wait to try in summer.