“Do not spend your hard earned money here.”

Al's Steakhouse & Seafood
Ranked #249 of 2,785 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$12 - US$47
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Now in the business of serving superb meals for over 50 years, Al's proudly offers only certified Angus beef, as well as succulent chicken dishes, seafood, and even hearty lunchtime salads, sandwiches, and filet mignons. And it's all served up by a friendly, knowledgeable staff amidst chic, contemporary decor. Open daily for lunch and dinner. Al's also boasts a conference room that can accommodate up to 130 guests. Reservations recommended. Ample free parking.
Ottawa
“Do not spend your hard earned money here.”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Last night our party had a reservation and arrived on time. We were promptly seated. The waitress (I am not sure that is what she does for a living, but she is the one who took our orders) acted as though we were very lucky to have her as our wait staff. I beg to differ, from the get go this older lady displayed non-chalance when communicating with our group. She never asked if we had any questions about the menu, she seemed unfamiliar with how one side dish was prepared and we asked her to inquire for us. She said " oh, you want me to actually ask?" The food was tasty but not worth the price, after the food was delivered there was no follow up until we were finished. The mixed vegetables were cold. The lighting was VERY dim (trying to hide something?). We had to ask for additional drinks, appetizer plates were not cleared from the table until the entrees were served. Members of our party that had not ordered appetizers were given their salads at the same time. Those who had appetizers, were given their salads once the appetizers were served. We were there for 2 hours and 15 minutes. If the restaurant was full I would allow for the drop in service quality...but alas, that was not the case. KEG each and every time is fast, accurate, very tasty and hot, and worth the cost.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Bonita B

“Not worth the $$$$”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Definitely not worth the high prices. The steak was cooked to my liking but had no seasoning at all. It desperately needed sauce, which of course you have to pay for. The next time I feel like spending too much for steak I'll go to Baton Rouge or the Keg where it won't feel like as much of a waste.

2 Thank Carl C
“Not what it use to be”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

A frequent customer at this restaurant, I was extremely disappointed and embarrassed on my last visit Saturday August 17, 2013. I was entertaining family members and took them to Al's for a great steak dinner which turned out to be not so great. Except for one person we were all very disappointed with our meal. We all had burnt steaks although we had ordered them medium and had to return 2 plates as the steaks were rare. When we received back our plates, the steaks were completed burnt not to mention another of my guest received his steak the first time burnt instead of medium rare.

I recommend to anyone who eats at this restaurant and if your steak is not the way your ordered it, request another steak so you don't get the same steak back and completely burnt.

When you play over $290.00 you expect a decent meal. On top of all this, the restaurant was not busy. Good luck if you go on a busy night.

2 Thank Sylbeauchamp
Silver Spring, MD
“Not all that good”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I was brought here by an old friend of many years who knows the owner and assured me that this was a fine steak house. I was disappointed. The "famous" house salad was bland with the faintest hint of dressing and the steaks, when they arrived, seemed far smaller than the advertized size (yes, I know restaurants advertize the pre-cooked size of whatever they are preparing). In all I would not recommend Al's for a night out, certainly not at their prices!

2 Thank Jimindc2007
Ottawa, Canada
“You can never go wrong with Al's”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Always excellent food and service. A little more upscale than many places along Elgin St, especially since a major makeover some years back. But the quality has remained. An Ottawa institution, near major hotels, the Hill, Rideau Canal and museums.

Visited August 2013