“Embarassingly poor dish”

Price range: US$12 - US$49
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Now in the business of serving superb meals for over 50 years, Al's proudly offers only certified Angus beef, as well as succulent chicken dishes, seafood, and even hearty lunchtime salads, sandwiches, and filet mignons. And it's all served up by a friendly, knowledgeable staff amidst chic, contemporary decor. Open daily for lunch and dinner. Al's also boasts a conference room that can accommodate up to 130 guests. Reservations recommended. Ample free parking.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I ordered the 5oz filet mignon with vegetables because I can't eat the amount of steak usually served in steak houses. The house salad which is included in the price of the main course was acceptable although the curls of carrot are a bit difficult to eat with decorum. However, when the meat dish arrived I was startled by its presentation. A very small piece of steak - all right I did ask for the 5oz - accompanied by - da da - two sticks of soggy and tough broccoli and a sprig of parsley. No potatoes, no sauce for the steak and "vegetables" meant two inedible sticks of broccoli? I tried the broccoli but couldn't cut it with my knife. The steak was rather dry especially without any sauce and not very tender. When the waitress came by to see if everything was "all right" I had to tell her that for the money - an amazing $26 - I was not pleased. I asked to see the manager who came and explained to me that this was a new healthy way of preparing the broccoli by baking it in the oven!!! So healthy that no-one would eat it, probably. I said that for the price I expected potatoes and at least a sauce for the steak. He told me that I could have sauce at an extra price. Now really this is supposed to be a steak house. How much more would I have to pay for the smallest filet mignon you will ever find on a menu to get a sauce, a potato and some decent vegetables. He persisted somewhat in making excuses but eventually I said I would not eat it. I was eventually compensated with a completely different dish with a medley of vegetables which the waitress ensured would make up for the first dish. I believe she was embarassed, too.
Canadians travel a lot and expect more for their money in restaurants. Frankly, I felt ripped off. Visitors to our capital would not get a good impression of our city if they are served meals like this at these prices.

There are newer reviews for Al's Steakhouse & Seafood

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I'm a steak lover. A true carnivore and I have had my share of steaks but nothing comes close to a steak from Al's steak house. Of course you must have the salad with the house dressing. It's is sooooo good they actually sell the dressing to take home. Service is flawless, décor is nice and clean. Doesn't have that western or country full of junk on the walls that other steak house have. But don't be fooled with the atmosphere. Once you start eating the walls disappear and you dive into another world of savors.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Came at Al's with my staff for our Christmas 2013 team celebration lunch.

Their salad (house dressing) and mussels are still a real treat and the steaks tasty, but Al's is not what is used to be... Tables too close to each other. Service was average, often waiting between visits to the table by the servers. For a while, years ago, one used steaks at Al's to judge the others around. Now this honour is gone and the restaurant is barely keeping up with the other high end dining alternatives.

If you rarely splurge on more expensive dining, you may want to consider alternatives to Al's since the value and dining experience here has faded away over the years.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Very poor food. Cannot cook a proper steak as requested other than rare or well done. Don't know how they stayed in business this long. Would not recommend this restaurant to my worst enemy. You can get a better steak at Dunn's up the street and they don't even specialize in steaks.
Poor to Terrible !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Last night our party had a reservation and arrived on time. We were promptly seated. The waitress (I am not sure that is what she does for a living, but she is the one who took our orders) acted as though we were very lucky to have her as our wait staff. I beg to differ, from the get go this older lady displayed non-chalance when communicating with our group. She never asked if we had any questions about the menu, she seemed unfamiliar with how one side dish was prepared and we asked her to inquire for us. She said " oh, you want me to actually ask?" The food was tasty but not worth the price, after the food was delivered there was no follow up until we were finished. The mixed vegetables were cold. The lighting was VERY dim (trying to hide something?). We had to ask for additional drinks, appetizer plates were not cleared from the table until the entrees were served. Members of our party that had not ordered appetizers were given their salads at the same time. Those who had appetizers, were given their salads once the appetizers were served. We were there for 2 hours and 15 minutes. If the restaurant was full I would allow for the drop in service quality...but alas, that was not the case. KEG each and every time is fast, accurate, very tasty and hot, and worth the cost.

2  Thank Bonita B