“Excellent!”

Ranked #7 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Airdrie, Canada
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This place was incredible! And the rates were very reasonable. (Not sure if that is typical or whether they lowered the prices because of construction.) Even though there is construction, the hotel is spotlessly clean. It is right on the edge of the airport but in 2 days/nights we never heard a single plane. Our standard 2-queen room was huge, and the bathroom was even bigger. Tons of counter space to spread out all our toiletries. Comfy beds with adjustable firmness controls and real duvets (not microfiber blankets). The air conditioner worked well and was very quiet. Common areas are very spacious, brightly lit and everything is tastefully decorated. The front lobby was gorgeous, and this is truly a Hilton that lives up to its name. Walk in the front door and there is infused ice water, self-serve coffee, decaf, tea, hot chocolate, a platter of cookies, bowls of mints, a fireplace and tons of comfortable seating. It is not at the heart of the city for sight-seeing, but it is right on the Airport Parkway and we were able to get downtown in 20 minutes. Front desk staff were very helpful, giving advice on where to find free parking downtown and things to see/do. Lots of restaurants fairly close (you need a car), and staff have maps that make finding things easy.

Now for a couple negatives (because nobody is perfect!): #1, the on-site restaurant. Service was quick & courteous, but for the quality of food (just average) it was a bit over-priced. Breakfast is available for an extra fee...it would be nice to have a standard continental breakfast included with all rooms. #2, the Wifi. It was not reliable. We kept losing connections. We contacted the front desk and they said they would notify the service provider. Not sure if the problem was related to the construction, or because we had 3 devices going at one time, or just a bad signal.

In spite of the glitches, we highly recommend this hotel! If we ever have the opportunity to visit Ottawa again, this is where we will stay. Loved it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lunchbag917

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Honestly, this Hilton has the most comfortable beds I've ever enjoyed in a hotel. Even though it has the standard hotel room layout, the room was large and very comfortable. Perfectly clean, too. Staff are pretty friendly, and the food at the restaurant was very nice. You can basically see the runway from the hotel, so if you're staying over before a flight, the location can't be better....though it's almost worth it to stay longer just to take advantage of the little pool, exercise room, and the fantastic beds. Oh my god, the beds.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Karen R
Delaware, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I love Ottawa and when I decided to stop in the city recently I wasn't sure where to stay. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express before and liked it but I decided to try this property because it was a bit less expensive. I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed my stay. Check in was a breeze and the woman at the front desk was very nice and seemed like she was happy I was there. Property is lovely even though they are expanding in a major way adding 100+ rooms, it didn't impact my stay. I did not hear any construction noise. In fact, our room overlooked a runway and I did not even hear aircraft noise. We watched planes take off and land with no noise. Room was big too. Construction won't last forever and it did not impact the quality of our stay. Next time in Ottawa I will certainly give this property a look.

1 Thank Jake427
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

If you're reading this review to find how nice this hotel it, STOP! It's a Hilton Garden Inn. It's a standard 3 star hotel give or take a star based on all experiences with the brand. If you're trying to find a hotel in Ottawa that can personalize your stay in an unbelievable fashion, read on. I'm on my way and laying over in Detroit. Food options are at a minimum at DTW at 10:00PM, (I don't know why). I call the hotel in Ottawa and ask them how late I can order. The gal transfers me to the restaurant and they offer me the full menu over the phone so I can pre order. When I arrive at midnight EDT, I'm from the US west coast so 3 hours behind, my dinner is waiting along with two glasses of wine. That's the best part of the story but the service, food and overall attitude at this Hilton Garden Inn were inspiring. They were incredibly helpful with shipping packages, arranging a car for an appt. and a also to take us for a short tour of the city for our 3 hour wait before flying back to Portland, OR. I highly recommend this spot to anyone traveling to Ottowa. The only downside was that it's not city central, that's a short 20 minute ride away. Cheers to the staff. OH, AND THE FOOD WAS EVEN GOOD. Pasta for dinner, Veggie Omelette for breakfast and believer it or not I went back to get my luggage and had lunch, the Turkey wrap.

Room Tip: I always stay on a low floor. This may not be a great tourist spot but it's perfect for busines...
1 Thank Grantman66
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This Garden Inn was certainly up to that chain's standards. The room was of excellent quality, with good sound-proofing and a quiet air conditioner. The bar/restaurant area is smart casual and the common areas have the feel of a more expensive place. The construction of a whole new wing next door had no effect on my one-night stay. The front desk and bar staff were excellent, as was the driver of the hotel's free shuttle to the terminal -- about 5 minutes away.

Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

There is something about that Hilton name… When in a strange place you know that you can get a certain level of amenities and service. It's sort of like finding a McDonald's after a week of adventurous European cuisine (but pricier). Forced by the airline to lay over, we made the "safe" choice and weren't disappointed. Maybe it was the 4 AM departure, or the long walking tour of Parliament Hill, or maybe the adjustable mattress was set just right, but we slept very well. The front desk was VERY helpful, giving us detailed instructions for taking the bus to Parliament Hill and back and giving us the exact change required for the trip. Their only failing was not knowing that on Wednesday, seniors ride free, but that's even better! They have a good restaurant, including a breakfast buffet, and the shuttle service is very efficient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snochasr
AlisonHunter, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for your review. Our team is here to make your entire stay memorable and I am glad they did not dissapoint. We hope to see you again perhaps on a planned trip this time.
ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Last year I reviewed this hotel and found it favourable. We stayed here again for two nights, then more recently again for a single night, and while it was generally a good experience, there were some shortcomings.

Last year the hotel was under construction and there was a temporary entrance. After a year, the entrance is still a bumpy, single track, poorly signed, dirt road. The path out of the parking area is by another route, but also poorly signed. Surely better arrangements were possible for a year’s construction.

Check-in and check-out were mostly efficient, but somewhat cold and reserved. On our most recent visit, the price was more than $50 more than several weeks before. I was told that rates change - no other explanation. At the higher rate it was not a particularly good deal.
Rooms on one side of the upper floors overlook one runway and taxiways, as well as the First Air and Fedex hangars, and one can see some aircraft movements, without being noisy. Aeroplane afficionados should try for this view.

Our rooms were spacious, with a king bed, and a good work desk, once with a couch and an oversized leather footstool, the other time with armchair, side table and small footstool. Nevertheless, the furniture was small for the size of the rooms. One more easy chair could have been placed to advantage for two persons. Indeed, in spite of the king bed and large room, it seems designed for one person. The 32" television was too small for the room. There was a small refrigerator, much appreciated to store water and beer on a very hot summer night. There was a Keurig coffee system and a microwave, lots of storage space, good bedside tables with particularly good lamps. Overall the lighting was very good, including a good desk lamp and good bathroom lights for shaving.

The bathroom was large, with lots of counter space and plenty of supplies. Oddly-placed toilets meant a very long reach for toilet paper. For safety, the tub needed another grab bar, and some non-skid finish on the bottom. Surprisingly, at the start of the busy tourist season, the bathroom was somewhat battered, needing a paint job and re-grouting and a basin was badly cracked.

There were free WiFi and cable connections to the Internet, efficient enough once one reached it, however the hotel’s website does not come up automatically when one tries to connect. According to the hotel guide, internet instructions were in the desk, but they were in neither room that we had.

The dining room was also a mixed experience. We had several breakfasts and one dinner. One morning, when I had to go out early, I had to order the whole cold buffet just to get an English muffin and coffee. Not efficient or economical. The cold buffet itself is very humble compared to many other hotels, with only some very dry melon and berry choices to make fruit cocktail. There was a do-it-yourself waffle maker, and good croissants, but the pastry choices were very limited. There was no cheese or cold meat. One expected more for the price. The full breakfast was more satisfactory, with interesting specials, and a much better deal.

The supper menu was also interesting, but the halibut special we chose was overcooked. It was served with a very good couscous salad, but the cold salad was not really appropriate on the hot plate. The accompanying grilled yellow zucchini were too heavily peppered, and too few of them.

Service was mixed, although friendly. The dining room itself is casual, but the tables are crowded together and not relaxing. We understand the dining room is being expanded.

Room Tip: If you like to watch aeroplanes, ask for a room facing the runway on an upper floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very for your extensive review. We appreciate your feedback and welcome you back again in the future.