“Could have been a Perfect 10”

Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport
Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
naples
“Could have been a Perfect 10”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We loved our stay in every respect except for one deficiency. The hotel shower head was the worst I have ever experienced in terms of water flow and performance. In all other respects our stay was great and I would still highly recommend the facility.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Oak Harbor, United States
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel and it was a constant fight over the internet, it was also a huge hassle over rates. They also had construction noise in the morning. I was very disenchanted with the experience. When I disputed things and questioned the poor internet the staff became very offended and mentioned that profit was more important than customers. It took an intervention of the manager to make things right.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We only stayed 1 night, we got a good deal as part of the hotel is in construction. Very large rooms, very clean, great beds, great sheets and great mattresses. Very good soundproofing, no complaints at all. Complimentary coffee, tea, cookies, lemonade, etc. Extremely close to the airport which is a big bonus. Great experience.

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We booked our stay more than 2 weeks in advance.
We called directly to The Hilton Garden and tried to book room as advertised when speaking with the gentleman who had a chip on his shoulder to start with( I thought maybe having bad day so you let it go) he advised us we had to go online and get that price he can't give it( his was $10 more) so I said uh ok and went to site and booked room.Would it not seem more sensible to take booking directly and save booking fees I thought only to learn if they do this they can say everything that goes wrong is not there fault and they get to put one over on Hilton rewards this way lol.I had mentioned we were coming up for wedding and at no point did Hilton front desk say is there others coming up to city for this that could use a room, you blew that one lesson on sales
So after booking we realized there was breakfast in hotel and I call back to hotel to see if we can pay a rate to get breakfast included, once again the happy desk clerk told me to go back to Webb I explained I was willing to cancel my booking with Webb if we could get the pkg price with the breakfast included which was more expensive but desk clerk said no cant do that sorry.
So now I have called 3 x to hotel directly and never once do they mention hotel is under construction.
When we arrive the clerk female also seemed to be having same bad day as gentleman before.
We had also signed up for Hilton membership when we booked room and were told that entitled us to free room upgrade when we check in(I'm sorry I should back track and mention that the wonderful man at front desk transferred us to a great hard sell tatic line that you could not get off line trying to sell you into there time shares in states.
I'm not sure if our decline played any part of this horrible service or not or fact we were only low leval silver members?????since we had just signed up.
After we check in room I see we have not got our free upgrade that they sell you on Hilton Rewards Membership the warm girl at front desk says oh I'm sorry not here you must of misunderstood! Then I went down to bar to order a couple drinks I had to ask bar tender if he forgot me as I sat in front of his face, this guy forgot his wheaties that day anyways.
The next day we decided that we wanted to take in the ByWard market and maybe stay extra night so we call down once again all of a sudden the room jumps in price we ask if we cannot just get it for same price since it is still being advertised on net, we are told no go to net by that time we have had it. So we went to the net and booked another night in another hotel.
Which greeted us with smile and was within 2 blocks of ByWard market and came with Living room,Dining room, full stocked kitchen our own laundry room and spacious bedroom with large bath for $110. Thank you Les Suites .
In short sweet the service was so bad at this hotel you couldn't even get over it to enjoy the clean comfortable bed & room.
And I might ad if you wanted a bowl of cereal you had to purchase a $10 or $12 or $15 breakfast sorry I can't remember the higher end price if it was 12 or 15.
I would not recommend this place ever for simple reason if I have to work til my hair is grey to get a hotel to want my business and make me feel welcomed I will find one esp in a large city with a lot of competition.
Why do I have to keep going to Internet is that not what your front desk person is for????
Because of this whole hassle and complete journey I had to go on to just get a bloody room I cannot rate this place any higher than 1 star as all my energy is now gone to getting the grey out of my hair this hotel put in it!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank hawkeye1962
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Very good hotel right next to the airport. If you would like to see planes landing and taking off, request a high floor facing the runways. All services were very good but the restaurant food could use a makeover with more variation and better food.

Washinton DC, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Really enjoyed my hotel stay. Room and staff were great. The only con would be, its not in walking distance of any restaurants or anything convenient. I would highly suggest this hotel, if you want to get around you would have to rent a car or get a taxi.

Downpatrick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We chose this hotel because we got a really good deal on the way out on an expedition to Polar Shelf Canada from Europe, but we also paid a higher price to stay there on the way home.
Hotel is VERY close to airport. Rooms are large, well-appointed and properly sound insulated. Courtesy coach worked smoothly in both directions. Staff very helpful, particularly in leaving bags and providing information for whilst we visited Ottawa on the home run, which is an easy (and very impressive dedicated route) bus ride in and out (slightly more attention required on the way out to catch the correct stop!) from nearby stop. Bar staff helpful, breakfast (for which we were able to extract inclusion at reception, on the way home at the higher price) was adequate. For those from outside Canada, remember that if breakfast is included, the staff still expect a tip!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
AlisonHunter, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased you enjoyed your stays.