“Wonderful food”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Ottawa, Canada
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I was lucky enough to be taken out to the Cheshire Cat today for my birthday lunch. I have enjoyed this place in the past and it was great again today.
I had the butter lamb curry for the first time and it is one of those meals that I am going to have a craving for in the future.
The only downside to the restaurant is that it is noisy in the upstairs eating area when it is busy, which it was today.

• Visited June 2014

Ottawa, ON
“better than my lst visit”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We came here for my friend Mike's birthday lunch.

Food: he had some kind of beef and cheese melt sandwich and salad. I had something like shepherd's pie and vegetables.

Atmosphere: same layout as before the fire but no more old-timey smell.

Service: was pretty busy so we waited an hour for lunch

Price: pretty good during lunch

Overall: I would return

• Visited June 2014
Ottawa
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We showed up around 6:15pm on a gorgeous Sunday evening, and were told it would be a 30-40 minute wait. After about 25 minutes, we were seated upstairs. The tables are really close together, and the room is a bit cold and sterile, but we were comfortable. We ordered the fish and chips, roast beef and Yorkshire puddings, and the Elk pie. All the food was fantastic, and the prices very reasonable, especially the fish and chips - definitely the best in Ottawa. The fish was flaky and buttery, and the batter was light and perfect. Parking was a bit a of a problem, as the lot was packed (and full of holes), but I would definitely go back.

• Visited May 2014
“To follow up my last review”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

About a month ago I wrote a review in which I expressed displeasure at the lack of ability to reserve on a weekend at the Cheshire Cat.

Well, I tried the Cheshire again with three friends on a Thursday night. We didn't have a problem getting a table but I did have a problem with my food. It took a long time to order, which we were ok with. But when we were finally able to order, I asked the waitress about one dish, specifically whether it had tomatoes. The waitress indicated that it just had tomato in the sauce but not chunks of tomato. So I ordered the dish. (I don't understand it either: I can eat tomato sauce and soup if it is pureed, I just cannot stomach tomato chunks and gag).

More than a half hour later, the waitress came back and indicated that the dish had more tomato than she had originally indicated. I asked if there were tomato chunks and she replied that there were not. When the dish I arrived, I was displeased to see that yes, indeed, there were many chunks of tomato.

Sending the dish back wasn't an option as it would take another hour to get a new dish, and my friends had their food. I spent 15 minutes trying to pick off the tomatoes.

I just don't understand this lack of attention. It would have been very easy to immediately find out about the tomato situation.

Everyone at the table agreed that there was no way that the waitress should have passed this dish off as not having tomatoes.

That makes twice to the Cheshire since it reopened and twice I have been disappointed.

Maybe I should give up.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Sam181738
Ottawa, Canada
“Book Club at the Cat”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

A group of 8 ladies went there on a Thursday, while the Cat doesn't take reservations on Thursdays (or weekends) we were able to get a very nice table (not squished). We all had drinks and dinner, and each one of us loved what we had. Some had fish and chips (delicious), some had wings, or a yummy dip with pita and veggies, some had duck poutine which my friend loved, and another had a sandwich where the bread melted in her mouth.

Great food, excellent beer on tap. Worth the drive from Kanata, Nepean or Ottawa if you don't live in Carp.

Visited April 2014