“Pelee Places, Excellent experience”
Review of Pelee Places

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pelee Island
Pelee Places
Ranked #4 of 13 Pelee Island B&B and Inns
Windsor, Canada
“Pelee Places, Excellent experience”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I recently stayed at Pelee Places with 2 friends for a girls get-a-way. The cottage was very nice, spacious and clean. The lake was right across the street. Amazing views from the two-tiered deck on the water. You can swim right there as well. Bev was amazing and invited us for breakfast at her B & B which was awesome with beautiful views of the lake. Breakfast was delicious. I would recommend Pelee Places and Pelee Island to everyone. I'm going to bring my family for a vacation soon. Thank you so much Bev, we had a great time!

Dawn Tellier, Windsor, Ont

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dawn T
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
It was an excellent experience to have you visit too!
Please return anytime, especially soon.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Howell, Michigan
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Not really sure why this place costs over $100 more than the lovely B&B's in the Leamington area and breakfast is not even included! It might be worth it if there were several families to split the cost but there were just the two of us and add to that the cost of round trip ferry service with a car and its just not worth it. We never met Bev and did not even have a handwritten welcome note for our 36th anniversary. I understand she invited us over for breakfast which was nice but our cell phones were out of service area on the island which I'm sure is pretty common so we didn't get the message until we had left the island. Just a suggestion but maybe a $20 gift card to the bakery down the road would be a good idea. We kept a light on in the bathroom so we could see our way if we got up at night - I guess that was a mistake, there were bugs everywhere! We didn't even take showers in that mess. One tiny a/c unit in the kitchen of all places which did not do much to cool the house much less the bedrooms. Advertised as luxury accommodation when the water is not even tested to be safe to drink? And who knows how long the water has been sitting in the large plastic containers deemed "safe". We left the island a day early because everything is overpriced and underwhelming, no wonder the population of the island has dwindled to less than 150 people. We still had a good time and made the best of our first visit ever to this island but this house was a disappointment and hard to find.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Billperchlover
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations, however, I cannot imagine what your expectations might have been!
For the price of two rooms at a b&b, you rented a magnificent stone house, built in the 1840's, complete with a full kitchen, screened-in gazebo, 200' beach with deck.fire wood, charcoal, bottled drinking water, DVD movies, fresh herbs and berries, coffee and filters,CDs and iPod docking station, new sheets and towels, new couch and loveseat, 2 overhead fans, a window air conditioner, a portable air conditioner, a commercial stand up fan, 3 table fans, a bathroom nightlight, an intact screen on the front door, and some fresh flowere to recognize your 36th wedding anniversary. The free bikes and winery tour passes we provide also add to the value we try to provide.
You did not mention that it was such a special occasion when booking, so when I received a mendicant email the day before your arrival -- "Hey, it's our 36th wedding anniversary. What are you going to do for us?" -- I was somewhat take aback, but responded immediately, inviting you to breakfast, (not usually included with the Stone House) and arranging for flowers.
I was flattered to read another reviewer's assessment of my yummy breakfast as being worth $20.00 per person, so your suggestion that I should have been standing on the porch of the Stone House waving a gift certificate for the bakery for $20.00, on arrival, or at least including same with a handwritten note amazes me. My helper who did meet you said you were very nice.
You complained about the price of your accommodation and the prices on the island in general. Yes, everything is more expensive on Pelee, especially hydro electricity. So, when you say you left the bathroom light on, you really mean that you left the vanity light, with 4 bulbs on, instead of the nightlight provided. Do you really wonder why bugs were attracted by the light? The house has the original 1840's windows!
So, I'm sorry you didn't make it up for a yummy breakfast. The table was set for you. I thought it rather unusual not to receive a response to my invitation, but apparently you felt you deserved more for your special occasion.
I do appreciate your constructive criticism, and once I finish paying for the taxes, hydro, gardening, wheelchair ramp, pest prevention, plumbing upgrades, cleaning, stainless fridge recently installed, new window coverings (or even windows if I choose to compromise the integrity of the Stone House), I'll consider buying gift certificates. In the meantime, I would be intrigued if you would share your thoughts on the appropriate welcomes for the two couples sharing their 40ths, the honeymooners, and especially the couple who came from China to spend their first anniversary on Pelee Island, where they were engaged. All of these people visited Pelee Places the same week that you did. I tried to make their visits special too, and I hope I didn't disappoint them by not buying a dinner at the A & W!
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at Pelee Places the weekend of June 30th, 2014, great stay. The cottage we stayed at was 69 Eastshore Rd, just down from the light house. At the time we were the only people staying at the cottage which was nice since we had the place to ourselves. Bev the owner would come in each morning and cook an awesome breakfast for us each day, I don't know if you get the breakfast at the Stone house Cottage. The breakfast is something that you would pay $20 a plate for at a regular restaurant so you won't be hungry after. Bev was very nice and provided us with all the information we need to to tour around the island for a couple days. It was nice to have her around to talk with each day. Her cottage is very clean and has all the items you need including toiletries. We road my motorcycle up so it was nice to not have to pack much.
Make use you book the ferry well in advance since it only holds 40 cars and books up fast. You can park your car and walk over, you will just have to cab it around the island. Make sure to visit the winery during the day. They have a live band playing.

Nice stay and good couple days to hang out.

Room Tip: - we had the larger room with the bathroom attached.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words. I do try to be unobtrusive, especially when my guests have the house to themselves. It is great to know how many people have come just to dance in that great front room at the B&B.
I noticed you didn't appreciate our remote location so much, which is why I recommend one of the houses on the North Shore if you want to be able to walk to the bakery or pubs. The B&B is the place for privacy, sunrises and sunsets.
Cheers,
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I visit Pelee Island every summer for a couple days during the time I am at my family cottage in Leamington. My primary reason for visiting the island is snake photography and the various nature reserves. In the past few years I have stayed in the Pelee Places Stone House twice (2010, 2012) and the Guest House once (August 2013). Location wise the two houss are next door to each other on the North side of the island. The Stone House is interesting because it is the oldest house I have ever slept in and definitely constructed differently than homes today. The Stone House has an excellent screened in gazebo out back which is a great place to lounge around if you are there for a while and trying to escape the black flies. The Guest House seems a little larger than the Stone House to me. The Guest House has a screened in patio area in the front with a couple comfortable chairs which is also a great place to sit around. Both houses have air conditioning which is important on days I’ve been there when it is 90+ degrees and are much better than other houses I have rented on the island over the years. Both houses have beach access for when you want to swim just cross the road. A definite plus is that unlike most other rental homes on the island Pelee Places does not require a multiple day or week rental if they have a day or two open between renters, since I am usually only here a day or two. I have met Bev on only one occasion because the rest of the times I was out exploring but found notes explaining she had stopped by. She was very friendly to talk to on that occassion and on my other trips over the phone and email. Payment can be done over the phone and email so it is easy to arrange your stay and know how to enter the house. One thing to realize is that certain areas of Pelee Island do not have "safe" drinking water and have not for probably a decade or more now. That is not the fault of the place you are staying in it affects every property in those sections of the island so bring your own drinking water, although some is provided in both of these houses. Any of the Pelee Places homes are a great place to stay if you are visiting Pelee Island.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Adam W
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review. It is great to get repeat guests every year who love Pelee Island's wondrous beauty. Please return anytime.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have vacationed on Pelee every summer since 2000. I used to stay at the Blueberry Inn until Fran's passing and so the next year I started a hunt for a new spot and found Bev and her cottages. First year we stayed with her at the B&B and this year we stayed in the Guest House with 5 adults and 1 child for 3 nights. Bev is a great host and takes care of you. And I will continue to stay with her in the future. If you know the island and its history, you have to appreciate that people like Bev take the time and energy to offer these places to stay. It is not easy getting resources over. And once you get to know the host, you are family and welcomed back. I'm sure there are many other great hosts on Pelee but I'm not one to chance a bad stay when I am perfectly happy with Bev. I read the recent negative review and think that person just did not open themselves to the charm of the island and its wonderful oddities. If you travel to Pelee with a positive mindset, you will always have a great time. The Guest house is on the best part of the island with a water view and easy stroll to your private beach. We took over our Stand Up Paddle Boards and paddle over some beautiful shallow water with amazing rocks underneath and huge fish swimming around us. I was thankful to be able to leave my board by the house and not care about someone stealing it while we enjoyed our day. Next year, I hope to stay in the Stone house which is one of the most beautiful houses on the island in my book.

Room Tip: Bev does provide drinking water-We brought our own and next time with save the car space for other g...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah M
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Wow! Your review is almost as fantastic as you are!
If I could rate my guests, you too would earn five stars, with ease. A really smart and witty adventurous soul, who finds peace on the island, and brings numerous friends with the same qualities in greater numbers every year? Slam dunk for you! I give you six stars! Especially when I get invited to your fantastic meals!
I am glad you found the unfounded review hurtful, too. All of my helpers, especially the volunteer wwoofers and my friends, and family work really hard to provide a first class experience in an often challenging environment.
The best part is that now people want to come dance with me in the sunrise in my kitchen! Thanks, you, Colette, Ellen Degeneres and Eva Marsh!
Smooches, Bev
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed at the B & B for couple of days of R & R at the end of May 2013. This lovely home is beautifully decorated, clean, comfortable, and is right on the water, where you can sit in the sun watching the boats go by and the waves rolling up to the shore. It's very quiet and relaxing and our hostess, Bev, was very friendly and accommodating. The winery tour was fabulous, as were the miles of beaches to stroll along. Pelee Island is the 'perfect weekend getaway from it all' place and Pelee Places is the place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MustangSally2008
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you so much for enjoying the guest house. You are right that it is perfect for a family. For romance, people pick the Stone House! We (wwoofers!) been doing some painting since your visit and the house is looking even cuter. Please come back anytime.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We just returned from a two-night stay at The Guest House. This is a charming little cottage adjacent to the Stone House, with a deck and fire/bbq area out back. Nicely decorated and stocked with everything you'll need for a picnic, bbq or a rainy day (sans food, of course), this spacious little cottage has 3 bedrooms - one with a queen-sized bed, one with bunk beds and a double bed suitable for children, and one with two twins. Perfect for couples or small families. We will definitely make plans to return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kbdid
br05, Owner at Pelee Places, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I was so happy to invite you to enjoy breakfast at the b&b as we had room at the table and you got along so well with the other guests here. I love lively conversation in the morning and you made me laugh whilst I cooked. It was one of those days when it could rain all day and no one would care, although I think we were blessed with Pelee sunshine the entire time you were here.
Smooches,
#1 of 2 in Kingsville
Edgewater Hotel
Edgewater Hotel
#4 of 7 in Put in Bay

Been to Pelee Places? Share your experiences!