All reviews vanessa restrooms mosquitoes camping privacy ferry
Reviewed 30 June 2017

We loved our stay at East Park. The sites are spacious but secluded with a variety of sun/ shade combinations. While it a no-frills camp, it was well-kept and maintained, cleaner and nicer than many "resort" type campgrounds we've experienced. The bathrooms were clean and functioned well (even hot water showers unlike some places!)

The staff was friendly and helpful (it would be nice if they were present for longer hours than 11 am-7pm). They went far above and beyond in returning to me by post an item I left behind in the shower.

The only areas for improvement would be to provide a place to wash dishes and more places to easily get water (other than the bathroom sinks). Basic electric service would be nice, but maybe that's what keeps the place inexpensive and quiet! And they may want to consider spraying for mosquitoes; they were the only truly negative aspect but I certainly wouldn't hold that against the campground. Maybe it's better later in the summer.

Room Tip: Closed-in sites, while cool & shady, are more buggy.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew U
Reviewed 5 September 2016 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay and site. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. The showers and bathroom were clean and the camp store had ice and firewood. Most sites were private and picturesque but a bit of a walk to bathroom. The downfall is the ONLY WATER SOURCE was from the bathroom sinks and they weren't large enough for any large jug refills. This was confusing and surprising.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jane L
Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

This is a beautiful place! All the sites are surrounded by natural undisturbed woods, and the grounds are very well kept. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the store/washrooms had everything we needed. Even though this was the hottest week of the year, we still enjoyed ourselves.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2016

one who want to get lost in nature, no doubt, Pelee island is the best. Moreover the camping in East Park Campground is unconditional natural experience. simply the best!
after 11 pm there is noise curfew so we enjoyed singing and music till the time, for sure no one wants to escape from this.
couple of steps, there is the best public beach in the island. the sunrise scene from the beach mind blowing! feel the color of nature, Nature is really the best artist of the universe!

Room Tip: do not forget to bring insects repellent and lights!
Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rad2016442
Reviewed 31 May 2016

My two boys and I just got back from a 3-day weekend camping trip at East Park Campground on Pelee island. I read reviews ahead of time, and am glad I didn't take some of the negative ones seriously. We do a fair amount of camping, ranging from car/tent camping, VW camper bus camping, wilderness backpacking and canoe camping, and this time we bike camped, since we couldn't get our VW camper over to Pelee on a ferry (my wife and I have a background as backpacking instructors). Pelee Island is a perfect place for bike camping, and this campground was a great base camp. Very friendly and helpful staff, clean and functional bathrooms/showers, and nice services of recreational equip for use of campers (bats, balls, gloves to use the ball diamond on property, etc). Also enjoyed the wildlife - wild turkeys and a grey fox, not to mention all sorts of birds, toads, and other good sightings.

Re: some other reviews I saw with complaints - someone complained about the size of the toilet stalls. Hmmmm...Maybe they've changed something, but I'm 6ft tall, and wouldn't have called the toilet stalls cramped - they were normal. Someone also said the campground was loud, but we were there on Memorial Day weekend, and it was very quiet, not to mention the 10pm quiet time rule, no alcohol rule, etc. So I'm not sure what weekend you'd have to come to have a bunch of unruly, loud neighbors - that's hard to imagine based on our peaceful experience there - I would say this is a very family friendly campground. And someone talked about the bugs, which makes me wonder if they've ever been camping before. In sum, if you're looking for a KOA with a putt-putt golf course and video arcade, don't come here, and there might be some busy weekends on the island where it would be more crowded, but that's true of any campground - check out what the busy times are before you plan your trip...

As for the island itself, I'd say it's an ideal place to try a bike camping trip with kids - not all island roads are paved (the roads from the ferry to the campground ARE paved), but are still ridable, so they can get good experience on different terrains if you choose to explore the whole island. Great place to slow down and enjoy just being somewhere. Best beaches I've seen in the Lake Erie islands (I grew up going to South Bass and Kelley's islands, camping or staying in cabins/cottages), so fantastic place for some beach time, plus some interesting historical sites on the island. Not many shops, and only a few restaurants, so a great place to get away from shopping, too. All in all, the campground is simple, well-tended, and I chatted with some island administrators during our visit, who said that they look to continue to invest in the campground and improve its offerings, so this should be a good place to some for the future. We will be back.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family