“Something well worth the journey.......” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Explore Pelee

Explore Pelee
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The eco-tourism based company ‘Explore Pelee’ was established by Anne Marie Fortner 9 years ago to help make your trip to Pelee hassle free. Local tour guides will show you all the secret magical spots of the island and give historical accounts of life in Canada’s most southern community. Southwestern Ontario is scattered with quaint, small communities full of culture, history and peaceful country landscapes. Pelee Island’s magical charm has been coined the Canadian Caribbean. Some travel far to vacation, but Canada’s most southern community, Pelee Island, is right in your backyard.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Toronto, Canada
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Something well worth the journey.......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This year we stayed at home for vacation,and we made a road trip to Leamington,about an hour from Windsor Ont. We stayed at The Comfort Inn on Erie Street. Although a chain Motel,this location was one of the best I have ever visited. Clean,quiet and comfortable,with a breakfast included.
The main treat in this trip was visiting Pelee Island. An hour and a half ferry ride from Leamington it is a little piece of heaven. We rented bikes and cycled from one end of the island to the other. So many things to see,including a nature reserve with the most southern part of main land Canada being a part of it.
My favourite part was visiting the winery! They have a huge picnic area, and a BBQ hut where you can purchase fresh meat and do it yourself BBQ! It is also possible to purchase glasses or bottles of the wines from the vineyard to have with lunch or take as a treat home with you.
When we visited a wedding reception was taking place what a great idea!
This was a great trip and I would highly recommend it for Canadians or visitors alike!
The ferry ride is very inexpensive but 24 hours notice is required if bringing your car,just a helpful hint!

6 Thank Lorraine K

Belleville, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Pelee Island is a nice little getaway. A quiet island with relaxing atmosphere, We just spent one day and one night but were able to tour the entire island, visit the winery, eat yellow perch and trek to the light house and see a massive 6 foot yellow striper snake in the driveway - could have done without that. My goal was to see the most southern part of Canada - I have now - without a need to return.

1 Thank loyalist
Chatham, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

So to begin we were going to take the big blue bus tour. So happy we choose these amazing ladies instead.
The tour guide Burney grew up there and knew so much about her home and was so informative. We made many stops along the way and she was more then willing to answer countless questions about the Island. She was also willing to take group pictures for us at various spots. On any of the stops if we wanted to get out of the van and take pictures she encouraged us to. I noticed on the Blue Bus Tour this was not an option they only got off once. The best thing about this tour I think is that it is more personal your not with 50 other people. I would recommend anyone going to the Island to go on this tour is more then worth your money. Oh and did I mention A/C and comfy seats!!!

These ladies made our trip to Pelee Island so enjoyed and fun we will be back for sure and will take the tour again.

Thanks =)

2 Thank Pickard34
Selkirk, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Tourning the Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Absolutely beautiful. It is so nice to see a island like pelee so preserved and so well cared for. The inhabitants of the island should be applauded. Especially the farmers. What beautiful fields and farms. So clean and refreshing. No wonder people never want to leave.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Pelee Island is my new found Paradise!!!!!!!!! It can be yours too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband, a business world traveler - has taken me to many traditional vacation spots - i.e. Maldives - pure white sand, clear water, private tropical islands, many people would consider their dream vacation.

Pelee Island has out done even the Maldives for me! It is my Paradise for the simple fact that it helps me escape reality. The fun begins taking the ferry boat over to the Island. There are so many B&B's which have had great reviews besides the B&B I have experienced there for two years now (having only been twice to Pelee). "The Gathering Place" gets my vote! with an infinity star rating of excellence. Excellence in Cleanliness, Attractiveness, Plenty of Delicious Homecooked food, presented in the finest fashion, a host & hostess who go above & beyond to educate you about the Island and the fun things you can do. The Island has a top-of-the-line bakery, soft ice cream stand, hard ice cream stand, winery, museum, arts & crafts center, hardware store, post office, gift shop, lighthouse, a few restaurants serving food that everyone loves including the perch & pickeral being specialties, of course and more. You can rent boats and bikes, or bring your own bikes like we do. Most of all you can sit and relax feeling the wonderful breezes, as you enjoy beautiful sunsets while listening to the sounds of the wide variety of birds that come to the Island. It is a bird lover's Paradise - therefore my Paradise! For those who love to swim - jump in and enjoy the waves! I am a naturalized American Citizen who resides in PA, USA who looks forward to this getaway every year now. I plan to return every year until the day I die. I love you Pelee and miss you!! Kathryn Burtch

2 Thank Kathryn B