We were at this hotel on May 22 and 23, 2014, to attend a meeting that included participants who came from a wide areas of Ontario.
It's located along a river and, as requested, we had a room that gave us a close view of the water, foliage and ducks. The small balcony, requested by me when making the booking, was a nice inclusion.
Located on the top floor of the two-floor structure, the room itself, while comparatively on the smaller side, was quite ample for our needs -- clean and well appointed. The king size bed was very comfortable. There was daily attention given to the room by the maid.
Wherever we went within the hotel, staff members were friendly, helpful and smiling. There were no issues with the room or staff. We did run into a small glitch with opening a stubbord outside door with our key card but that was settled fairly quickly when the front desk was advised.
The last night of our stay included supper for our large group (over 100) in the banquet room. While that room itself is well appointed, it was on the crowded side for so many of us. In fact, at our table there were three chairs that could not be used because they were so close to chairs behind them and therefore could not be pulled out from our table and sat in. Evidently, the hotel incorrectly thought it could accommodate our numbers, but we managed.
Unfortunately, the meal itself was somewhat of a disappointment because the main course consisted mainly of something called "beef tenderloin with peppercorn au jus" but which more closely resembled a large and strange-looking hunk of brown whatever. There was too much and we noticed many others leaving most of that item on their plates. If one could get past the beef's appearance, one might even like the taste, although that, too, was questionable. However, our table gave points to the chef who, it appeared, was either brand new at his/her job or was trying out a new recipe. In any event, we didn't starve because the meal included oven roasted potatoes, market vegetables, fresh rolls and, the highlight, a choice of chocolate or vanilla cake, the latter being very popular.
Speaking of meals, we (the two of us) had a small supper our first day there in the hotel's restaurant. Again, it was well appointed, staff was very cordial and the food we chose was quite good. Prices, however, are rather steep. There are a couple of eating establishments across the street.
Would we stay here again or recommend it to friends? Quite possibly, because the positives outweigh the negatives. Note my remarks above regarding our hotel room. However, we might first look into the attractions of other local hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the Friendliest Service Among Peterborough, Ontario Hotels Located In the heart of the Kawarthas, the Holiday Inn Hotel Peterborough Waterfront is ideally situated along the Trent Severn Waterway in the downtown business and shopping district with 60 restaurants within walking distance. Our hotel's central location puts you near the world's highest hydraulic lift lock and Canada's only Canoe Museum, 1.5 km from our hotel. Peterborough hosts numerous festivals throughout the year, such as summer's Festival of Lights and is home to popular arts facilities, like Showplace Performance Centre. You'll also find some of the best shopping opportunities in downtown Peterborough. Lodging here puts business travelers near GE Canada, Siemens, Pepsi-QTG, De Laval, Ministry of Natural Resources and other businesses in Peterborough. Our hotel's amenities include over 650 sq. m. of meeting space, catering services and a 24-hour Business Centre. From the indoor/outdoor pool and whirlpool to the kid's playroom and recreation room, our Peterborough hotel's amenities keep you entertained. Enjoy a meal at the Riverside Grill, visit the Fitness Centre and relax in a 100% nonsmoking guest room or suite featuring comfortable beds with triple-sheeted mattresses, work areas with free high-speed Internet access, a 32-inch LCD TV and more. We invite you to stay at our hotel in Peterborough, where the only thing we overlook is the water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), IHG, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Peterborough reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Peterborough Hotel Peterborough
- Holiday Inn Peterborough Ontario
- Peterborough Holiday Inn