“Lovely city-escape weekend at beautiful Stillwater by the Lake” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stillwater on the Lake

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Peterborough
Stillwater on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 14 Peterborough B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely city-escape weekend at beautiful Stillwater by the Lake”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Sunny and Peter are warm and generous hosts. They welcomed us to their luxurious dockside suite at the water's edge and even though it proved to be a cool fall weekend we were delighted by Stillwater's beauty including, although we didn't need it, a fireplace near the foot of the ever so comfortable bed.

From the magnificent garden walk down to the water to enjoying freshly picked after-dinner mint tea beside a fire overlooking the lake, and a delicious breakfast of such a generous scale that we skipped an entire meal later that day, we had a lovely time.

We're pleased to recommend Stillwater to anyone seeking a romantic weekend to visit the Kawartha's unique heritage sites, including the petroglyphs and the Canoe Museum.

Sunny's striking decorating flare in the dockside cabin was a great pleasure. As my friend says, she's thought of everything.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BrendaGale
Sunny M, Owner at Stillwater on the Lake, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you so much Brenda for such a nice review. Peter and I were delighted to meet you and Ron and share Stillwater on the Lake with you. I hope that you enjoyed the Petroglyphs and I hope that you were able to make it to the Pow Wow despite the rain! We look forward to your return!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Some places can't live up to the fancy photos you see on a website. Stillwater on the Lake is quite the opposite- the photos can't do this place justice by capturing it's beauty and feel through a lens. Literally loved every aspect of it. The walk to the room through the wonderful gardens, the view over the lake, the suite, the food, the hosts. Everything was fantastic!

We stayed in the upper suite which is the basement. It is plenty spacious for two, it has a real-wood fireplace which was amazing, the furniture is top quality, windows along entire lakeside, huge modern style bedroom and bed, 50 inch flat screen in living room, dimmer lights throughout suite, very nice shower/bathroom. I could go on! Peter and Sunny really haven't overlooked any details here! This suite has it's own screened in porch running the length of the suite, with hottub! Walk outside the porch to find a stunning multi-level deck which runs down about 6-10 levels to the lake with different cozy spots and furniture on each level.

Breakfast was eggs benedict one morning and french toast the next. Both meals were amazing quality and generous portions. Peter and Sunny are such friendly hosts and very warm and welcoming. I can honestly and gladly give Stillwater on the Lake my highest recommendation. More than just a bed and breakfast, this boutique inn is worth the price!

1 Thank Dave K
Sunny M, Owner at Stillwater on the Lake, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Thanks so much for the lovely review Dave and Jenn. It was a pleasure hosting you on your wedding night. Peter and I wish you all the best for your future. We hope to see you back for one of your many anniversaries!
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend at Stillwater On The Lake and it was amazing!!! Everything about this Bed and Breakfast is PERFECTION at it's best. Our room was beautiful and the bed was to die for....the best sleep I every had...slept in for the first time in years! Sunny and Peter made everything special for us. From greeting us when we arrived to taking care of every small detail. The breakfast was OUT OF THIS WORLD...you can tell that both Sunny and Peter take pride in what they do. The property is out of a page of "House and Home". Who wouldn't want to stay forever. We are already planning our next "getaway" and can't wait to return. Thanks Sunny and Peter for EVERYTHING!!!!! Maria and Angelo

1 Thank maria t
Sunny M, Owner at Stillwater on the Lake, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you so much Maria for your glowing review! We're so glad you enjoyed your time at Stillwater on the Lake. Can't wait for you to come back for your vow renewal! Or, as Angelo says........."the current contract hasn't expired..........why do we need to renew????" Peter and I are looking forward to seeing you both again soon!
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

As soon as we arrived we knew this WAS THE PLACE. To be greeted at the door by our wonderful hosts and be lead through a beautifully manicured garden to our private cottage ON THE LAKE. The view is spectular as the deck is actually over the lake. We stayed for 3 nights and each breakfast was a gourmet's delight. Breakfast was so satisfying that there was no room for lunch. What can I say about the High Teas, except the Empress in Victoria should come for lessons. Sunny and Peter took care of all our wedding arrangements, and it was a day to be remembered forever. PERFECTION from beginning to end. I think Sunny even arranged the sun and blue sky. We have booked for next September already to enjoy our first anniversary....A big thank you for EVERYTHING......

Room Tip: the room on the lake, has a great view and NO TV, that is a good thing, But if you wish a beautiful...
2 Thank Marge F
Greetings Marge and Patrick...........What can I say? What an absolutely "magic" elopement........the Officiant was incredible, the high tea was to die for, the "couples" massages in the outdoor gazebo were unbelievably sensual...............what more can I say...........Peter and I were so proud to be able to make your weekend so incredibly special. Your ceremony was beautiful and so very personal..........the most beautiful we have ever seen. I hope we helped make your dreams come true Marge and Jed - you are beautiful people and you deserve the best in life! Thank you for sharing your day with us at Stillwater on the Lake. Your first anniversary stay is already booked and we look forward to having you back with us!
Lindsay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with a lovely getaway and brought me to Stillwater on the lake knowing I'd always wanted to go to a bed and breakfast! This mini vacation was nothing short of perfection!!! We get there and Sunny and Peter greet us with big smiles and know us by name! We get shown around and they bring us down through the beautiful garden to our cabin and private dock which is literally right on the water! The cabin (which didn't look like a cabin at all) was very modern and beautiful decorated! The sleeping was extremely comfortable and the breakfast was incredible! My boyfriend became my fiancé at Stillwater on the lake and it was nothing less than perfection! I couldn't have imagined it to be so good! A big thanks to our amazing hosts Sunny and Peter!!! You helped make a beautiful moment that we will never forget! I would recommend this to anyone and would go back in a heartbeat!! :):):)

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Sunny M, Owner at Stillwater on the Lake, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Congratulations Cait - to you and Marc on your engagement! It was so much fun to be involved in the planning of the surprise with Marc. Peter and I were thrilled for you! I'm so glad we were able to make your special moment so memorable. And, it worked out so well that we actually had a bride and groom celebrating their wedding night at the same time that you and Marc were here! It was such a great fit! We created our little paradise with romance, relaxation and privacy in mind and it is so satisfying to see young couples like you enjoying it so much! We'll be expecting you back to celebrate an anniversary at Stillwater!
Peterborough, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Wow! This beautiful B&B is a "Five Star" in our books. We have been to many B&B's and this one outshines all the others. My husband and I stayed 2 days in the Lakeside French Country Suite, we had our own private deck & lounge area, it was so peaceful and relaxing - just what we needed. We really enjoyed the amazing gourmet breakfasts!! Sunny and Peter were so warm and friendly and they made us feel so welcome. Thanks again Sunny and Peter, we will defintely be back next year. Christine & Dave.

Room Tip: We loved the "French Country Suite" right on the Lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sunny M, Owner at Stillwater on the Lake, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thanks so much for the great comments Christine! Peter and I really enjoyed your company and your sense of humour and we are pleased that you and Dave are planning on returning!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Hey Folks
Just got home from Stillwater on the Lake for a 2nd time.
I first went up there alone in late spring.I'm a musician with a band.I needed to record some harp to a few tracks that the band put down.I recorded my parts at the Lakeside suite,got some incredible results.Just a very private & peaceful environment.
During 1 song,I stepped out on the dock and the mic picked up some loons calling in the near distance,close to the end of the song.
The band thought it was so cool,we kept it in the recording.LOL.
Great place for some photography,lots of subject:sunrises,the gardens(which are spectacular!!),birds,wild life.
The 2nd time was last weekend,went up with my girlfriend,She loved it.She got in a lot of reading & relaxing.
We loved canoeing around the lake.When I got her to put a book down,we drove around the area and got some shopping & sights in.
Just lots places to go,in town and around.
Sonny & Pete are great hosts,very genuine people.We had some great conversations at breakfast.Which is a sumptuous meal.You get the feeling that they want you to have the best stay possible.
We've booked a weekend in October and we can't wait.We're looking forward to the fall colours.
Spend some time there,I'm sure you'll have a pleasant & relaxing experience!!!!!
Thanks,Pippa & Rick

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sunny M, Owner at Stillwater on the Lake, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Hi Rick! It's always a treat for us when you come to make music at Stillwater. So glad you brought Pippa this time and were able to relax a little. Can't wait until your return in October! Peter and I always look forward to your visits!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peterborough
BEST WESTERN PLUS Otonabee Inn
#4 of 12 in Peterborough
Angel's Rest Bed & Breakfast
Angel's Rest Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 14 in Peterborough

Been to Stillwater on the Lake? Share your experiences!