“shalamar lake campground now named Vine Ridge RV Resort”
Review of Vine Ridge Resort

Vine Ridge Resort
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The campground was fantastic, it had a 1 acre pool that the children had a great time in, a playground just off to the side of the pool. A bathroom, changeroom right next to the pool, lifeguards from open to close 10-8. Next to it is a small canteen with very good prices. The campground also has a baseball field, soccer field, stage where on the saturday night and sunday night there was live music that was great. A small arcade, games room for the kids. The washroom was decent, Shower was 1 dollar for 5 minutes. The store held lots of items which I was surprised. There was a lot of trailer parts incase you needed them. My water hose busted and I was able to buy a new end for only 2.99. I was very surprised. The bags of camping wood was $8.00 and they gave you a firestarter that works great. There was canon shots from the wine breweries, but myself I could not even notice them. When I arrived there was a smell from the sewer there was 3 covers broken when I reported it, they repaired it withen 10 minutes. I could not have asked for better. The price of the camsite was 144 for 4 days. I was surprised at the low cost. I would definetely go back without a doubt. Only about 10 minutes from downtown niagra falls, but in a quiet area behind a wine orchard. Nothing negative at all. On the way out I lost my bolt to hold my hitch down, and they were even great to give me one at no cost and wished me a safe trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Roy_Martel

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Brought my two daughters for a simple / basic night of tenting in a park, and rec'd exactly what i expected..... good size tent sight, great pool, and met some really nice "seasonal" people, who helped us often. Since were not pro's at tenting, we forgot a few key items, and we were generously helped by Janet, near where we tented.

The "local" kids and grand kids of the regulars were great for my kids to run around and play.

I've always given my kids lots of freedom when we travel, and this place is great to let your kids roam and explore without being a Helicopter parent...... its compact, easily marked and a grid type system, so kids couldnt possibly get lost.

There's not much around the place for groceries / beer etc., so come prepared. Thats of course if you're staying put...... but if your out and around for a drive, things can be found readily in Niagara on the Lake

So for the money, I'd reccommend this campground..... and if you have young kids.... 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 etc., this is a good place in my opinion.

Some other reviewers mention the bird bangers. I found I didnt even notice them after a while...... hey, this sight is in the middle of fruit and wine country!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JoefromStCatharines
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was there the other week one and only time and hated it! first of all the bird banging sounds like guns going off in new york city! start at 6am!!! people too loud thru out the night, noone patrolling anything! and then when were just a little loud and a "seasonal" complained, we got in trouble!!! WTH!!! how fair is that!!! showers are $1.00 for 5 minutes! and they suck, bathrooms are disgusting by 8pm sometimes earlier would not recommend this place to anyone!! there is alot better campsite than this one! only good thing about this place is the pool!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Linda W
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I grew up going to shalamar one week of the summer every year as a family tradition, it had always been a great place. This year it is under new owners and though I was sad to hear that, they truly are great owners and take pride in their campground. I had not been to shalamar for many years now, but I was more than happy to be back.

Most of the lots are a very generous size, except for the tenting lots around the outer edges. They also have many central water locations for if you book a site that doesn't have water included which I have personally never seen before. The trees are scattered throughout the park, but most sites have at least one, but I would say the average is 3 per site. They are very mature trees so a lot of shade is provided.

The second day of our stay, the owner was going around and checking in on everyone making sure their stay was going well, he stayed to chat for quite sometime and is extremely friendly. That same day I had to go to the front office, and the attendant remembered my name, both first and last! All of the employees are extremely friendly, and after leaving (which we didn't get charged for late check out and were an hour late) we were given a flyer for an extra 15% off of our next stay.

The campground is extremely clean, everyone is respectful and nice (unless you happen to run into this one old lady seasonal, she enjoys screaming at people to slow down if their going 6km an hour instead of the posted 5km, but she's just an old grump apparently).

Would love to go back and start my family yearly tradition again!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Ejay06
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Upon reading reviews after booking the site I was a bit hesitant, but chose to go and decide for my self. I'm glad I did. We originally called for a quote and when we called back to book they said there had to be someone over 25 staying with us in order to book a site. (We are four college students) However, upon explaining that they didn't previously inform us of that they decided to make an exception.

When we got to our site it was very small with little shade as it was along the back, we asked front desk and they let us pick a larger site of our liking without any problems.

We only had a couple sites nearby with people at them, they were all very nice and waved as they walked by and weren't afraid to stop and talk.

Being younger we did stay up later (usually until 3am) but ensured we kept the noise down. Noone complained about the noise or late fire whatsoever.

When the new park manager came by to say hi I quickly learned that he is a very genuine nice guy. He talked to us for about ten minute before finishing his rounds.

The bathrooms were extremely clean and I mean extremely. They are cleaned atleast once a day and the friendly women who takes care of cleaning is extremely good at doing her job (no scattered toilet paper/wet sinks or dirty floors at all throughout all my visits to it)

Overall, it was a great weekend. Very friendly people, good atmosphere and very well laid out (Lots of shade on nearly every tenting site)
Will visit again!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank almason2
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I am a single mother who has been camping with my 3 daughters for 12 yrs now at least twice a year for a week at a time...we have always had a great time..we camp in tents and the lots are huge unless you get along the sides or in the back...we have never had. Now that my daughters are older there really isnt much for them to do..maybe they should put some things in for the teenagers to do. Most of the staff and seasonals are friendly and helpful..we will continue camping there unless they raise the prices

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen6969
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We recently took a RV trip to Niagara Falls with another couple. Along the way we stayed 2 nights at Shalamar on the Lake Campground. Granted we are novices, with a rented RV, but it wasn't bad at all.

We didn't spend a lot of time at the campground. What's around Shalamar is what you should see. Niagara-on-the-Lake is a very special place. It's beautiful. We did the wine tours, walked the town. Niagara Falls is unbelievable. The restaurants are wonderful. Shops are great. The casinos are fun. Lots to do for all ages.

The staff at Shalamar was friendly, the hookups were easy (15 amp with sewer and water), it's right between Niagara-on-the-Lake and Niagara Falls. The campsite does have big shade trees. It was easy to get to. Campsite has staff at the entrance gate 24 hours.

It was the only RV campground near both Niagara-on-the-Lake and Niagara Falls. Location, location, location. As another reviewer said, it's not very private. If your looking for true "camping" or camping with a wilderness feel, this isn't it. If your tent camping, don't expect this to be a pristine wilderness experience -- it's a RV campground for goodness sake. But again, we weren't here for the campground, but the sites nearby.

Yes, there are "seasonal campers", maybe locals, but that wasn't a problem at all. Had to pay a pound for a shower, but oh well. Also, had to pay the deposit, but we got it back. Also, it is near wineries and yes they shoot "cannons" to scare away the birds (not booming cannons, but more like shots). But again, it wasn't a problem for us. Never woke us up. Hey, it's in wine country. When in Rome do as the Romans.

Lots of bad reviews for the Shalamar, but we thought it was fine.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank VilleLou

Been to Vine Ridge Resort? Share your experiences!