“Enthusiastic Guide” 5 of 5 bubbles

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Enthusiastic Guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our guide, Trevor, gave us an enthusiastic personal tour of the history of printing, from 16th century wooden presses right up to the linotype machines that powered the daily newspapers of the 20th century.

I was skeptical at first (a printing museum?), but it was interesting, and the guide's ability to weave the story of the rebel newspapermen, William Lyon MacKenzie (who built the building), and his grandson the Prime Minister into the history of printing was very entertaining.

Bagdad, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Mackenzie Printery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Interesting and informative. Really neat to be able to see old printing presses and even use 2 of them. Part of the Heritage Trail Pass.

Kitchener, Canada
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Part Two Of Our Heritage Trail Pass!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

On 19th of July 2014, we continued our heritage trail by visiting the MacKenzie Printery. The information we received about the old style printers was very good. I found myself a little bored, not as interesting as the other three heritage sights. The demonstrations were very good though! I've been, it was informative, but I won't return.
Don't miss visiting this historic sight, it just wasn't for me!

1 Thank citypins
Buffalo NY
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Much more than I expected!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My boyfriend and I won a packet of vouchers for activities in the Buffalo and Niagara region a few months ago, and we decided to take the drive up from our home in Buffalo to Niagara on the Lake to take advantage of the vouchers we won from the Niagara Parks.

Our first stop was the MacKenzie Printery. I wasn't expecting much, but it was free, so why not? There was no one else there when we came in, so we had a private tour! I can't remember our tour guides name, but he was a young man with brown hair and he was great, very informative. He started telling us a little bit of history about William Lyon Mackenzie, the reason for the museum, and the past owner of the home. We learned about old fashioned printing and methods used throughout the years, He took us over to a printing press from the 1800's and show us how to use the letters to make our names. He put them into a document they had arranged and we got to "print" our own poster with our names on it.
He then took us to the back room and showed us many different printing presses throughout the years. We got to make a bookmark on one of the working ones.

Overall it was a great tour. It lasted about 45 minutes, and I learned a lot about printing. It really makes you appreciate modern computers and printers! I definitely recommend this if you're in the area.

3 Thank Sara P
“Informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Excellent information on the history of Mackenzie and of printing with demonstrations and hands on experience. Very worth while to visit.

Visited June 2014