“Pleasant and Informative, but not amazing”

Laura Secord Homestead
Ranked #4 of 9 things to do in Queenston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My boyfriend and i recently won a packet of vouchers for activities in the Buffalo Niagara Region, so we decided to drive up from our home in Buffalo to use the Niagara Parks Passes we won.

Our second stop along the way was the Laura Secord Homestead. Before this tour I had no idea who Laura was or why she was significant. The tour was informative, and I did learn a lot about her. We were the only one's on the tour, so for the second time that day we had it all to ourselves.

Our tour guide was nice enough and he knew his stuff, but he was a little awkward and there were a lot of awkward silences in between our questions and his talking. I felt pressured to ask a lot of questions, so I was trying to think of anything I could ask to fill the silence. It was a short tour and I'm not sure I would have been happy paying for it if we didn't have the vouchers.

The garden was nice, and the little outbuilding with some interactive information was cool. We didn't buy anything in the shop, but the bathrooms were very clean.

I enjoyed learning about Laura and her walk, but I wish there had been more people in our tour, maybe it would have been a better experience.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is a very interesting piece of history, well presented, with a very good gift and souvenir shop. And for 2$ you can get the biggest ice cream cone imaginable!

1  Thank Anthony K
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We arrived just in time to catch a tour and had the guide to ourselves. The guide was well informed and open to any questions we had. A good learning experience for us.

1  Thank Chris L
Reviewed 30 June 2014

It was a hot and humid Sunday, so we were truly impressed that our young guide gave such an engaging tour of the homestead all the while dressed in heavy period attire. Not only did we learn much more about Laura Secord than either of us remembered from Canadian history class, but we also gained new insight into the rigours of everyday life in the late 18th century, particularly the appalling mortality statistics for children and women.

Do not worry that you will be subjected to a stale history lesson—the restored homestead with its authentic period props makes the stories come to life. Even people with only a passing interest in history should find a visit well worth the entrance fee, currently $9.50 ($6.25 for children aged 6–12 years and free for younger kids) pre-tax. It does not take a long time either; half an hour plus or minus would give you a good overview.

If you go, make sure to ask your guide to use the artifacts on display to illustrate the origins of the phrases "sleep tight" and "pop goes the weasel", which I'm sure will surprise you!

2  Thank WMarkR
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I am a visitor from Australia and we (my wife & l) wanted to explore 'lots of Niagara history' so we purchased the Niagara Heritage Trail Pass. The pass includes admission to four sites (Old Fort Erie, Laura Secord Homestead, McFarland House and Mackenzie Printery). What is amazing is how different and individual all 4 sites are.

Our guide brought Laura Secord's life and the homestead to life. It was great to walk through history with the added benefit of a helpful guide to 'add to the experience' explaining how so many of the exhibits were used in their 'day to day' usage.

We loved it. Whether it was Canada's heritage or just 'the engaging way history was brought to life', this historic homestead did it really well. We were impressed.

Well done Laura Secord Homestead. We really enjoyed our visit.

1  Thank SAPWanderer