“Lovely getaway in historic Niagara”
Review of South Landing Inn

South Landing Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Queenston
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Charming, friendly, helpful folks run this gracious heritage hotel at the foot of Queenston Heights. We came to watch the 200th anniversary re-enactment of one of the key battles of the War of 1812 and staying in this location meant we could manage the crowds and walk everywhere. Our room in the original building was cosy and well appointed with a gorgeous view of the Niagara River. A delicious modestly priced breakfast was offered every morning in a dining room that felt like home. We loved staying here and will definitely come back. The kind of place you want to bring your elderly parents for a treat.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the original building with a view of the river
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BerHar

Reviewed 9 September 2012

When our U.S. cellphone lost its signal when we crossed over the border, we started wondering if we could find an affordable place to stay. We drove closer to the Lewiston crossing and we were able to locate South Landing Inn. Our room in the Annex is really large and comfortable along with being impeccably clean. The front desk showed us several rooms and explained the options. It is a great find and is only about 10 minutes from the Shaw Festival and downtown Niagara on the Lake for less than half the price of many close in hotels.

Room Tip: The rooms with the balconies are definitely the most desirable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheBiz2
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I can't understand the hostility of some the comments on this site. The place is a delight, enjoying an idyllic setting in the historic town of Queenston, and within easy walking distance of landmark sites related to the War of 1812, among them the Laura Secord Homestead and the towering Brock Monument.
I stay in the annex across the street from the historic inn itself, and the accommodation is wonderful — nicely furnished rooms, very comfortable beds, adequate lighting, wireless internet access, an excellent choice of television channels, and an efficient heating and air conditioning the system. The bathrooms too are excellently equipped, and the housekeeping is friendly ans conscientious.
The hotel, operated by an elderly German couple who have been there for three decades, has its eccentricities. No land-line telephones in the rooms, no immediate on-line booking, a quaint room in the main building which functions as combination reception area, kitchen and breakfast room. But to me, all this is again part of its charming distinctiveness. Room prices are moderate by the standards of the Niagara area, and breakfast at $5 is a real bargain: a choice of scrambled eggs or French Toast, plus juice and as many cups of good coffee as you want.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank travelling1935
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband surprised me with a weekend getaway to Niagara-On-The-Lake for my birthday/our anniversary.

My husband was under the impression that South Landing Inn was located on Niagara-on-the-Lake and punched in Front Street and off we go! When we arrived we were taken back by the beautiful views and lovely downtown area. However, we could not find the place. After walking around like idiots we finally stopped at a nearby Bed & Breakfast and quickly found out we were in the wrong area. Folks, be sure you plug in Queenston as the city! Apparently it happens a lot. Needless to say my husband was disappointed in this little error.

Alas we arrive at the South Landing Inn! It is a very quiet area, nothing like the hustle bustle of Niagara-on-the-Lake. We arrived a little later than we had planned, yet the owners of the Inn were there expecting our call and were very friendly and patient!

We stayed in the orginal building which is an old beautiful home. Yes, it smells a little musky when you walk in but to me it added to the nostalgia of the place. I loved all the old furniture and decorations, it all added to the experience.

We were on the 2nd floor and our room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I am not sure if my husband booked a river view room (we stayed in room 2) but I will say there really was no river view, the trees were in full bloom which blocked most of the view. I bet fall/spring would be very pretty though. It is very quiet and peaceful in the evening - great for sleeping!

We trailered our bike and the owners were very accomodating to our need of extra space in the parking lot. No one fussed with our trailer or bike.

There is easy access to York Street and Niagara Parkway from the Inn...we were able to find our way around town in a couple of hours. Unfortunatly we didn't put as many miles on the bike as we had wished; everything is so darn close!

Breakfast was very reasonable and delicious!

We had a great experience and we would book this place again.

2  Thank eandjeastwood
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Quiet place away from the noise of Clifton Hill, but close enough to get there fast! The owners are very nice, breakfast is affordable and delicious. The interior of the room was old style but in very good condition and very clean. Would book there again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed for a War of 1812 event. Lovely room with a balcony. 10% discount at a beautiful local restaurant. I booked another stay for an event in October.

1  Thank MichiganPilot
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed several weekdays in the South Landing Inn. The couple has been managing the inn for thirty years though the a new large building was added in 1987. We stayed in the front upstairs balcony room in the new building and when I found out that the building was 25 years old I was very surprised because I thought it was absolutely brand new. The room was really delightful with a queen poster bed. The mattress itself, which is always the most important aspect of a room to me, was very comfortable and I weigh about 245 pounds. I found the room to be a good size with a nice dresser with room enough for our clothes along with a closet for hanging things. The bathroom was clean and had shelves with enough room for our toiletries. Overall I very much liked the decorating, feminine but with masculine aspects in the wood of the poster bed and natural wood ceiling. The room has a gas burning fireplace in the wall but since it was summer we only used the air conditioning. There is a ceiling fan over the canopy bed which was nice for circulating the air especially while sleeping. The balcony has views of the river and seating for four and a coffee table. Honestly I would have really enjoyed spending more time out there but we usually wound up going to dinner late after busy days.

Breakfast is served between 7:30 AM and 11 AM. It is made when you order it and it is not the crumby breakfasts that you get in most motels. It is simple but fresh and tasty. It is home cooking. The breakfast consists of either French toast or scrambled eggs with toast. For $5 you also get juice and coffee. Each table has a tray with the a little pitcher of milk, sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and peach and cherry- raspberry jams that are homemade by the owners, Both are absolutely delicious.

I would view our stay as a combination between a bed and breakfast and a motel. The inn keepers are of German descent and probably in their 70's. They were very responsive to our needs. One morning there was a problem with the internet connection and the own had someone there to fix it within a couple of hours. They were also very considerate about our late check out. Overall they are charming, delightful people and I'd enjoy having them as friends though I am 25 years younger.

If you are expecting corporate efficiency, a rule for everything and precise computer driven reservations then this is not the place for you. This is an inn that is what you may have expected 30 or 40 years ago, a true mom and pop operation. But the friendly, open ways of the owners rub off on the guests and we found ourselves talking to the other guests and even the staff, something that would never happen in a typical chain motel.

We also felt that the accommodations were an outstanding value in the area and at the peak of the tourist season and the Shaw Festival. The one negative that has been mentioned in other reviews was a slight mustiness in the room. We left the air running in the room after we first got in and neither my fiance or I was troubled by it and I have a very sensitive nose. The pluses far outweigh this one issue in my opinion.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are worth the extra $30 especially with the view of the river on the second floor.
1  Thank Ted K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queenston
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#8 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
124 on Queen Hotel and Spa
124 on Queen Hotel and Spa
#2 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and Conference Centre
The Pillar and Post Inn, Spa and...
#6 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Best Western Colonel Butler Inn
Best Western Colonel Butler Inn
#9 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Been to South Landing Inn? Share your experiences!