“Very pleasant stay”

Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I was told that this was the best hotel in Sarnia so the bride blocked off rooms for family and friends to stay there. The rooms were very clean - stayed in the newer wing - and quite spacious. Food was good in their restaurants and it is a great deal if you have kids as they eat free if they are under 12 years of age. We even got a casino welcome package. The "casino" or rather OLG space was 10 minutes away from the hotel - you get $15 to play the slots.

The hotel is very near to the US border crossing and you can actually check out the line from the hotel.

There were many families enjoying the large outdoor salt water pool. Beds were comfortable. The king room comes with a pull out sofa bed.

The GPS had trouble finding the property. Even though it is in Sarnia, the area is called Point Edward.

I would stay there again if I had to go back to Sarnia.

Room Tip: Ice machine is at end of corridor so you might not want to take one around there.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ChineseJamaican
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

Your positive experience and great value you found in all areas of our hotel is exactly what we try to provide to all of our guests. I was really happy that we were successful and that you enjoyed your stay with us. As well, I appreciate the notation regarding GPS users as we are located in Point Edward (a beautiful village adjacent to Sarnia) and unfortunately will not be found in a GPS "Sarnia search". Thanks for all the great comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2011

Holiday Inn in Sarnia continues to be one of the better properties that I stay at in my extensive travels. The newer Tower rooms are a must. New, clean, spacious and comfortable. Staff always friendly. Rates are very reasonable.Restaurant is decent - a little pricey. Check out the adjacent Holiday Inn Par 3 Nine hole course behind the hotel - almost free! Also, down the road from Casino.
This is the only place you should stay at in Sarnia.

Room Tip: King room in the Tower
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

As a “seasoned” traveler, it was FANTASTIC to read the comments of your experiences at our hotel. All of the employees really do strive to make each of our guest’s experiences as positive and enjoyable as yours. Thank you for the review. I am pleased you continue to enjoy your stays with us and I hope you have a great summer. Safe travels!

Reviewed 25 May 2011

This hotel is beautiful and with the golf course on site surrounded by many trees you feel like you are at a beautiful resort in cottage country; the outdoor pool is huge, the indoor pool is very nice, the hotel rooms are big and all have new lcd tvs; lots of storage space and a staff second to none.
You have a beautiful view of Lake Huron with the USA on the either side of the bluewater bridge; great for duty free shopping and well within walking distance; parking free, casino nearby, you cant lose on this place.

Room Tip: say you want to face the lake, to see sailboats
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank calicosrnice
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

Yes it's true! Our location is nestled in a beautiful park setting near the foot of the Bluewater Bridges, and minutes away from everything you need in Sarnia/Point Edward. As well with our 9 hole executive par 3 golf course, guests can golf for half price! We hope to see you again soon, and for those that read this review and haven't been... Please come and experience us yourself.

Reviewed 14 May 2011

We stayed on the top floor of the "tower" which is the newer part of the building. The room was great and the bed was amazingly comfy. The bathrooms were extremely clean. I would not have changed anything about it, and there was no noise from outside or from the hallways for the entire night.

The only negative was that we booked the King bed room with a jacuzzi bathtub but because we were late for our check in time, we did not receive this room.

There is a pool, which is slightly older, that we did not make use of.

The cleaners did not bother us when we were in the room, and all of the staff were very polite. I would definitely visit again.

Finding a mini fridge under our desk was a nice surprise too!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank robyyynne
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2011

Wonderful to read the title of your review, as I can tell that your "great, quiet, and romantic" stay was an enjoyable one! Offering a comfortable and clean room, as well as having friendly and helpful employees to assist you during your stay are just some of the many reasons that so many choose us as their preferred hotel when visiting Sarnia/Point Edward. I am curious to understand the room type change that you mention that happened at check in. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss. 519-336-4130. Thank you!

Reviewed 5 January 2011

The first time we stayed at this Holiday Inn, a friend booked the room for us. NO ISSUES
My husband and I decided to have our friend book us a King room in the Tower for two nights during the New Year's Weekend. Everything was going well, until I checked my bank account and there was one extra charge on our bill. We asked Holiday Inn what was going on? In attempt to correct the mistake,they upgraded us to a Jacuzzi Suite in the tower for our second night. The next day , I checked my bank account and it was charged again . Minus security deposit, unauthorized usage equaled past 200.00. Because of the irresponsibility on the hotel auditor's part, we were barely left with spare money. TOTAL VACATION KILLER.
My advice is to keep track of your bill , because their auditor ANN continuously charged my bank card without batting an eye. The rest of the staff remained clueless of how to correct this disastrous mistake.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

I was certainly pleased to read that your previous stay with us was issue free and I am sorry that your New Years Eve stay was not the same. I do appreciate you taking the time to give our hotel specific feedback as it is very important to us as it continously helps improve our service delivery. However, in your review, I need to correct that your accusation of “Ann” charging your bank/credit card is entirely false as she was not involved in your reservation. Your reservation was booked through a third party internet website which means that you pay them for the room and tax and provide us a credit card for incidental charges upon check-in. Our computer system, not Ann, automatically authorized your credit card for room and tax as we made an error and did not set it up correctly. This is why less then $200.00 was erroneously authorized for your two nights stay. Our Guest Services Representative was very apologetic and wanted to do something for you for this rare mishap and that is why she provided you a complimentary upgrade to the Whirlpool Suite that has a value of $250.00 per night. Please know that our hotel has been in business for over 40 years and is very sensitive and financially responsible to all of our guests needs.

Reviewed 1 January 2011

This Holiday Inn has made the nasty list. There was so much hair behind the bathroom door it didn't look like they washed it. There were also fingernails and hair in the bathtub. Carpet looked like it was not vacuumed well. The pool was gross. Paint chipping all over the ceiling. The tiles in the pool looked like they were being held together by caulking. The doors were not locked at night so the security was poor. Difficult to bring luggage in the tower as there was no ramp for the carts to bring down off the sidewalk to your vehicle. Even though we were in the tower which was newer this hotel it is in serious need of repairs and updating. Cable TV quality was fuzzy and the remote only worked in you stood in front of the TV. High speed internet was extremely slow and difficult to stay connected to. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Tjdenn
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2011

I thank you for your feedback and I am truly sorry and to be truthful, a little surprised by the multitude of issues that you and your family experienced at my hotel. As we pride ourselves on our overall service, cleanliness and genuine friendliness with all of our guests, I want to personally apologize for your stay with us.

As we take all of these issues very seriously, I would like to make you and the readers aware of our ongoing committment to improve in these areas.
Although we do have wheelchair accessible ramps in all areas of our parking lots (by law), in the spring, we will be adding another ramp directly in front of the Tower for both increased visibility and easier access for all of our guests.
As safety and security is our highest priority, we are implementing several new measures in this area in the first quarter of this year to even further enhance the safety of our guests and employees.
As our pools are a very popular amentity to both our guests and our Fitness Members, we have a group of dedicated employees cleaning and maintaining these areas on a daily basis. We will take advantage of the opportunity to address the small areas of chipped paint on the ceiling when we drain the pool in the spring.
With respect to the TV remotes, we have now decreased the period of time between scheduled battery replacement to 12 months.

I apologize for the lenthy response but would sincerely appreciate an opportunity to discuss and rectify your overall impression and experience with us. You can contact me at 519 336 4130.

Reviewed 17 December 2010

Stayed here a few times past 4 months. Last stay was good, time before not so much.
Tower rooms are newer and roomier. Service is spotty.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business

I really do appreciate your returning to our hotel over the last few months and was happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. In the future, if you have any concerns with anything relating to your guest experience, please do not hesitate to contact the Manager on Duty or myself directly as we would be pleased to assist in any way. Thank you once again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarnia
Hampton Inn by Hilton Sarnia/Point Edward
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 16 in Sarnia
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Port Huron

Been to Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center? Share your experiences!