“a convenient hotel in Point Edward”

Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“a convenient hotel in Point Edward”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We found that this hotel in Point Edward was clean, quiet, and in a convenient location for a family event. Our room was in the tower. We appreciated the variety of pillows, and the efficiency of the air conditioning unit. The pool was adequate. However, no towels were available at the time we were there. The staff was pleasant and efficient. For breakfast, we ate at the casino (adults only). They have a beautiful deck overlooking the St. Clair River and as we ate, we watched the boats go by. Unforgettable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a chance to enjoy the hotel as well as some of the many exciting things to do in Sarnia and the surrounding area. We work closely with many of our partners including the Point Edward Casino to ensure that all of our visitors enjoy their experiences while in Lambton county. I appreciate you sharing this with everyone and hope to see you again soon.

Geoff Eisenbraun, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I've stayed here 3 times now and I would say it is a reasonable value. First the good: clean rooms and facilities, nice swimming pool & weight room, convenient location. Staff is efficient if not overly friendly. On the negative side, rooms are a little tired (so far I've stayed in the older, 'executive' wing) and probably worth the 'upgrade' to the newer rooms. Rooms are a little noisy (recommend upper floor). Bedding also is a little on the budget end - and so far I've pretty much had to 're-make' the bed every night because they tuck so much in at thee bottom there is nothing left at the top. Strange - but this seems to be a consistent thing! The restaurants ambitions far exceed its execution and is over-priced for the quality of its offerings. (if it gets a little busy they can really fall behind). Same with the breakfast buffet - for me the menu was a better choice. If there were other choices in Sarnia I would look into them - however this is really about it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear K_and_M_from_SF,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the facilities and the location of the hotel. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Rest assured that the issues you have raised has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed the evening of August 9th. The fellow who checked us in was pleasant and helpful. Our room was on the second floor just down from the indoor pool and faced the outdoor pool. Very nice view. It was clean. My only complaint about the room was that the solid drapes could not be completely closed, thereby reducing our privacy. The sheers just were not enough. We had both supper and breakfast in the on-site restaurant. Both times the service was slow (to be fair we were eating supper very late so it would have been off-peak but breakfast on the Saturday morning at 9ish was also extremely slow). Once our meals were served however, the food was good - no complaints. All in all, we would give this hotel another chance as we know how the unexpected can happen when it comes to staffing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for the recommendation and the honest feedback. We are pleased to see you enjoyed the quality of the food and we will endeauvour to improve on the speed of service in the restaurant, As well, we are glad to read that both the room cleanliness, room location and the view were all to your liking. We would like to note that all of our guestrooms have blackout drapes behind the sheers to ensure both your privacy and comfort. We hope to welcome you back soon!!

Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Business Brought me to Sarnia, and the holiday inn did not disappoint. The front desk was quick to greet me and very friendly and explained to me all of the amenities, where they were and their hours of operation. The room it self was a wonderful surprise and is very nice. Multiple pillows, in different hardness/softness, new tv and desk. The wifi was fantastic and only had some issues roaming the hallways, but in the room and in the restaurant I was always able to connect and use the wifi, which was included FREE. It's nice to see a hotel that doesn't charge extra for this essential service.

The restaurant/bar is also nice. When traveling for business I don't like to have to go far for a meal, and this one was very nice. The server greeted me promptly, and the menu had a good selection of entrees, and for a good value.

The Amenities are good, featuring an indoor and outdoor pool, hot tub and sauna. Would I stay again? Absolutely.

Room Tip: I booked on priceline.com, and was able to get a room for $90.00 vs the published rates on expida fo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephan29
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
As a business traveller, we understand that it's difficult to be on the road and away from home a lot of the time. We also realize that finding a hotel that you are comfortable with and that meets your needs is extremely important. It's very gratifying to see that we are a hotel that you trust and that you feel at home with while you are away on business. Thanks for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back!!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

There was a bit of a family reunion in the Sarnia area so 8 of us stayed at the Holiday Inn. As far as the rooms went, they were decently priced and clean, relatively spacious but nothing out of the ordinary. The pool area was very nice, as was the adjoining restaurant area. The only complaint we had was that both times we ate in the restaurant they were understaffed and service, although competent on the part of the waitresses, was slow. One more person on each shift would have helped a lot. All of the staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful, especially Jody at the front desk. The Holiday Inn should be especially proud of her.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool have sliding glass doors and patio areas as well as a nice view.
1 Thank Elena M.
Thank you so much for providing some very important feedback on your experiences during your stay with us. I have personally shared your comments regarding staffing levels with our Food and Beverage Manager to ensure that we can improve our service delivery for the future. We also appreciate the acknowledgement of our team member Jody who will be recognized for her "friendly and helpful" service. We are happy that we could be a part of the family get together and hope to have you and your family return in the near future.

Shutesbury, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

This was a great hotel to stay at if you are just crossing the border or just about to (depending on your travel direction). However they have the worse staff (except for the night time front desk staff (Dan)). When I checked in, Dan was incredible. He made sure I knew what was the closest side door to my room from my car so I wouldn't have to walk to far, verified my info quickly ( it was 1am) and made me feel welcome. The next day was completely different.

We went to breakfast at 9:15am and many tables were empty but not cleared. It took the host 5 mins to even say "be right with you" and she walked past us twice. When we were seated she asked if we would like coffee or other, "yes coffee and water for me, a chocolate milk for my daughter please". She returns with the smallest coffee I have ever seen and takes the pot (no water was brought). She then goes on to seat three other tables. It’s now 10 mins before the one of the other tables is waited on, then 2 more mins when the other is helped. I ask the host about our wait staff to which "I’ll get her" is replied. 3 mins goes by and someone comes over to say "you’re not in my section but what can I get for you?" No question on whether I would like more coffee. The front desk lady walks by and smiles to which I ask her for a wait staff or more coffee "that's normally not my job I don't know where it is but will walk to the front and get you a refill". What? She returns 3 mins later with a cold cup of coffee. The order was correct but it took an hour and 30 mins to eat. Really? When I get the bill I asked for change...That took them 10 mins to accomplish ( watched three different people handle my bills before it ended up in a wait staff hands that I had not seen once before)! I worked waiting tables and know how slammed you can get, crappy food can be saved by good wait staff, crap location or waiting can be saved by good wait staff, crappy wait staff ruined my stay. If you can't staff the restaurant for a busy Saturday morning, don't offer the service.

To make this the worse Holiday Inn I have ever stayed at was the front desk. It took 10 mins (no line at the desk checking out either) for them to process 6 postcards with cash for my daughter. Not a single "thank you for staying with us" either. I will drive right past this hotel if you care about your time or the money you pay for the room.

2 Thank LTGreg
We were very disappointed to read that our service has let you down and that we missed multiple opportunities to provide you with the warm, friendly and efficient service that we traditionally provide to our guests. We are genuinely sorry that you had such a poor experience and I would love the chance to make this right. Please contact me directly at your convenience. We do appreciate the honesty and detail of your review and hope that you would give us another try in the future.

New Hamburg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Lovely, older hotel with amazing beds! The room was in nice condition and the staff were absolutely amazing! Quite possibly the best thing going for this hotel is the staff are so helpful, friendly and accommodating! Well... the pillows are amazing as well!! Nice clean facilities. I would recommend to anyone! We stayed in the older part of the hotel with our room on the second floor... My only complaint? The bathroom was too small, with a stained tub and the tv was too difficult to work. (But I am technically challenged and didn't bother to call the front desk for help)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hi Suzanne! Thanks for such a glowing recommendation! Loved hearing that you connected with so many friendly employees. We are very proud of the genuine service our team members provide each and every day. Nice to hear that you appreciate some of the small details, like our pillows. To further enhance our guest's comfort, we are launching a new pillow menu shortly. This menu includes specialty pillow options such as Low Profile Pillow (4” height), Foam Pillow, Neck Support Pillow, Snore-Free Pillow, Firm Down (Feather) Pillow, Medium Down (Feather) Pillow. We hope you and all of our guests enjoy this new amenity.