“Holiday Inn, Sarnia”

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Toronto, Canada
“Holiday Inn, Sarnia”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The usual Holiday Inn standards exist at this location. The tower location is newer and I would recommend staying there. There is one floor in the tower that has secure access (card reader in the elevator). The restaurant offers above average food although a bit expensive. The cost was a higher than normal but I suspect it was because the hotel was fully booked. The location is just outside of downtown Sarnia but there are some good restaurants in the area and the Casino is just down the street.

Room Tip: The tower rooms are newer!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Trace l,
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and traveller tips for everyone to review. As you mention, we do have a great location and we are very proud of our exceptional food in the restaurant and lounge. I appreciate you staying with us and we all hope to see you back soon.

Geoff Eisenbraun, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was our first stay at this Holiday Inn in Sarnia and we found it very convenient to accessing the Blue Water Bridge. The hotel is well managed and has very friendly staff. Our room was well lit and properly equipped however the tissue dispenser had rust on it and the bottom of the bathroom door showed signs of water damage. The WiFi was exceptionally good which is unusual these days. We will certainly use this hotel on our return home.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
DWGB - Fantastic to see that you had such a great stay with us on your very first visit that you will be rejoining us on your return trip home. It doesn't get any better than that!! I appreciate you taking the time to share and we look forward to seeing you again on your way back home!! Safe travels.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Older HI but great location next to the Expressway. Some traffic noise on that side.

Rooms - I always book the newer Tower rooms as the rest of the hotel rooms are older and not as comfortable. Clean rooms, well stocked. Best room rates are sometimes too high for the area. Between contractor and casino traffic this location can sell out often so book ahead.

Parking - Lots of free parking and I've never had any security issues.

Restaurant - Actually a surprisingly great restaurant for an HI with gourmet quality on some menu items.

IHG Rewards - As a Platinum member recognition has been good with appropriate upgrades/benefits.

Room Tip: Due to Expressway noise don't book on that side. Don't book near ice machines/vending machin...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
As a Platinum IHG Rewards member, I am very pleased to see that you have had the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of both the Brand program and the local (hotel) program. I appreciate you sharing some good tips to future travellers regarding our great location, wonderful food and clean guest rooms. Thanks for taking the time to share and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I give this hotel 5 stars first of all because of the service. Right from check-in, I felt as though the people there cared that I had an enjoyable stay. Check-in was quick and courteous. There was a dog barking in the room across the hall (dogs are not allowed in the hotel), I told the staff and they got on it immediately with no further issues. I forgot my toothpaste and called down to them, and someone brought me toothpaste within 5 minutes.

Second, I give this hotel 5 stars because of the food. I was there for a conference, and the staff seated us in a private room, then proceeded to serve us a fantastic dinner. The steak I had was cooked perfectly and good quality, with a very nice peppercorn sauce. The veg and potatoes were also very good. Dessert was great as well. Again, all with very attentive service.

Third, I give this hotel 5 stars because of the value. Very reasonable rates, and the restaurant had reasonable prices (and good food) as well.

My expectations of a hotel are high. This hotel exceeded my expectations. I am impressed.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces out onto the golf course. Wonderful parklike view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
With 5 Stars given for the Service, Food and Value, I wanted to thank you for your detailed feedback on your stay with us in those three critical areas. As an avid traveller with high expectations, I was really pleased to see that we not only met but exceeded your expectations. This is exactly what all of the employees strive for with each guest and I will be sure to share your comments with all of them. I appreciate you making us your hotel of choice and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

This is my second visit to this Holiday Inn. I am not sure why but keep ending up on the older side and I am not sure why. The rooms are very dated, tv channel selection is very limited. Also this side does not have an elevator you will need to haul your luggage upstairs or wait for a bellman. I did take advantage of a coupon for the restaurant and had the pickerel, it was tasty but way too much butter/oil on everything including the veggies.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for staying with us again and for your honest feedback on your experiences at the hotel. I am sorry that you feel that some of the guest rooms are dated and for the other disappointments you mention in your review. We have renovated these rooms in the last three years including the addition of flat screens TV's. In addition, we have just upgraded the entire hotel to High Definition through our cable service provider Cogeco who are currently providing the hotel with over 50 different channels for our guests.
As it doesn't sound like you had a great stay with us, I would ask that you contact me at your convenience at geisenbraun@fortisproperties.com or 519 336 8840 so that we can discuss and resolve together. Thanks again for your insight andI hope to hear from you soon.

Hawthorn Woods, Illinois
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We really enjoyed our stay with this Holiday Inn location. Very convenient to visit casino and to get right to the U.S. Great pool area. Really nice Sunday buffet. Try to stay in the main (tall) building area. We had business type room with a little office area and really enjoyed it. Great experience with the front desk associate Matthew who was able to resolve all our requests in a couple of seconds. It seems like this associate had all tools at his fingerprint to be able to meet all our needs.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
It is always wonderful to read about guests that love their experience with both the hotel product (the pool, our Sunday Brunch and the guest room) as well as service (Matt) that they receive during their stay with us. I am truly glad that you had such a "Great Experience" while in Canada and we all hope to be of service to you again in the near future. Safe travels where ever life takes you!

Oshawa Ontario
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We chose this hotel as it is very close to the Boarder Crossing. Just look out the window and you can check out the status of the cars crossing to Michigan. We didn’t use any of the facilities but they do have an indoor & outdoor pool. We look in at the GYM area and it was a good size with many pieces of equipment. They even have a golf course on the property.
Early in the day we had drinks at the Freighters Lounge and had a lovely dinner at the Bridges Restaurant. We could see outside the picture windows many people enjoying a game of golf and the many boats cruising by. After dinner we sat out on the patio to have a nightcap.
It was a really nice hotel. Found staff very friendly from the front desk to those who served us in the dining room and at breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
What an AWESOME review and many thanks for taking the time to share it with everyone. I have already shared your experience with all of the employees of the hotel as well. We are very pleased that you had such a great time with us and truly enjoyed what we have to offer to all of our guests. Thanks again and we look forward to serving you again in the future.