“Needs some serious work.”

Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Burlington, Canada
“Needs some serious work.”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in September. Arrived around 4pm, check in was smooth and the staff were very friendly. Went to get our bags from the car and entered through one of the side doors and saw probably one of the nastiest hallways ever, very dirty and full of cobwebs. Our first night we were in the older part of the hotel and the room looked clean enough aside from the seriously old dingy carpets. Unfortunately the room had some sort of a chemical smell to it.. very sulfur-like. Next morning after sneezing all night from what I can only assume was my dust allergies acting up, I called reception and asked to be moved to a newer room. No problem they moved me to a newer room on the other side of the building...my allergies were better but this room also had the harsh chemical smell. Didn't get a chance to check out the pool but heard it was ok. One thing to mention if your planning on having a social event at this hotel, food is mediocre at best. I would probably have it catered if possible.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here make sure you're in the new wing.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues that you brought to our attention in your review. As cleanliness is extremely important to us, I was very disappointed to see that our entrance ways were not close to our standards at all. I have since walked all of the entrances with the Director of Housekeeping to ensure this will not happen again. I would like to assure all of our guests that our cleaning products are completely safe and environmentally friendly and have a fresh light scent. I was pleased to see you had a great check in and that you enjoyed the genuine hospitality of our staff. It would be our pleasure to serve you again!

Geoff Eisenbraun, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Chatham-Kent, Ontario
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel for four nights for business purposes. The lobby is nice and check in was quick and easy. I must say I was disappointed and I am a gold elite priority club member. My room was in the older section of the hotel. Apparently the newer rooms are in the tower and I am not sure what you have to do to secure one there,but ask when booking. The first room I was assigned to had a foul odour and I could not stay there. I had a co-worker and a staff member come and check it out and they agreed. My next room was better but not by much. The room was very musty and damp smelling. I opened the patio door each day to try to air it out. Too bad there was not a screen door on it to keep the bugs out. The bathroom was very tiny and the door almost hit the toilet when you closed it. I am not sure where your legs are supposed to go?? There was a microwave sitting on the vanity counter top outside the bathroom, so it kind of defeated the purpose of providing an extra space to get ready in the morning since the bathroom was so small. My room was "cleaned" every day. When I arrived there was a long dark hair, coffee grounds, and a stir stick on the counter around the front and side of the microwave. It was still there when I left 4 days later. The pool area and gym were nice. The waterfront is close by as the hotel is located beside the Bluewater Bridge. It is a nice place to go for a walk in good weather conditions. Avoid the hotel restaurant as it is very overpriced and the food was only fair. Breakfast is not included, which I think is ridiculous. Everyone in our meeting room complained about the temperature as it was very cold. The hotel staff were unable to fix this problem the entire four days. The management of this hotel has lots of work to do to say the least. I recently stayed at a hotel in another city for much less money, a nicer, cleaner room, and hot breakfast included in the morning. No comparison!

Room Tip: insist on a room in the tower
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Milkdud
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Milkdud - Thank you for giving such an honest and detailed account of your stay with us. As an IHG Rewards Gold Club member, I appreciate you staying with us.I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience with us and that you had multiple issues over the 4 days with us. This is not representative of this hotel from a product or service standpoint

At your convenience, please contact me at geisenbraun@fortisproperties.com or you can call me at 519 336 8840. I would like to discuss each of these issues with you so that I can better understand them and make it right! I appreciate you giving me the chance to respond to your concerns and hope to hear from you soon.

Geoff Eisenbraun, CHA

Travellers are raving about these Sarnia hotels

Sarnia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I recently attended a kids sleepover birthday party at the Holiday Inn on Venetian Blvd. in Sarnia. Kids and parents had reserved 2 adjoining rooms for party. 8 kids in all attended with 4 staying over night. They had a great time in the swimming pool, exercise room and hot tub. The rooms were spacious with 2 bathrooms for changing. They did crafts in the room, played games and opened presents. In the restaurant the children's menu was more than adequate for these young ones. Some complimentary kids meals if adults ordered an entrée. Adult meals were delicious. After dinner we went back to the room for cake and were supplied ice cream by the waitress. Great place for a party. Kids were all happy and Mom had no mess at home to clean up.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
It sounds like a FANTASTIC party and that everyone really enjoyed themselves.....which is the whole idea when celebrating with family and friends!! As we just did a complete renovation (+$300,000) of the Indoor Pool, Change Rooms and Fitness Centre within the last year, I was pleased to see that you all enjoyed the new facilities. As we invented "Kids Eat Free", childrens birthday celebrations are a perfect time to take advantage of this program. Wonderful to hear that everyone thought it was a "great place for a party" and that all of the adults loved their meals.
Thanks for sharing!!

Guelph,On
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Don't you hate it when you must stand over the toilet to close the bathroom door??? I certainly do when using a public toilet but I never imagined that I would have to do the same while using a hotel bathroom!!! Clean, nice salt water pool. Our room actually overlooked the back grassed property - much nicer than a typical parking lot. Otherwise, the hotel is Holiday Inn average. Slamming outdoor doors could be heard throughout our visit.
Very close to the US border, the casino and the Sarnia Yacht Club.

Friendly helpful staff, nice breakfast (at additional cost).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Nese,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Check in was very sufficient and fast. Did not get the room in the tower, that was promised. Stayed at the 2 story side of the hotel and we could hear the party, that was going on in the hotel still late into the night. The room was ok, the bathroom really small. Bedding and mattress were good. We enjoyed the Bridges Bistro for Breakfast, it has a nice view towards the golf course. Lobby modern and big, but the rooms need updating.

Room Tip: Try to book a room in the new tower.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Mexx_10,

Thank you for your candid review. Your willingness to spare some of your time to review our hotel is genuinely appreciated. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Usually come down this way once a year and often stay here. Rooms are always clean as is the lobby and hallways. Front desk staff is always helpful as well. I do find it a bit pricey considering it is Sarnia not Toronto. But, yes, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The newer rooms are in the tower but more expensive.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Geoff E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
LPPM - It is "Our Pleasure" to serve you and your family each time you stay with us! Thank you for choosing us as your preferred hotel and for giving us the opportunity to do so. Clean rooms and genuinely friendly and helpful staff are at the very top of our priority list so I am very pleased to see that these two important areas stood out as part of your hotel experience. We all look forward to seeing you back on your yearly visit!!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The usual Holiday Inn standards exist at this location. The tower location is newer and I would recommend staying there. There is one floor in the tower that has secure access (card reader in the elevator). The restaurant offers above average food although a bit expensive. The cost was a higher than normal but I suspect it was because the hotel was fully booked. The location is just outside of downtown Sarnia but there are some good restaurants in the area and the Casino is just down the street.

Room Tip: The tower rooms are newer!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Trace l,
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and traveller tips for everyone to review. As you mention, we do have a great location and we are very proud of our exceptional food in the restaurant and lounge. I appreciate you staying with us and we all hope to see you back soon.

Geoff Eisenbraun, CHA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarnia
Hampton Inn by Hilton Sarnia/Point Edward
The Harbourfront Inn
The Harbourfront Inn
#7 of 16 in Sarnia
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Port Huron

Been to Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center? Share your experiences!