“Right on the water!”

The Harbourfront Inn and Suites
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Reviewed 5 August 2007

This inn had great value - it was 90 cad dollars including tax and parking - very clean room, coffee maker, tv cable etc, located right on the waterfront - great to watch boats and people fishing etc, look at port huron michigan right accross the water! A simple breakfast available in a common room by reception in the morning - can't beat the value , i really enjoyed this place

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Reviewed 6 June 2007

This wonderful, friendly place has become an annual tradition for me and my family since 1992. So I speak with some authority about this hotel and the staff.

We make our visit during the Canada Day holiday every year and I can't tell you how wonderful both the location and the staff are. They are not only friendly, courteous, and prompt in making our stay very enjoyable... the treat you like family.

The rooms are clean, well appointed, and most of all ready when you arrive. The hotel faces a park and has a very restful pier in the rear parking lot that facing the water. The hotel is quiet and room noise is non-existent. The Inn caters to families and people who prefer privacy and if you drive the parking is FREE and very accessible.

The staff has always exceeded our expectations and can direct you to almost anything you might need in Sarnia. Just one of many many examples of how much effort the staff puts into making your staf enjoyable I will relate here.

Three years ago, I took my mother to the Inn and because of her COPD she needed a wheel chair. One of the staff made it her personal responsibility to drive over 30 miles to obtain one for us and then took the wheel chair back.

I travel for business and could afford to stay at the nearby hotels at a discount . I have been offered free nights and special packages to switch. In every instance, we have declined these attractive offers simply because the level of personal service at the Inn is so outstanding.

The hotel views of the Canada Day fireworks show cannot be beat. The morning breakfast is self serve and adds a 'you are at home' to the Inn that we find irresistible.

My suggestion is stay one night... thats all it will take to convince you.

Witherspoon

Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank IkeIllinois
Reviewed 15 April 2007

I've stayed at the Harbourfront Inn numerous times over the past 5 years and always keep coming back. It almost seems like a home away from home at this point. I would evaluate it as follows:

Pros:
- Interesting waterfront location. The nearby grain and maintenance docks for large ships may not be super trendy (this is no marina), but they do provide an interesting and unique setting. Anyone who has a passing interest in ships will find this kind of cool.
- Clean, very well maintained rooms.
- A friendly, almost family atmosphere sometimes missing at larger chain hotels in this same market.
- Rooms are very quiet due to 'unique' brick construction in the hallways. The location is also in quite a relaxed setting away from major traffic routes (which are still easy to access).
- Excellent value for the money.

Cons:
- Although they are very clean and well maintained, the room style is somewhat dated and Spartan. The hallways are covered in a textured brick pattern that I have not seen elsewhere and could be considered kind of 70's. However, it makes for very quiet rooms and hallways.
- There is nothing that really makes this hotel exciting or terribly romantic, so it is probably more suited to business trips or others seeking a good place to stay at reasonable prices rather than as a romantic get away or a weekend destination for a family with children.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank NV_guy
Reviewed 17 August 2006

Lovely clean rooms, quiet location, helpful staff. Willing to help with all sorts of golf reservations, places to eat(nearby), nearby is a lovely waterfront stroll with river on one side and lovely well kept gardens on the other side. Price is reasonable for the location and room.

1  Thank Helenkay
Reviewed 16 September 2005

Once a year (sometimes more) for the past 15 years (perhaps more) I pass through Sarnia and the Harbourfront Inn is my place of choice to stay. Rooms have recently been renovated. They are larger than many motel rooms where I have paid a higher rate; the beds are comfortable, the TV and air conditioners work, and there is a table to work at and a chair or sofa to relax in. The ice machine always seems to have ice and the included continental breakfast is adequate. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The Inn is next to the St. Clair River and I enjoy sitting on one of the benches and watching the sun set over Port Huron, Michigan, across the river. It is in a quiet location but is only minutes from the Bluewater Bridge, Highway 402 and golf. Restaurants are nearby. The casino is nearby (five minutes) as is Point Edward where Lake Huron drains the waters of the upper Great Lakes into the St. Clair river on their way to Lake Erie. There is a nice park there and the channel is so narrow you can almost shake hands with the ships' crew. For the price, the Harbourfront Inn is not only a nice place to stay but is also a bargain!

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank CinciRFeil
A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, On
Reviewed 17 August 2005

Anyone visiting Sarnia in the near future, make sure you stop by this lilttle Jem. I was a little weery staying at a hotel that I have never heard of before, but am sure glad I did. The service I received upon walking in the door was incrediable. With it being the only hotel located on the water, I was expecting not to get a veiw of the water, seeing that they were probably in high demand, was I wrong. Their frontdesk staff was amazing and very accomodating and managed to sqeeze me into a beautiful room, just newly renovated I was told. The room was spectacular, nicer then any other high scale hotel I have stayed in, that mixed with the friendliness of the staff, made my stay far more than I ever expected. And the price is even more right for what you get in return. This will be my hotel of choice from now on, while staying Sarnia.

• Stayed: July 2004, travelled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Swartz Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 28 April 2005

My husband and I went for our first wedding anniversary. We had a room with a view of the water and he loved being able to sit at night and watch the ships pass by on the St. Clair River. We could also see the Blue Water Bridge from our room, which was beautiful at night.

We got a great package deal and had sparkling wine (you can request real or sparkling) and flowers waiting for us and a great deal that included dinner at the restaurant next door. We liked it so much we are going back this weekend.

The staff were very friendly and wanted to be very helpful. My husband LOVES pizza and they recommended a little pizza place a few miles away that was authentic - I mean you can stand outside the window and watch them tossing the dough and everything. We had a great time!!

The hotel is a bit older, but it does have charm. It is clean and very comfortable and the staff is on hand to try to accommodate your every need. The inside corridors are stone - not drywall - I thought that was very cool and so did my husband. It's not a Holiday Inn type of hotel if that is what you are looking for. But if you are looking for a nice, quiet place to stay where the people are friendly and go out of their way to make you feel at home, then this is the place.

Because it is on the channel where a lot of freighters come through, it is close to some industrial factories, however I did not notice a foul smell or any problems from the factories....but then we were there on the weekend and they were closed for the most part during that time.

• Stayed: May 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarnia
Quality Inn Sarnia
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 16 in Sarnia
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Port Huron

Been to The Harbourfront Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!