“Dissappointed”

The Pub
Ranked #61 of 208 Restaurants in Sarnia
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Formerly known as Ravenous Gastropub & now re-branded as The Pub. A small family owned restaurant serving homemade recipes & craft beer.Live music every Thursday, Friday & Saturday evenings. CLOSED SUNDAYS & MONDAYS OPEN WED-SAT FOR DINNER AT FIVE PM.
“Dissappointed”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Have eaten there before but we were disappointed this time. The restaurant was busy and the food was good other than my T Bone steak? which was so thin it was more like a fast fry steak but I was so hungry after a fairly lengthy wait so I started to eat it so when the waitress came by I showed her & she said she would report it but no one came to see if they could do something about it. We felt completely ignored, NOT good business nor did management come by the tables all evening to ask anyone if everything was ok! We said something again before paying and they discounted the steak dinner but still did not come to us or apologize .I doubt we will return, too bad as Sarnia needs good restaurants. Restaurant has atmosphere and nice decor but lacks personal service. Also the wine was not great, cheap brands and they should invest in decent wine glasses that would let the wine breathe.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank barb1535
nomnom31, Manager at The Pub, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Well it appears Valentines & the T-bones were not a hit. Our bad. We really try the best we can, and unfortunetly this was an apparent off night. An extremely busy evening and our apologies if everything was not up to par. As a small, independent, family owned establishment we do take your comments into consideration, to try and better ourselves for the next guest experience. T-bone's not a hit. Understood. We won't be ordering those for our menu in the future.You did note , that we did discount the item. As manager (the only other person that was working) was also extremely busy & I apologize I was unable to adress the situation myself.But alas , that's the restaurant biz, hectic and stressfull, and trying to get through the evening with a smile on your face without shedding a tear. Much apologies, Thank you & God Bless

Sarnia, Canada
“Not good”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I very rarely get out to dinner, but thought I would try something new for Valentines Day. First off, the mens washroom was so cold he could see his breath. The women's washroom was a little better due to the fact that there was an electric space heater by the door way so it was tolerable. The mans T bone steak beside us was the thickness of a fast fry steak and when he complained about it nothing was done. We arrived and order our appetizers, which took close to 1/2 hour for our appetizers which was ok but then we ordered our meal and it took a very long time. I don't usually complain and have been in the restaurant industry long enough to be patient, however three other tables ordered appetizers, meals and got their bill before we received our meals. When asked when our meals were coming the server said it was coming right out. The manager never came by to see how we were doing, if our meals were ok even after the server knew it was taking too long. We had empty drinks and no food for a very long time. We didn't finish our meals, no dessert and no coffee. We were speaking with the other tables that noticed we were sitting for a long time while we were waiting for our food with a staff member that was cleaning tables as well as the one that seated us as comments were being said about wait times, what was management doing about us, complimentary drink or appetizers etc. but no one came up to us and offered anything. The food itself was no good. The bruschetta was bland, the escargot tasted like salt and the roast beef was more like a pot roast. For the price I paid I expected a better quality cut of meat. Our server was friendly enough, however for whatever the reason was that our food was taking so long be it her mistake or a kitchen back up she should have acknowledged us and told us what was happening. The server was very aware that we were not happy with the wait time or our meals, but didn't seem to care. On my way out I say one of the cooks in a white chefs jacket downing a glass of wine, it was 8:00. I believe every place can have an off night, however I will not return to this establishment and would tell other the same.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank marie b
nomnom31, Manager at The Pub, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Truly sorry that you did not enjoy yourself. Last night was a very busy evening & sometimes in life things don't go exactly to plan. We really truly want everyone to have the best experience possible.
Wait times near the end did take longer than expected, but then again we are a small restaurant. With a small kitchen and each dish is individually prepared for each person. On a night like Valentines or New Years, where it's extremely busy we all wish for everything to run smoothly but unfortunetly sometimes things happen. As for the cold washrooms, yes it's a very old building and has some heating issues. The gentleman with the Steak at the table beside you. He actually did get his meal comped. And the cook drinking a glass of wine, was the owner taking a break from helping in the kitchen. We recently had to let go one of our chef's, and he was filling in and taking a short break after a long exhausting busy day. Again truly sorry you did not have a good experience. I appreciate you for taking the time to write this review. Thank you & God Bless
Petrolia, Canada
“Remarkable”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We enjoyed dinner with 6 of our friends Saturday evening. The food and service was exceptional. I loved the atmosphere - so different for Sarnia. A lovely small scale restaurant that did not disappoint. Everyone enjoyed their meals and drinks - we will definitely be returning!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Mary Kay W
nomnom31, Manager at The Pub, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Excellent! Thank you for writing this. It was a pleasure to take care of all of you this past Saturday. All of you were lovely and a pleasure to serve. Hope to see you all again soon! Thank you & God bless!
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Eclectic and Fun”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Perfect place to eat before a show at the Imperial (right next door), especially on a freezing Sarnia night. Very good food and a pleasant atmosphere. There were only two servers the night we were there and the place was packed. They really did a nice job under the circumstances. Management just needs to have an extra person or two available when there's an event in town.

Visited November 2013
nomnom31, Manager at The Pub, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Haha I would have to agree our location is pretty next to perfect for anyone about to catch a show at the Imperial, especially when Jack Frost is nipping at your nose. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I should perhaps get my hands on an event calendar for the upcoming shows. I'm glad your overall experience was a positive one, and we look forward to the opportunity to take care of you again. Thank you & God Bless!
Sarnia, Canada
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I went last week for dinner and my experience was great!! Food and service were excellent. I am very hard to please and I have to say everything was done to perfection............and my biggest concern when I frequent a restaurant is the server knowing their product on the menu. Our server not only knew her product, but she made a few recommendations which turned out to be delicious.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Sheilla2014
nomnom31, Manager at The Pub, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! I am pleased to hear you had a great experience, and happy to hear positive feedback about our staff. We're truly blessed to have such great staff at Ravenous. that genuinely care about the restaurant. Which I feel enhances our guests experience. You have to love what you do, and WE DO! Thanks again, and God Bless!