“Decent enough for the money” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chipican Motel

Chipican Motel
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Sarnia, Canada
“Decent enough for the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I think maybe people confuse extremely (extremely) dated, with dirty. I found the room clean enough, I wouldn't eat off the carpet, but I wouldn't eat off the carpet anywhere! We stayed here for a night away from the kids after dinner at the Chipican Restaurant (best steak, rivals anywhere!) and a walk in Canatara Park.

You get what you pay for, there are no luxuries here. It doesn't try to be anything it's not. It's a bed to sleep in. I always look for bedbugs, and no evidence of them here. And frankly, the 70s decor is a good laugh.

Room Tip: Definitely eat at the restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KikiTee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wallaceburg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

We stayed there to be close to the bridge and downtown. All those places where we wanted to go were nearby. Next door restaurant food was good. Park in front of the motel is nice for walk & picnic and we enjoyed our weekend stay there. Room was a decent size with two double beds and of course a bathroom with hot showers which was fairly clean. Staff was friendly and very helpful. With the reasonable price, this was perfect for us.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fitneeds
Alliston, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

The office person was very nice as he took my money for the room, of course. Opened the door to an overwhelming stench of old furniture,cigarettes and dirt. The room was decorated with roadside furniture. There was putty filler clumped on the ceiling,stains running down the walls and the carpeting was worn off, We did not remove our shoes. The bedding was very outdated and stained sheets. We had to go to the local walmart and buy new bedding in order to sleep there. The bathroom was inexcuseable. The bathtub was stained with years of brown body scum and black mold, like nothing i have ever seen before. We did not shower. Couldnt. Woke up early wondering if i had contracted lice or bedbugs. I have never felt so dirty and cannot believe they feel this is acceptable to offer people. I think the health inspector needs to be involved here because it was something you would expect in a third world country. Thankfully we did not have small children in this filth. This is not a joke - this is my real experience. Pay a little extra and go somewhere else to sleep!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank funnytoes

Travellers are raving about these Sarnia hotels

Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

I consider myself lucky for not worrying about the bad reviews on this motel. Last week before crossing the bridge I just wanted to have a night rest with the lowest price in any hotel near the bridge, so I took my chances and stayed at this motel. Surprisingly the room was better than my expectations, bathroom was clean, staff was jolly and price was cheap. The motel location is very quiet and I had very good sleep. On my return trip I went straight to this motel and again the room was nice and clean.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Honestly59
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

For the price of $ 55.00 Cnd you could not go wrong. The price reflected the cleanliness and noise. It did not matter that the rooms were outdated but the amount of "dust bunnies" in the sleeping area and dirt in the bathroom could not be overlooked. I did not have a shower due to the bathtub and bathroom surroundings being filthy. The bed seemed comfortable and when I pulled the sheets back, there was yellow stains on the pillows and bedding. I decided to to sleep on top of the bedding instead of inside it.

The walls are thin and you could hear conversations beside and above you as if you were a participant. The level of noise is high not only because of the walls but the road noise as well.

I would recommend others to put up the extra $40.00 and stay somewhere CLEAN.

Also, the "free wi-fi" had poor signal quality.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank BlueSkiesCanada
toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2008

We went for a family reunion and booked for a day but end up. staying two more days. Its a nice cozy budget friendly motel. We stayed in non smoking room which had two double beds with a microwave and a fridge and a desk , chair etc. Room and the bathroom inside was neat and clean and provided with all the necessities.
Motel staff was very friendly and understanding. We enjoyed hiking, and swimming during our stay as the park infront of the motel called canatara park has a beautiful beach.
We will definately come back and would recommend this motel to our friends.

• Liked — neat and cozy room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank TorontoShiningstar
Kitchener
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2008

Not consulting Trip Advisor before we booked this motel was our first mistake. Upon arriving, we were verbally harassed by another person staying at the motel, and should have left right then and there. Since Bayfest is the busiest time of the year, all the other hotels in the area were sold out. The person at the desk charged us more money then they quoted online, and we tried to refund the room, and they wouldn't let us.

Once we saw the condition of the rooms we understood why.... It was the most disgusting room I have ever BEEN in, nevermind slept in. The walls were 70s velvet red wallpaper, the capet was stained and had not been vaccumed in a very long time. The beds were disgusting, and my sheet actually had a knife shaped hole in it. Needless to say, I slept on top of the blankets and kept my shoes on at all times. The next day I wanted to take a shower, and was blown away by the moonsoon that the shower pressure created. I definitely didn't expect that first thing in the morning. The shower pressure was so high, I could barely even stand it. We asked the manager for more towels and we never got them... not that I expected to actually get them anyways.

The second night there was a thunderstorm, and our power continually shut on and off for about an hour, and we thought we were going to die. We felt like we were in a horror movie, and that someone was going to break into our room at any second. Not to mention the lock on our door wasn't secure at all.

The third day we met some of the other people who were also duped into staying at the Chipican, and made some friends through our shared hate for this hotel.

The whole experience was really quite comical because the Chipican's slogan on the front says "Comfortable, Affordable and Quality" which was quite ironic considering it wasn't any of those things.

• Liked — I enjoyed waving goodbye as I drove away
  • Disliked — Staying there.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank Heathereeka