“Unbelieveably - the worst hotel ever”
Review of Chipican Motel

Chipican Motel
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Reviewed 16 July 2006

I was looking at hotels in the Ottawa area when I came across this site, tripadvisor.

I was wondering how honest the reviews were, so I thought I would check to see what was posted about the Chipican. I am impressed...most of the reviews are honest (though I find some a little too charitable for describing the Chipican).

Its really the over powering stench of decay that makes this so memorable. The mold must be several layers deep in the building. I actually feel a little sorry for whoever owns this - you really can't do anything but take it down - its that bad.

This is the first time I actually refused to use a shower - it was that filthy. We were so tired that night, we managed to sleep, but counted ourselves lucky that we only booked for one night.

We visit in the Sarnia area once a year, and we can't help but make jokes about our one night stay at this dive. .

Sarnia should really be embarrassed though about allowing this hotel to keep going

• Stayed: August 2002
5  Thank mickd1014

London
Reviewed 16 July 2006

My husband and I and another couple went to Sarnia for Bayfest. We had booked the room a week prior and were looking forward to the party. We got to the motel, paid for our room $110.00 ouch, and then went to the top floor to look at our room. We opened the door and seen plaster on the walls, curtains hanging from the curtain rod, black spots of mold on the baseboards, ceilings. The advertised A/C was a unit hanging from the wall with wires coming out of every direction. The bathroom had not been cleaned in a very long time and the mold was everywhere. I have seen nicer outhouses than this bathroom. There was so much dust it would have taken me 3 days myself to clean this. We put our things back in our car and requested a refund. Thankfully the Super 8 had a room left and the staff and room was amazing. So a good time was had by all.

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, Ontario Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2006

My husband and I booked a room the Chipican MOtel for the evening of July 8th. We arrived about 1;00 and paid for our room, which was on the second floor . Up the stairs we go with our luggage. Upon walking along to our room 19, there are broken windows screens that are just hanging off and the window are very dirty. Open the room, OH MY GOD, DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY. The bathroom and black mold everywhere, the furniture looked like GOODWILL, THE tv was dusty and lamp on the table has cob webs on it, the air conditioner didn't work. THIS MOTEL IS A PIG PEN AND SHOULD BE CONDEMDED.We left the Motel came back at 11;00pm took our cases and left for home in London. I really feel cheated out of a weekend with my husband.

• Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
falkirk scotland
Reviewed 27 May 2006

Went back to sarnia looked in at this motel to see if it had improved from my September05 visit. Sorry to say it was still the same. Filthy and the same surly character on the front desk. Didn't stay and didn't pay. Have passed my comments onto my Canadain friends and to Sarnia chamber of commerce

Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2005

The room amenities offered within room were more than to be expected. Staff were extremely friendly and provided prompt service. The room rates were incredible considering the location and amenities offered. I will most assuredly return to this motel.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2005

This "motel" filth hole is nearer the truth. Grabs your money then gives you the key. ALL unoccupied room have the drapes closed so that culable punters cannot see the dirt till they pay their hard earned cash.When you complain and ask for your money back it is against internet booking policy for them to do so LIES they set the policy not the internet. I tried 2 seperate "clean rooms" before walking out. each room was filthy fly ridden and I would not have taken my shoes off to walk on their carpets. The bath was rusty the wall tiles cracked from floor to ceiling. The cupboard under tiolet sink was stinking and soaking wet the shelve was twisted from damp the bed sheets were stiched and looked as if someone had used a knife on them the top one had a washed in stain which looked like blood.THEY CLAIM TO BE CLEAN and AFFORDABLE. I have seen cleaner doss houses

• Stayed: September 2005
11  Thank alex40
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed 23 June 2005

I wish I had come to this website to read the reviews before I paid my hard earned $63.08 to spend the night at this place. This is the worst place we've ever stayed in... even worse than the backwoods motel we previously thought was the worst in Paduca, Kentucky when the hotel clerk asked us to borrow money for cigarettes.

After waiting for a while in the stuffy little registration room, we checked in and were assigned to room #8. After we got our stuff in the room, it was stifling hot (it was in the 90's that day) so I went to turn on the a/c. My husband sleeps with a fan every night and plugged it in to help circulate the cool air since the a/c unit seemed to be old as the hills.

The room had a door that connected to the next room but there was no lock on it... it had masking tape around the whole door, taping it to the casing and masking tape was also covering the hole in the door where the door knob/lock should have been. The television did not work... so I messed around with it and got it working and even programmed it so that we could get in more channels. I put a chair in front of the masking taped door so that if someone did happen to get in, at least we'd hear it. The room smelled bad but I assumed it was from the heat & humidity since it was supposed to be a non-smoking room.

We needed to eat supper so we decided to go get something to eat. As we were driving back into the parking lot after eating, the man who had checked us in walked to us (barefoot) and said, We have a problem... the power is out. I got all excited thinking we'd get our money back and we could go somewhere else. He said he was going to check the breaker. After about 1/2 hour, the power came back on and we heard a knock on the door. My husband opened the door and in walks the barefoot guy asking if everything came back on. He then walked over to where my husband's fan was running and said we could NOT run the fan because that is what caused the whole building to blow. My husband told him that we would not be staying there if he could not run the fan and the guy said it is too much for their electrical system. So my husband asked for our money back but the guy said since we booked over the internet we could not get a refund. The guy told us to unplug and a/c and we could use the fan... or unplug the microwave & fridge. It was a total mess...

The guy finally left and we decided to take showers... the bathroom was atrocious and the shower water came out in a fine mist soaking everything in the whole bathroom... my shoes & clothes were dripping wet when I got out. I had my husband hand me my slippers because I was afraid to walk on the floor barefoot. The bathroom had cracks in the tile and even if someone did try to fill the cracks, they never wiped off the excess. I wish I had taken pictures so I could have shown my kids how bad it really was... words are not able to describe how yucky it was.

The motel is not in a bad area of town but I did not feel safe... we did not sleep well because there were motorcycles in & out and we were ready to get out of there as soon as we got up.

• Stayed: June 2005