“A real dump”
Review of Chipican Motel

Chipican Motel
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Reviewed 19 August 2006

This place is the kind of place you would drive by and wonder "who would stay there" Room rentals very cheap by the week.
Curtains are dirty and hanging off the windows. The restaurant next door is a good cheap steak place (different owners) but the hotel needs to be gutted

• Stayed: August 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank Trustmetotravel

Reviewed 7 August 2006

I stayed at this motel for a night during the Bayfest weekend. Their rooms were fine, not too fancy and luxurious. The room I had, had all the basic necessities I required and I found it to be a decent enough place to stay peacefully at for the night, with a pretty reasonable price.

When I went there the motel was almost fully booked, but the staff did a good job of keeping it very quiet during the night time. My room had everything they said, though I really had no use for the mini-fridge or microwave, because I dined at the next door Chipican Restaurant. I strongly recommend that restaurant to anyone who has the chance of stopping by there. They truly served some of the best steaks I've ever had.

I read some of the other reviews from some of the other travelers here, and I think some of them simply had different expectations than I had, or were simply impossible to please, complaining about every little thing.

Everything is nearby this motel's location, and I'd probably stay there again, especially for rate I recieved.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 27 July 2006

This hotel was so bad we did not even walk on the carpets with bare feet. The matresses filty. The bathroom moldy. The "drapes" held up by masking tape. I do not know how this place hasn't been shut down already. We stayed up and out of the room for as long as possible. Because it was for one night and we were leaving early in the morning we stayed. NEVA AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank missj2873
Reviewed 16 July 2006

I was looking at hotels in the Ottawa area when I came across this site, tripadvisor.

I was wondering how honest the reviews were, so I thought I would check to see what was posted about the Chipican. I am impressed...most of the reviews are honest (though I find some a little too charitable for describing the Chipican).

Its really the over powering stench of decay that makes this so memorable. The mold must be several layers deep in the building. I actually feel a little sorry for whoever owns this - you really can't do anything but take it down - its that bad.

This is the first time I actually refused to use a shower - it was that filthy. We were so tired that night, we managed to sleep, but counted ourselves lucky that we only booked for one night.

We visit in the Sarnia area once a year, and we can't help but make jokes about our one night stay at this dive. .

Sarnia should really be embarrassed though about allowing this hotel to keep going

• Stayed: August 2002
5  Thank mickd1014
London
Reviewed 16 July 2006

My husband and I and another couple went to Sarnia for Bayfest. We had booked the room a week prior and were looking forward to the party. We got to the motel, paid for our room $110.00 ouch, and then went to the top floor to look at our room. We opened the door and seen plaster on the walls, curtains hanging from the curtain rod, black spots of mold on the baseboards, ceilings. The advertised A/C was a unit hanging from the wall with wires coming out of every direction. The bathroom had not been cleaned in a very long time and the mold was everywhere. I have seen nicer outhouses than this bathroom. There was so much dust it would have taken me 3 days myself to clean this. We put our things back in our car and requested a refund. Thankfully the Super 8 had a room left and the staff and room was amazing. So a good time was had by all.

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, Ontario Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2006

My husband and I booked a room the Chipican MOtel for the evening of July 8th. We arrived about 1;00 and paid for our room, which was on the second floor . Up the stairs we go with our luggage. Upon walking along to our room 19, there are broken windows screens that are just hanging off and the window are very dirty. Open the room, OH MY GOD, DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY. The bathroom and black mold everywhere, the furniture looked like GOODWILL, THE tv was dusty and lamp on the table has cob webs on it, the air conditioner didn't work. THIS MOTEL IS A PIG PEN AND SHOULD BE CONDEMDED.We left the Motel came back at 11;00pm took our cases and left for home in London. I really feel cheated out of a weekend with my husband.

• Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
falkirk scotland
Reviewed 27 May 2006

Went back to sarnia looked in at this motel to see if it had improved from my September05 visit. Sorry to say it was still the same. Filthy and the same surly character on the front desk. Didn't stay and didn't pay. Have passed my comments onto my Canadain friends and to Sarnia chamber of commerce

Stayed: April 2006