“Only if you are desparate”

Satelite Motel Sault Ltd
Windsor, Canada
“Only if you are desparate”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

It was a heck of a night! I had just spent one of the best weeks of my life camping up at Ney's Park . The weather had been fantastic all but for the last night. I didn't get much sleep that night in my tent and on my return trip back south decided it would be best to stay over in Sault Ste. Marie. I stopped at a campsite- that was the plan! Unfortunately, the weather turned severe again in the middle of the night. I was soaked again and completely exhausted. At 3 am, I made an executive decision to pack up the tent and drive into Sault Ste Marie to find a room and try to get some sleep.

I arrived cold and tired. I tried a few other places first, but they were booked. I needed a pet friendly place as I had my dog with me. The Satelite had a room and I checked in at about 4 am.
I was a little flabbergasted with the price. $77.00 for a night on a Sunday seemed a little steep for a small motel- that's even more than the Super 8. I decided not to judge a book by it's cover and besides, I was desperate. I just wanted a clean, dry place to lay my head, a hot shower and wifi to plan my trip for the next day.

The Satelite motel was not really all that it was advertised to be. The rooms smelled a little musty, the sheets didn't look great- so I brought in my own pillows and covers and put them on the bed. The towels were threadbare and dirty- so I used my own towels. They had soap- that's a positive. They could have taken a few dollars from the 77 I paid to buy a new shower curtain, it was stained and moldy. The air conditioner was hard to turn on- but I got it. It is one of the models from the 70s maybe. The air conditioner helped take the smell from the room. The wifi was out and there was no outlet in the room to plug in my laptop to recharge- I had to find one in the bathroom. The water in the shower was hot thank goodness!!

I finally got some sleep! However was woken up by someone trying to get into the room in the morning to clean it. So if you are absolutely desparate- this motel offers a safe, dry place to lay your head- but that is about it. It is way overpriced for what it offers. Travellers beware- if you stay here, I advise to bring your own bedding and towels.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I did 3 mistake before renting a room:
1- I judged the motel by its exterior (really nice)
2- did not ask to check out the room before renting
3- didn't check the reviews on here

....where to begin... I've stayed in outdated motels before but they were always clean. Not here. The bed just seemed dirty and overally used. I could see hair in the pillow case and in the sheets. The shower was barely clean, still had hair and soap scum ( that could easily been washed off). The wi-fi barely worked, AC was broken and I didn't feel comfortable taking off my sandals. To top it off I had a stranger walk into my room, he go mixed up with the room number and his key managed to unlock my door!!

The lady handled it well and refunded me for the 2 other nights that I was going to stay, but overall worst place I've stayed.

• Stayed August 2013
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed at the Satelite Motel for 3 nights. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was very clean and well kept. Had a great time would stay there again. Room was a little out dated but for the price is to be expected. We had nice stay overall.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Larry B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I had been using this hotel for a few month when i drove back and forth between Edmonton and Toronto for Christmas Holidays

After this recent visit, I will never come here again.

When I called in to book a room, I was told to just come in on the day of, and i would get a room. when i asked for the price, i was told that it was $60 for the night.

I arrived a day after I had called, to check in. I almost slipped on the front steps, from the ice/slush. i said that someone could get hurt from them not salting. The response that i got was "You'd better watch your step", with a smug look on her face.

When i asked for the rate, she then said it was $69 + Tax, mentioned the conversation the night before, and her reply was, "well you would've talked to me, and i didn't give that price over the phone". I wasn't in the mood to argue, as i had been driving for 10 hours and wanted to sleep.

I had asked for a room in the usual section of the motel that i stayed in, and was told that they were only using 1 side of the motel as the rest was book, but the lot was empty, and there were NO tire tracks in the snow.

Went into the room, where i had asked for 2 queen beds, for a couple and a child. the room had 2 doubles, smelled like urine and mold.

Beds were uncomfortable as hell. the bathroom was like a child's shoebox in size, no privacy.

I went back to ask for another room, and was told that they would not give me another room, and that the staff cleans everyday. I call bulls#!t.

They then proceeded to tell me that they were not giving me a refund, and i could feel free to leave if i didn't like it< and she just walked away from me, back into her room/office

New managers Melissa and Mike (The Names they gave me, doubt if the're real), took over this place 7 months ago (so they say) which puts it back to May 2012. I wonder how many people have had a bad experience since then.

The old managers were awesome, these people suck and I don't recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MrRampage
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I'd like to keep this short and sweet. The place is a bit dirty ie/ dead bugs in windowsill, gross bed covers and sheets, dirt behind sink from not cleaning properly, lamps not working, phone not working. The people who own it are beyond HORRIBLE in any means of customer service ie/ refusing, then very reluctantly replacing sheets with blood stains on them, whilst yelling at us, & heating turned off in the middle of the night, so quite cold. water wasn't hot, water pressure wasn't good in shower, so after cold day, not the best. If you can avoid staying here, do that. If there is absolutely no where else to stay, it's fine, but the service makes it that much worse!!!

Room Tip: check for stains on bedsheets or towels if you really have to stay. avoid if you can.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank grrr12345
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2012

We had booked 4 rooms at this motel “Satellite Motel” We booked this one because we needed a smoking room and this motel said it had one. My group was the first to arrive. Didn’t seem too bad. I walked into the room and almost threw up. Smelled like cat pee everywhere. I went down to the front desk to ask if they had another room because there was no way we could stay in that room. The desk clerk proceeded to tell me, adamantly that she had just cleaned the room and the workers that had just left the room after a month, there was no way they had an animal. After a bit of coaxing I got another key to another room, which smelt better, so we ended up in that room. I also had to ask for another set of towels as we were going to be 3 in the room, which we had told them when we booked all the rooms. We later discovered that as we washed in the bathroom sink that we had to have a garbage pail under the pee trap, as there was a large hole in it. So therefore all weekend we had to keep dumping after washing and brushing our teeth.
We later also discovered that after booking the motel for the smoking room that the people that were in the room decided to stay another night and that our smoking group wouldn’t be getting the room they requested.
The second night, in one of the other rooms, one of the other groups were splitting on the room and the one girl forgot to pay for the second night before going to her sports function and casino for the day. The front desk called up and said that if the room wasn’t paid before midnight they were going to have them removed.
Some of the towels had to be replaced because of stains etc.. The towels were basically threwn at us when the male manager brought them to us.
Definitely not recommended..go somewhere else !!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathy L
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed one night at this motel September 1, 2012. The room was very small but adequate for one night. However, the air conditioner did not work and the window was tiny so it was very hot and stuffy. When I spoke to the manager, they just said it did work - so basically saying we were lying. We were in a hurry so we didn't bother arguing. The power went off during the evening - not their fault - but after that, the TV didn't work either - not even the next morning. They didn't seem to care when we mentioned that as well. The people in the room beside us were noisy well after 1am and though no smoking in the rooms, they were smoking constantly outside the door and it was coming in our window which we had to have open as the ac not working. We forgot a good quality double bed sheet (for our dog) there by mistake and when I phoned about it later in the week (Wednesday so four days later) - they said they had thrown it out. I called back the next day to complain to the manager and he just said they were not responsible. We felt their attitude was very unhelpful and uncaring - they obviously don't need our business so we won't be back.

Room Tip: Check the room and ac before you pay.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple