Honestly, we liked our stay at the Ambassador Motel down the road better than staying here. Maybe we are the kind of travelers who prefer real life people as opposed to service-oriented employees. To begin with, they got the date of our reservation wrong, though when I called I am sure I said the right date (I even wrote it down) but that's ok, it's just human error. Besides, it was fixed easily and not a problem. I can't help but wonder, though, had our original reservation been the right date if we would have been stuck on the fifth floor. The elevator always seemed to take forever and when you have a train to catch or lots of luggage to haul, a slow elevator is very irritating. Also, the entrance to our stairwell was under construction which was slightly more inconvenient.
It was our first night of our honeymoon and we traveled over four hours to get there from Lansing, Michigan and enjoy a romantic evening in our whirlpool suite and eat a quiet dinner at the restaurant (Casey's). As we got seated at the restaurant, which seemed empty at first glance, the host brought us over to a very small area of the giant room that had about ten to twelve tables crammed into a tiny space. He put us smack dab in the middle table surrounded by booths of chatting people. I asked if we could be seated somewhere quieter and he hurriedly explained that he didn't have any more tables or booths available and we had to sit there, he did not apologize or even offer to seat us at the furthest table that at least was not surrounded by full tables. As I looked around the large room, there was "the Pub" which was basically empty, a second level that had one table of customers and a handful of empty tables and another side by the host which had one table of customers and a dozen empty tables. Maybe it's just me, but there was plenty of spaces they could have put us, especially since we had asked. Maybe they had one designated area for dinner, but when you tell someone who asked to seated somewhere quiet that you simply don't have any more tables even when it's plain that you do, perhaps you should explain why or make an exception to your invisible borderlines. At any rate, our dinner felt rushed and we barely said a word to each other. I didn't finish my drink or feel like staying for dessert. We felt very conspicuous and didn't want to be in the middle of everything after a long day on the road. I will say, though, that our dinner was extremely tasty. Very, very good food.
We then went back to our room in hopes to finally have some quiet romance and we start up the whirlpool. It was an enjoyable night except for the blinding bathroom lights. You'd think that if you had an expensive "romantic" whirlpool suite that you'd put in some mood lighting, a dimmer switch or something, but all they had was either bright lights or no lights which really isn't very romantic at all. Any way, we made due and we had a decent sleep and the bed was very comfortable.
If I go back to Sault Ste Marie, I will probably stay at the Ambassador Motel again (which we did on the second night) because they have a chip wagon out front with picnic tables, a private and quiet pool, a friendly host who talks and listens to you like you're a real person and you can park right outside your door. There is no entry for this motel on this website, so that's why I'm plugging it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A full-service Inn with 176 rooms and suites, The Water Tower Inn offers professional and genuine hospitality. Under one roof, you'll find Casey's Grill.Bar, the Water Tower Pub (live music Wed. To Sat.), Club Cabana Aqua Spa with the Sault's only 4-season outdoor whirlpool, Tempospa Health & Fitness, The Pavilion Conference and Event Centre, and the McGuffin Gallery. Located at the cross-roads of Sault Ste. Marie, there are many shops and restaurants nearby, plus ample parking (perfect for those with bigger rigs). If you're on an outdoor adventure, we offer free secured storage for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and outdoor equipment such as kayaks. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Water Tower Inn, BW Premier Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Algoma`s Water Tower Hotel Sault Ste. Marie
- Algoma`s Water Tower Inn And Suites
- Algomas Water Hotel
- Hotel Algomas Water
- The Water Tower Inn, BW Premier Collection Sault Ste. Marie, Canada - Ontario