The Water Tower Inn, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Honestly, we liked our stay at the Ambassador Motel down the road better than staying here. Maybe we are the kind of travelers who prefer real life people as opposed to service-oriented employees. To begin with, they got the date of our reservation wrong, though when I called I am sure I said the right date (I even wrote it down) but that's ok, it's just human error. Besides, it was fixed easily and not a problem. I can't help but wonder, though, had our original reservation been the right date if we would have been stuck on the fifth floor. The elevator always seemed to take forever and when you have a train to catch or lots of luggage to haul, a slow elevator is very irritating. Also, the entrance to our stairwell was under construction which was slightly more inconvenient.

It was our first night of our honeymoon and we traveled over four hours to get there from Lansing, Michigan and enjoy a romantic evening in our whirlpool suite and eat a quiet dinner at the restaurant (Casey's). As we got seated at the restaurant, which seemed empty at first glance, the host brought us over to a very small area of the giant room that had about ten to twelve tables crammed into a tiny space. He put us smack dab in the middle table surrounded by booths of chatting people. I asked if we could be seated somewhere quieter and he hurriedly explained that he didn't have any more tables or booths available and we had to sit there, he did not apologize or even offer to seat us at the furthest table that at least was not surrounded by full tables. As I looked around the large room, there was "the Pub" which was basically empty, a second level that had one table of customers and a handful of empty tables and another side by the host which had one table of customers and a dozen empty tables. Maybe it's just me, but there was plenty of spaces they could have put us, especially since we had asked. Maybe they had one designated area for dinner, but when you tell someone who asked to seated somewhere quiet that you simply don't have any more tables even when it's plain that you do, perhaps you should explain why or make an exception to your invisible borderlines. At any rate, our dinner felt rushed and we barely said a word to each other. I didn't finish my drink or feel like staying for dessert. We felt very conspicuous and didn't want to be in the middle of everything after a long day on the road. I will say, though, that our dinner was extremely tasty. Very, very good food.

We then went back to our room in hopes to finally have some quiet romance and we start up the whirlpool. It was an enjoyable night except for the blinding bathroom lights. You'd think that if you had an expensive "romantic" whirlpool suite that you'd put in some mood lighting, a dimmer switch or something, but all they had was either bright lights or no lights which really isn't very romantic at all. Any way, we made due and we had a decent sleep and the bed was very comfortable.

If I go back to Sault Ste Marie, I will probably stay at the Ambassador Motel again (which we did on the second night) because they have a chip wagon out front with picnic tables, a private and quiet pool, a friendly host who talks and listens to you like you're a real person and you can park right outside your door. There is no entry for this motel on this website, so that's why I'm plugging it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
D0nna_H, General Manager at The Water Tower Inn, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review for our Inn, and congratulations on your marriage. Your candid comments have helped us fine-tune areas of our training programs. Our mantra is to “Exceed Guest Expectations”, and we work very hard at this. Sometimes, in spite of great care taken, things can go awry. We were very concerned about your dining room experience, but glad you enjoyed your meals. Casey’s Grill.Bar is a very popular restaurant. The seating experience you had should not have happened, and our restaurant manager has shared your experience with staff. It is our policy to accommodate special guest requests whenever we can. We certainly invite you to visit us again should you return to Sault Ste. Marie, and please contact me personally if you should make a reservation again. We have also sent you a personal email.

Donna Hilsinger

Algoma’s Water Tower Inn & Suites

Reviewed 5 July 2010

If you want a Inn that has everything under one roof, this is it! The food was excellent at Caseys, for breasfast and Supper. Our room was very nice. The staff was very helpfull. We will stay here again when we travel to Canada!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I thought the staff was wonderful, the facilities very modern and I loved the landscape. I was also pleased that Casey's was attached. It is handy when you have had a long day and you can just walk back to your room. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
D0nna_H, General Manager at The Water Tower Inn, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2010

Thank you for your gracious comments. We shall pass on your compliments to, in your words, our “wonderful” staff. June is a great month to stroll through our outdoor courtyards, when gardens are in bloom and the songbirds flit and chirp in the trees. They love the ponds and waterfalls as much as our guests do. We’re glad you also enjoyed the convenience of Casey’s Grill.Bar, a well-known brand restaurant with a Northern Ontario history and 33 venues across Ontario and Quebec. Thanks for staying with us at the Inn!

Reviewed 21 June 2010

I recently traveled to this hotel with a large group. Although some members of group rented rooms of differing sizes, all were extremely pleased with the cleanliness and the attention to detail throughout the entire hotel.

The lobby is large and impressive, with a jumbo screen behind the front desk showing local tourist attractions like rivers and waterfalls just a short drive from the hotel.

I stayed in the governor's suite, which featured a large living room complete with a fireplace and a wet bar. I ordered that a pizza be delivered to the room and found that there were no plates in the room. I called the front desk to request that plates be sent to the room. I was expecting that the plates would arrive within five minutes or so but was surprised that the room server was at my door in less than one minute. This is only one example from many possible examples of an all-around excellent experience for myself and all of the members of my party.
The bathroom was also well-appointed with a large bathtub and a state-of-the-art shower (rainfall and body jets) all with precise temperature control. For a hotel built right under the town's water tower, it goes without saying that the water pressure was fantastic. (Low water pressure is my #1 pet peeve in some hotels.)

Another great part of my stay at the Water Tower Inn was the restaurant, where I ate a heavenly stack of pancakes, topped with fresh fruit, peanut butter and pure Canadian maple syrup.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
jocewatt, Communications Manager at The Water Tower Inn, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Algoma's Water Tower Inn & Suites. One of the great pleasures I have in my job is being able to give staff a heads up when we get a new review...after all, they are the reason we get compliments such as yours. You stayed in our Governor General's Suite...the largest and grandest of our many attractive suites. A Governor General of Canada was the first guest to stay there, and hence the name. In fact, some rather famous celebs have lodged in that particular suite. We have recently finished a complete redesign and renovation of the entire Inn, and the GG is a shining example of the comfort and amenity we try to offer all of our guests. Your pizza by the way, was baked in our wood-burning oven. Come back for pancakes any time!
Jocelyn Watt
Communications Mgr.

Reviewed 19 June 2010

2nd time back to the same inn and this time was not very pleasant. For family trips, this might be a good place but not for business trips and stay inn. Noise can be heard from the rooms next door, it is a bit hard to concentrate if you are working in your room. I had to end my entire stay and found a much better hotel at the Delta Waterfront. It is a more recommendable place to stay compared between the two.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
teacapan, General Manager at The Water Tower Inn, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2010

Dear reviewer,
We are very sorry to hear that your visit to the Inn was not to your expectations, especially since you’ve stayed with us before. You don’t mention whether you contacted our Reception staff to voice your concerns. They are highly responsive and trained to address infractions in a timely manner. Truth is, we rarely receive “noise” complaints, and those are usually isolated incidents due to isolated factors. Although the Inn offers many room types and amenities that make family stays here fun and comfortable, we are also one of the favoured business, meeting, and conference properties in Northern Ontario. (We constantly survey our business clients to assess how well we are doing). We have a large, permanent base of business guests in our President’s Rewards Club, and business people and meeting planners cite our Business Centre, support services, professional staff and catering as top-of-the- line. Earlier this year we completed a total redesign for the Inn, and added more business room types and amenities to our roster. We have emailed you to respond personally to your concern, and to see how we can get you back to the Inn.
Donna Hilsinger

Reviewed 6 June 2010

I'm on the road 80% of the tmie on business. This hotel was recommended to me by a business associate who is local. It is by far the nicest, best valued hotel I've had anywhere in Canada. If it was in every town, I'd be there! It's like someone is in a back room thinking of what hasn't been perfected every day- alot of attention to detail. really nice pool area, highly recommend for family or business.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind and enthusiastic review of our Inn. As we like to say: "Business meets at the Inn". Business travellers seem to really appreciate the free wireless high speed Internet they can access all through the Inn and our 2 restaurants, Casey's Grill.Bar and The Pub. Our recent total renovation allowed us to refine the services and amenities we offer business guests. You compliment the pool area...hope you had a chance to enjoy everyone's favourite... the outdoor whirlpool by the waterfalls.
Looking forward to your revisit,
Jocelyn Watt
Communications

Reviewed 18 May 2010

On a recommendation from friends, my son and I stayed at the Water Tower on our way to BC. We had a good workout in the gym, a super swim and (deep) hot tub, great meal at adjoining Casey's and a good night's sleep. Very easy to find on the TransCanada and easier to get out of town. We walked to the nearby Walmart and bought fixin's for the road for next day. Best of all was the Hilsinger family attention. JJ's biking stories, although you have to kind of pull them out of him, were very inspiring to my son who also wants to travel the world on bike. Reasonable rates just topped it all off.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family