“Not bad hotel not great either.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Horseshoe Valley, Canada
“Not bad hotel not great either.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

stayed at the Sleep Inn for 3 nights, I found the rooms very small. the sink part of the bathroom is in the bed room and the toilet and stand up shower are in a tiny room off the bedroom. I think because of the small bathroom there is not much ventilation there for we noticed some mold growing in the shower all ready, not expected in a fairly new hotel.
Breakfast was alright, had some hot items, but they came out of a bag and into the microwave, not to tasty, they could do with a waffle machine like most hotels that size.
The price was good .
If there is something else available for the same price like super 8 I would probably go there,

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Sleep I, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Sleep Inn Sault Ste. Marie. I hope you had the opportunity to try our French Toast Sticks they have been very well received and offer a sweet option along with eggs, sausages and other satisfying choices. Our one piece acrylic shower units have always been maintenance free due to their anti-mold design. I wish you had let us know there was a problem at the time of your stay because I personally went through all the guest rooms and could not find any signs of mold.

Joe Dore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

This hotel is such a gem. I was here last October (2011) when they were in the middle of a total renovation to turn this facility into the sleek, slick, chic, modern, fantastic hotel that it is today. There is no other place I'll ever stay when I'm in the Soo. It's right in the middle of everything: shopping, restaurants, downtown, etc.

I loved the two rooms I've had at this hotel in the last 10 months; they're so modern and crisp and clean and sleek, like something you'd see in Europe. Not that Canada or the US doesn't have sleek, slick hotels, but.. most of the ones I've been in have been "traditional" in design and this one is decidedly modern. I love it. As an architect, I think that the details make the magic here. There are many great, convenient lights with perfect light switch placement, which is something more often than not overlooked at most other hotels. The great flat-screen TV is in the perfect spot for working at the desk and the wireless was super fast as well. The sleek floor tile is super high-end as is the carpet. The bed was like being on an anti-gravity machine, SO comfortable like I was floating on a cloud. The pillows were 100% perfect, for me, as well. All of the millwork and cabinets are totally custom made for each room and it shows. The cabinet door hardware is sleek as is the new faucet and vanity. One holdout from the classic Sleep Inn design is the stand-up shower with rounded end which I think is great, I'm glad they didn't change this feature. I prefer this to a bathtub with shower but that's just my personal preference.

The breakfast was great with coffee, tea, juices, and little omlets and sausage and waffles, etc. The one thing I didn't see was packets of oatmeal, which would have been nice.

There are really only two things I would change / add to finish the fantastic renovation on this hotel. One thing I would love to see changed would be to add new, stainless door hardware to the room entrance doors. They are still the original, old gold-colored handles and really look dated compared to the perfectly modern silver/stainless hardware that was added throughout the rest of the rooms. Also, my nagging issue with no door gasket material really was a problem here. The door literally showed light through it on all four sides (top, bottom, and both sides); and if it shows hallway light, it WILL transfer hallway noise into your room. That's exactly what happened. I could clearly hear the people laughing and talking in a room across the hallway, through their closed door! That should never, ever happen. $5 worth of gasket material around the door frame would have solved that problem. I sure hope the folks at this unbelievably nice hotel do this one last thing to "finish" their world-class renovation. If it wasn't for the great, new heating / AC / fan unit, that I had to turn on to drown out the noise, it would have been a sleepless night.

It's one of the best hotels that I've ever stayed in anywhere in Canada, the US, Europe, or Asia. With a very quick, inexpensive change, it would be at the top of my list. Very, very well done, Sleep Inn!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

We were here from July 26 to July 31, 2012. I didn't take pictures because our king room was exactly as shown on the website - nicely decorated and very clean. Housekeeping is efficient and thorough. Having a fridge in the room is so handy. The staff is friendly, there is breakfast in the morning, and coffee all day. Don't hesitate to stay here for a short stay. We hope to be back.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

The hotel is located a block off the water front and a large park/boardwalk. Its also just down the street from a mall and other smaller restaurants and businesses. The hotel itself is well kept and the rooms are spacious and new looking. Beds were comfortable and other than the odd fog horn from the passing boats the place was quiet. One draw back is that there was no elevator and offered no assistance with baggage.

Room Tip: Request ground floor room!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Milwaukee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

We had not made a reservation and after driving around the city chose the Sleep Inn because its location was perfect for walking access to the cities excellent river boardwalk, shopping mall and other attractions. One minor issue with our room was the location of the sink outside of the bathroom. We found that to be awkward and inconvenient. Beyond that, everything about our experience with this hotel was positive. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

We are fussy people -- not extravagant, but particular about the rooms in which we stay. We have stayed at the Sleep Inn, Sault Ste. Marie, 4 times in the past 2 years. This location is steps from the St. Mary's River and the Millennium Fountain. The Art Gallery of Algoma is next door, and further down the riverside walk you'll find restaurants and a shopping mall. We travel through the Soo almost yearly, and this will remain our first choice hotel.

The rooms are cheaper than most in the area, and yet it is one of the newer hotels. The rooms are in pristine shape, very clean, very comfortable, and plenty of towels are supplied. The wireless internet works like a charm, and there are fridges in every room, ironing boards/irons, blow dryers, and complimentary coffee/tea (including the 4 cup coffee maker). They do offer a complimentary continental breakfast, although I can't rate it, because we're overnighters in the midst of a long haul.

On every occasion, the staff has been very friendly and helpful, and they've given us absolutely no grief over our well-behaved and quiet Newfoundland dog. We couldn't be happier than we have been with this hotel.

Room Tip: Let them know if you're travelling with a dog, and they'll try to provide a room on the grou...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed here with a group of 24 tourists from Germany, Switzerland and Austria for 1 night.
It was the 4th of July and we had the perfect view from Canada on the US fireworks across the river! The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was standard. Walking distance to some of the - very few - restaurants in town. Nice and quiet place. Our group just enjoyed the stay .

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends