“Ok hotel but no so good of the neighborhood!”
Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Naperville, Illinois
“Ok hotel but no so good of the neighborhood!”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The room is clean. Breakfast is ok and don't expect are lots. The surrounding of the hotel is iffy. When we stayed there on August, the back door which you enter the hotel had no lock. Which mean anyone from outside could get into the hotel inside. If you only go up to Sault Ste. Marie, Canada to take the Agawa Canyon train ride, that won't be a bad hotel to stay in since it was very reasonable price. This hotel has no swimming pool which is not good if you travel with kid.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I found nothing to complain about here. We blew in (literally - Sault St Marie had amazing rain and street flooding) on July 26th. The power was out at the hotel and many other areas of the city when we arrived. Never the less the young lady at the desk checked us in, gave us a flashlight and escorted us down to our room. Power was restored about an hour later.

We were on a road trip and didn't utilize all of the amenities but I will say the hotel was clean, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was adequate. We've had better but paid perhaps $20 to $30 more for a room. Regarding price, the Sleep Inn was also the most reasonably priced property we stayed in while in Canada. I'm not implying that the Sleep Inn was under priced, rather. it seems to me that other hotels we stayed at in Canada were expensive. I'm not sure why, it didn't bother me when the exchange rate was $1.30 : $1.00 years ago but today with the exchange rate so close you'd think that hotel prices in Canada would generally be closer to US pricing.

One last thing, I added an extra star for location. The Sleep Inn is a short stroll from the Sault St. Marie waterfront park. This is a beautiful area right on the St. Marys river. It's a wonderful place to stretch your legs, have a picnic or walk the dog. A longer walk or a short drive on Bay St. takes you to the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Center an interesting place to visit if you have the time and an interest in aviation.

So we have a nice place to stay that's right on top of a couple of great attractions. Stay there!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2013

It was excellent! From the friendly service at the front desk, to our room (we booked a king size bed and it was so comfortable) to the breakfast. Very modern rooms usually only found in Europe, with a large shower, pocket door to the toilet and shower area, and the sink is outside of that room. Very convenient! It was also a very large room! Can't say enough about this place, other than we would always stay here when we are in the Soo!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Price was excellent, staff was very helpful, but we found the hotel quite noisy. Heard a lot of hall noise and noise from other guests coming to the ice machine which was near our room. Breakfast not that great. Is about a mile from the Agawa Canyon train so you will probably want to drive to the train station.

Room Tip: Ask to be located away from the ice machine and away from supply rooms for the staff.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RMD06
Joe D, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for your review. We do offer a very competitive price and our staff are very knowledgeable and helpful. We offer a free hot breakfast every day from 6 to 10am. As well as your standard continental items our breakfast also includes egg, sausages, and toast. I’m sorry you had issues with people walking through the hallway. We have someone at the front desk 24 hours a day and if there are any problems we encourage our guests to contact the front desk.
Joe Dore
High Level, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Staff was lovely, clean rooms. Great price!!! Beauiful location.Very happy with this stay, will stay again in the future! Breakfest was great too. Very friendly house keepers too. We ordered in, and had enoug room to eat. Room was very modern and clean!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I stayed at this location twice within a two week period on my east/westbound trips between Ontario and Manitoba.

This really is a hidden gem in the Soo. I stayed here last year and it did not disappoint me. They also allow pets for an overnight fee of $10. Given the excellent price on the room at $85 (way more affordable than the Best Western in Tbay) it’s really a great bargain.

The hotel is showing its age but the accommodations are convenient, clean and well maintained. The front desk staff were very pleasant and helped me find some local eateries where I could get some takeout food. Traveling with a pet really limits your options.

It is very much off the beaten path but this is a nice change from the craziness of the highway motel route. It is a nice quiet location and great for walking even if you don’t have a pet.

They even supplied bar soap in addition to the wacky in-shower body wash dispenser which is sold as a body soap/shampoo and desert topping (I made that last one up.) I was never fond of this stuff as it would not lather for me using a hand cloth. The bathroom is tiny but what more do you need? I am not a fan of the bath so the shower stall is perfect for me.

My only complaint was a reefer truck in the parking lot that ran all night long. I understand truckers wanting a comfortable place but I was close to that end of the building. Once I went to sleep, the noise of the HVAC more or less drowned it out. I called the front desk and asked if there was a bylaw against diesel trucks idling all night long. Apparently, there is not and I was told it was a regular customer so I gathered the staff were hesitant to pass my complaint along. I take it I was the only complainer. There is even a condo complex near the parking lot so I am surprised it didn’t bother them. Anyways, everybody's got to make a living.

The second June stay the room smelled heavily of kennel spray or disinfectant. I have a pet so normally I will take whatever room I am given. This was a little much but I survived. My dog doesn’t smell (I am sure you’ve heard that before!) nor does he pee inside rooms. I guess the previous pet had an accident or something. So keep us pet owners in the stinky rooms! I don’t have a huge problem with that.

I did not eat breakfast at the hotel since my dog barks stupidly once I leave the room. There are no shortage of fast food places on the way in or out of the Soo.

I score this hotel highly because they seem to get it all right in a nicely priced package. The Soo wasn’t normally a regular stop for me, but it is now given this hotel always keeps bringing me back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My husband and I have stayed here several times, and will always come back! The rooms are spotlessly clean and the beds are comfortable, with a generous amount of pillows supplied. The room comes with all the amenities you could want: coffee maker, microwave, fridge, ironing board/iron, and hair dryer. There is no bathtub, but there is a huge shower in the bathroom. The windows open, so you can enjoy some fresh air, and the location is very quiet. We have never heard any noise from adjacent rooms, the soundproofing is excellent, ensuring a good sleep.

Waterfront parks, restaurants/shopping, and Tim Horton's are close by. The free breakfast consists of tea, coffee, orange juice, cold cereals, sausage, eggs, bagels, bread, and muffins. The front desk staff are very friendly, as well as the housekeeping staff, who were very helpful in supplying us with extra towels, etc. even though we didn't need their services during our multiple day stay. Very affordable price for such a lovely motel!

Room Tip: If you have trouble handling stairs, stay on the main floor, as there is no elevator to the second f...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business