“Nice Accommodations, Price, and Location”
Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Usually when I travel, I don't spend a lot of time at the hotel so I tend to not get a great value (I can't remember the last time I swam in a hotel pool). However, this hotel was exactly what I needed. Comfortable and very clean room, pretty large, comfortable bed with nice pillows and comforter, fast/ accessible wifi, fridge, easy temperature adjustments, friendly staff who helped me find late-night food, and safe parking. Pet friendly, too. Easy and safe walking right out the door, in the park and library adjacent to the hotel, and along the boardwalk. Next to an apartment building, not on a strip with fast-food and car lots, but easy access to downtown and the boardwalk. I had the room next to the ice machine, so yes, I can see how that would be noisy -- but frankly I was tired and got a great night's rest on a very comfortable bed, so I could have my adventure seeing Canada. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms 104/106 are near the ice machine -- probably want to avoid if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Sleep Inn

Reviewed 29 August 2013

My wife and I were driving from Montreal to Fort McMurray, and this was our first stop for the night, and we would have settled for just about anything. However, this inn just proved amazing, and this is from people who stay in hotels quite a bit. We were on the ground floor as we had booked ahead, and so everything was within reach. Continental breakfast was free, but as in almost everywhere in North America, was nothing to write home about. If like me, you like strong coffee, then bring your own coffee as the one provided is worse than the old McDonald's coffee. Strongly recommended overall.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Eric N
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The room is clean. Breakfast is ok and don't expect are lots. The surrounding of the hotel is iffy. When we stayed there on August, the back door which you enter the hotel had no lock. Which mean anyone from outside could get into the hotel inside. If you only go up to Sault Ste. Marie, Canada to take the Agawa Canyon train ride, that won't be a bad hotel to stay in since it was very reasonable price. This hotel has no swimming pool which is not good if you travel with kid.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I found nothing to complain about here. We blew in (literally - Sault St Marie had amazing rain and street flooding) on July 26th. The power was out at the hotel and many other areas of the city when we arrived. Never the less the young lady at the desk checked us in, gave us a flashlight and escorted us down to our room. Power was restored about an hour later.

We were on a road trip and didn't utilize all of the amenities but I will say the hotel was clean, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was adequate. We've had better but paid perhaps $20 to $30 more for a room. Regarding price, the Sleep Inn was also the most reasonably priced property we stayed in while in Canada. I'm not implying that the Sleep Inn was under priced, rather. it seems to me that other hotels we stayed at in Canada were expensive. I'm not sure why, it didn't bother me when the exchange rate was $1.30 : $1.00 years ago but today with the exchange rate so close you'd think that hotel prices in Canada would generally be closer to US pricing.

One last thing, I added an extra star for location. The Sleep Inn is a short stroll from the Sault St. Marie waterfront park. This is a beautiful area right on the St. Marys river. It's a wonderful place to stretch your legs, have a picnic or walk the dog. A longer walk or a short drive on Bay St. takes you to the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Center an interesting place to visit if you have the time and an interest in aviation.

So we have a nice place to stay that's right on top of a couple of great attractions. Stay there!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2013

It was excellent! From the friendly service at the front desk, to our room (we booked a king size bed and it was so comfortable) to the breakfast. Very modern rooms usually only found in Europe, with a large shower, pocket door to the toilet and shower area, and the sink is outside of that room. Very convenient! It was also a very large room! Can't say enough about this place, other than we would always stay here when we are in the Soo!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Price was excellent, staff was very helpful, but we found the hotel quite noisy. Heard a lot of hall noise and noise from other guests coming to the ice machine which was near our room. Breakfast not that great. Is about a mile from the Agawa Canyon train so you will probably want to drive to the train station.

Room Tip: Ask to be located away from the ice machine and away from supply rooms for the staff.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RMD06
Joe D, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thank you for your review. We do offer a very competitive price and our staff are very knowledgeable and helpful. We offer a free hot breakfast every day from 6 to 10am. As well as your standard continental items our breakfast also includes egg, sausages, and toast. I’m sorry you had issues with people walking through the hallway. We have someone at the front desk 24 hours a day and if there are any problems we encourage our guests to contact the front desk.
Joe Dore

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Staff was lovely, clean rooms. Great price!!! Beauiful location.Very happy with this stay, will stay again in the future! Breakfest was great too. Very friendly house keepers too. We ordered in, and had enoug room to eat. Room was very modern and clean!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family