“A very nice surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Memphis, Tennessee
“A very nice surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I am so impressed with this hotel overall... I had low expectations when I made the reservations on choice.com and I was positively surprised.

The lobby shows that the hotel was recently built or upgraded. This is a "value hotel", so I am evaluating it in its category (not comparing with luxurious hotels, but with comparable hotels).

Too bad there is no elevator but the parking is safe. The room is quiet (the bathroom fan was a little noisy but of course you are the one to turn it on or off) and clean. There are only 2 sets of towels in the bathroom (and not high quality but they are clean).

The breakfast place is small but does the job. I read a review criticizing the breakfast, so again I had low expectations. It is basic but correct. The coffee tastes good, there are 2 choices of cereal, a few choices of bread, small muffins, orange juice, milk, and 3 hot choices kept in a hot plate: eggs, sausage, (and there is a 3rd choice but I cannot remember). Let me put it like this: it is not the most memorable breakfast you will find in a hotel, but it is what I would expect for that type of hotel.

The staff is definitely the best of the hotel. From the front counter staff to the general manager and the cleaning staff, they were great. Probably one of the best hotel staff (in that category) of all the (same category) hotels I have stayed. Really good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Waukesha, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

This hotel was sorta in the middle. The room was clean and nice. The only thing don't get rooms 201 to 206 . The stairs are right there. The rooms you can hear every door slam and people coming up the stairs.
Breakfast was just O.K.
Staff were all pretty nice and friendly to us.
Plenty of parking space. We did like it was close to things we wanted to go to in this area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed 2 nights and had a terrible first night. There was a couple drunk and fighting outside our door. We called the front desk and they sent someone to talk to them. The couple left for awhile and returned again, still arguing. I called the front again, they came and threatened to call the cops. I was not impressed and a little scared for my safety. I wanted to leave but my husband wanted to stay, it was late and where would we go!!! I reluctantly stayed the next night. Upon checkout, I asked for a discount and was told I had to speak to the manager who was not working that day. I took his number and left several messages but got no call returned. Not very good customer service. The hotel staff were great, the manager not so great!!!! Breakfast not so great as well!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Joe D, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Dianne,

As General Manager of Sleep Inn Sault Ste. Marie I appreciate the time and effort guests take to make comments on TripAdvisor. I take these comments very seriously and use them to gauge our current practices and make immediate improvements when necessary.

Because I make every effort to return all calls within a reasonable amount of time your review prompted me to look at your comments and profile with extra scrutiny. I question your credibility as it was submitted in November of 2013 for a stay that you say took place in December of 2012. Your statement that I did not return your several phone calls is not true because I return all phone calls. Do you have the correct hotel?

Please give me a call at 705 253 7533 or email me at joe@sleepinn.on.ca and I will be pleased to speak with you regarding your comments.

Joe Dore
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Great value for your money I was a little disappointed in the continental breakfast not much choice really enjoyed having yogurt. with very happy with the location near the waterfront walking distance to the bush plane museum.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Marathon, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We had a great experience at the Sleep Inn in Sault Ste. Marie. We stayed there on Sunday and then returned and stayed Wednesday and Thursday. It is immaculately clean and well kept and the rooms were wonderful. The place was quiet and the beds very comfortable so we had an excellent sleep. We were able to stay there with our little dog and it was great to be able to walk the boardwalk not far away and watch the boats go through the locks. The staff were friendly and helpful from the front desk staff to the cleaning staff. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Barrie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

We were so impressed when we went to this hotel. At first we were unsure to book it since it was one of the cheapest hotels, but it was great. Everything is so modern and very clean. The staff were really friendly. The only downsides of this hotel that I found is that the TV skipped (at least in our room) and the fridge didn't work very well. Also, everything at the breakfast was microwaved (eggs, sausages, french toast). However, we were really only there for the sleep, so a not so great breakfast was better than none. I definitely recommend this hotel for a comfortable sleep.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were very pleased with our stay at the Sleep Inn and would absolutely return. The rooms, hallways and even stairwells were immaculately clean and tidy. The shower stall in our rom was obviously recently replaced and was spacious. The location is ideal as you can easily walk the wonderful boardwalk along the canal or jog/bike/walk the 20 km trail (Hub trail) right next door. We took a short walk and had a choice of several restaurants.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple