“Very clean”

Holiday Inn Express - Sault Ste. Marie
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have stayed here twice while travelling on business. It is a very clean, newly renovated hotel, with friendly staff. The pool, hot tub, and gym are also very clean and we'll maintained. The location is ideal, being across the road from the mall, sporting complex, and casino. It is within walking distance of several nice restaurants.

The only small improvement I would ask is for more fresh fruit to be offered at the breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jlc499263
Dave C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sault Ste. Marie, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for your kind review and we will be adding healthy choices to our Express Start Breakfast

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Formerly an elderly Days Inn, his hotel underwent the most thorough type of renovation possible -- it was completely closed, cleaned down to the bare shell, and rebuilt from scratch. The one remaining sign of it being an older building is that my ground floor room was a bit small and up a few steps from the lobby -- although a ramp is also provided.

Otherwise, everything is neat, clean, stylish and very comfortable. The room included a large desk, ample storage in drawers, a fridge and a microwave as well as a coffeemaker. The bathroom too is completely new with a beautiful large-area shower stall in place of a bathtub. The breakfast room is definitely big enough for the size of the hotel (a weak link at some other Holiday Inn Express locations). Breakfast offerings are standard for the chain, as is free coffee and tea available 24-7 in the breakfast room.

Front desk service was friendly and helpful at all times. Wake-up calls happened exactly as scheduled. In my 5-night stay, housekeeping kept the room immaculate every day. There's a beautiful new pool and hot tub area, but the pool water was a bit too cold for my comfort, otherwise I'd have spent more time in it! I was pleased to see that security was on hand to control the parking area on the night when a hockey game was in progress at the Essar Centre arena next door.

Location: directly across the street from the Station Mall, and a 5-minute walk from the waterfront boardwalk. It's only a 3-4 minute walk to the Agawa Canyon Tour Train station. Good selection of excellent restaurants all close by as well. This hotel provides one of the best hospitality experiences in Sault Ste. Marie!

Room Tip: Any room should be good as sound-proofing is first-rate.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Kenny0654
Dave C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sault Ste. Marie, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your kind comments. The comfort of our guests is our priority and we look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Our room was beautiful! The pool was wonderful. I had taken my grand kids for a swim two days in a row they had so much fun. Our room was set up so we had privacy while travelling with one of our children. She had the pull out sofa with her own tv she was so excited. The little kitchenette worked out beautifully as well. Everything was clean and tidy! This is the second year in a row we spent Christmas Day and Boxing Day ...we were so pleased with our room and facilities that we stayed an extra night!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gina H
Dave C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sault Ste. Marie, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

We are so happy that both you and your family enjoyed your stay at our hotel during the holidays and we look forward to having you as our guests again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Staff was very welcoming on arrival. Our room was a good size and recently updated from renovations. The bed was comfortable with soft linens, and the bathroom was large and clean.
The pool and fitness areas were new and amongst the best we had seen on a cross Canada trip. The breakfast area (also recently updated) was large, and the buffet was well stocked with hot and cold options. They also had free newspapers in the lobby, which is always appreciated. This was worth the drive off the highway, especially with the mall across the street to provide any travellers needs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

We try to make our hotel your home away from home. Your comments are appriciated and will be shared with all the staff. Thank you

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I selected this hotel based on previous reviews and its location to very near to the expressway. The staff is very friendly. My main goal was to take fall pictures and the attendant at the reception gave me detailed description of good vantage points not in in Soo but around the city also. the staff is very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Do remember to savor their selection of free cookies in the evening.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your review our Express Breakfast is coming out with new healthy choices. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for 3 nights for a business trip. After checking in, I called home and left a message for my wife telling her my room number. I then left for dinner. When I returned from dinner, I called home only to learn that my wife had tried 7 times to reach me. The first 4 times my wife called the hotel, the instuctions provided on the phone system was not clear, so she selected "0" to reach the operator. However, every time the call reached the front desk, the call was disconnected! She thought there was a problem with the hotel phones, so she tried again. The fifth time the call did get connected to the front desk and was answered by Julien who rudely responded, "Next time just punch in the room number" and without saying another word, transferred the call to my room. However, the call got rerouted back to the front desk because the answering machine wasn't activated by the front desk. Once the call got connected back to the front desk, it got disconnected again, or should I say, hung up by Julien (front desk). My wife quickly realized that the phone was working just fine. It was the front desk (Julien) who was the problem. Julien kept on hanging up the phone after it got connected to the front desk - two more times for a total of 7 phone calls. In the morning I spoke to the front desk manager who ensured my that the General Manager will get back to me. My wife also left a voice message for the General Manager. When I checked out (4 days later) both my wife and I did not hear back from the General Manager. Julien (front desk), the front desk manager and the General Manager obviously couldn't care about their guests. There is no accountability from anybody. I am quite surprised the hotel is still operating even with the lack of service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank tomy695
HotelsKingston, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sault Ste. Marie, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

On behalf of everyone here at the Holiday Inn Express Sault Ste Marie, we would like to apologize to you and your wife for this frustration and confusion. When an outside telephone call is received for one of our guests our front desk staff transfer the call to the guest’s room. If there is no answer, the call goes to the guestroom voicemail, or if voicemail is not available, it bounces back to the front desk. We will be sure to review all of our telephone policies and procedures with all of our front desk staff in order to avoid this type of mix up in the future. We would like to assure you that the intentional disconnection of a phone call is not acceptable behaviour and would not be tolerated at our hotel. Our General Manager has been making every effort to get in touch with you but has had a hard time obtaining your contact information. We would like to invite you to contact the general manager any time at 705-759-8200 ext. 2 to further discuss this matter.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We chose the HIExpress because they offered a great seniors' rate and we pretty much knew what to expect. This one however was very upscale, interesting-looking, and either new or renovated. The room was spacious and lovely and the bathroom very modern. Although we were by the elevators, it was very quiet. Parking was convenient. Our problem was with finding it: I assumed it would be on the outskirts or main highway but it was right downtown. Not hard to find once YOU KNOW where to look! We walked out in the evening and got some good pizza and gelato within the block. Breakfast was provided in the morning with the usual HI fare - eggs and make-your-own-pancakes, cereals, breads, yogurt, etc. All very nice. A good stay, would happily return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DLCAlberta

Thank you for your review, we do have several very good restraurants within walking distance to the hotel and being located so close to the waterfront is always nice.