“great affordable place to stay”

The Algonquin Hotel
Toronto, Canada
“great affordable place to stay”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Recently stayed here enroute to vancouver. Rates were great. Staff was helpful and the live music venue downstairs was a great place to enjoy some local talent while having a nightcap. Thanks for a great start to our travel westward

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mike s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
holland, mi
Reviewed 10 October 2012

we were there for a two night stay for the algoma train trip to the agawa canyon. october 7-8. this was booked through booking.com. it was very difficult to find due construction.(not their fault) once there we paid in advance for the two nights (138 $ CN + 5 $ key deposit) the building was, according to the desk guy, built in 1833. believe it! it was more like a dorm. we had to walk up ricerty stairs to the room. no phone, no thermostat, one quilt/blanket, old tv,.i asked for coffee and he charged me
1 $ for 2 tiny styroform cups. slept ok. left at 630 am got back at 600 pm. at 800 pm the proverbial crap hit the fan. the most god-awful noise from an electric guitar and assorted other string instruments assailed us from all sides. wife went to check it out. seems there is going to be a "band" there tonight from 11 - 1. saints preserve us, this was going to be awful. and it was!!! and that was just there warm-up. at 1030 pm a security guy knocked on the door and said that we would be given 1/2 a nights rate refunded. it wasn't enough! finally morning came, checked out, got the key 5 $ back and 33.33 $ refunded. it was a forgetible experience.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank haggis54
United States
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This "hotel" is a glorified hostel, and a poor one at that. The outside and lobby are the only updated areas. The manager on duty was unwelcoming and even rude at times. One issue I had was that the wifi was not working when I arrived. The manager said "I gave 3 other people the password and they didn't complain." As I was walking away, another customer came up to her and said the wifi wasn't working. I inquired again later, but it was never fixed. I was only here for 1 night and needed to do some work online, the main reason I wanted to spent a night in a hotel. My room was directly above the deck of one of the two(!) bars in this "hotel". Since there was no A/C in my room and it was stuffy, I had to have the windows open on this summer night. The outdoor bar deck music was blaring directly into my windows. I found empty soda bottles from the previous resident next to my bed. There was only one electric outlet and it was in an inconvenient place. The furnishings were dumpy, as expected, and the room was awkwardly chopped up, as though it used to be 2 rooms. The bathroom and shower curtain were a little moldy and thankfully I have no mobility issues as there was a only a very narrow space to enter the shower between the shower and the wall. I'm 41 years old and this is the worst place I have ever stayed, in all aspects, and I've traveled all over Thailand even.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Room was well presented. Price was quite reasonable. Front desk staff was amicable and efficient, we had no reservations , we got a very good rate .They even help us with our car, there was a terrible snow storm , our car had problems getting started the guys in the staff fixed, we also got hot chocolatte and cookies,Nice people in Sault Ste Marie we will be back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I had the opertunity to staying at the Algonquin Hotel in Sault Ste Marie.. and will come back next time i am in the Sault.. the price was afordable..Vary clean rooms.The staff was friendly and helpfull..The owners are fantastic people!!.I allso had the pleasure of going to the Rock Star bar located in the hotel and enjoying a live band..
Wonderfull place to stay in the Sault..

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank filly2267
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Despite the fact there was no TV in the room I thought the old style furnishings were good-there was a large bath tub in the bathroom just like in an old western movie. A shared bathroom is what you get at this Hotel....which is not all that hard to cope with. I had a nice large room which was OK for a few days. I recommend it for travellers looking for something just a little different. Mostly quiet but there was a loud metal band playing next door at one point which was a bit of a drag.... especially since they didn't play very well.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank footloose888
Sparta, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 August 2011

If you like old buildings, this is the place to stay. The building is old and charming, has much character. The staff was fantastic. Very friendly and helpful. Our room had one queen bed and two couches, was a suite for a great price. The hotel only has air in some of its rooms, ours had air, and we loved the room.The location is great as well, within walking distance to many of the things to see in the Sault.The food in the pub was also very good, and the bartender was friendly. This was a great place to stay and the value was exceptional, We plan to return again when we come back on our next trip

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends