“Terribly Dirty! Spiders crawling everywhere, even crawled ON THE BED!”

The Algonquin Hotel
Camrose, Canada
“Terribly Dirty! Spiders crawling everywhere, even crawled ON THE BED!”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We are a married couple travelling from NL to AB and in the middle of our road trip, we decided to stop by Sault Ste Marie as we find the place really nice. We were travelling with a car filled with stuff as we are moving to another province for good.

Pros:
It's cheap
Good Location

Cons:
Entrance was hard to find. It was really small.
Seems pretty odd but I was the only one parked in their parking area Although there were a lot of people I can see when I pass by the hallway and every room seems occupied (can hear their TV on). I was paranoid somebody might break the windows and take our things so I had to glance every hour outside and make sure nothing suspicious was happening.
The hallway stunk and was made up of worn out stained, uncleaned carpet. Must've been there for a century.
The bathroom stunk. Towels were not cleaned and had dust in them.
Furniture were dusty and so as the TV.
Cobwebs and spiders on the outside of the window. Well... that's what I thought..
SPIDERS ALSO LIVED INSIDE EVEN GOT ONE IN OUR BED.

Conclusion:
I would not recommend this hotel. Unless you are desperately looking for a cheap place to stay or you like sleeping with spiders.

Room Tip: If you brought a car, stay at the farthest end of the building where you can see it. Who knows what...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kikHoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Hotel is walking distance from tour train ,museums and mall ,staff was friendly ,room was clean ,WiFi and a very nice Patio .Good value for my money.I travel a lot in Europe and this hotel met my expectations .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Maggie S
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2013

It feels like we are staying in a Rehab Centre. We are the only guests with a car and all the other people, whom we see going out to smoke (they are smoking) behind the dumpster look like life has kicked the stuffing out of them. The rooms are not cleaned on a daily basis. There is no air conditioning. The guy at the desk has halitosis so bad that it would knock the proverbial buzzard off of the [--] wagon. At $59.00 plus tax, it is the cheapest digs in the "Soo", but you feel you must keep checking out the window to be sure your car is still there. In fact 'death breath' touted the fact that we could watch our car as one of the benefits of our room. If you have the $, and do not enjoy the atmosphere of a detox centre stay well away. Really!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank travellingcat13
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Hi,
My mom and I planned a 3 day trip to Sault for a wedding May 2013. I read an extensive amount of reviews for this hotel and some were positive some negative. Most negative comments concentrated on the Bar downstairs with live music, the carpets, and bathrooms. I called and spoke to a few staff which informed us that many renovations were done since some of the reviews, so we decided to try it out for ourselves and don’t regret our decision! We were extremely pleased with this hotel.

Price- excellent, excellent for being in the core of downtown! Any other hotels Delta, Inn, are much more expensive and they’re all 10-15 min walk from one another...

Room- are room was on the 3rd floor, it was clean, the bathroom was clean- no complaints. We had a bathroom in our room, there are also shared bathrooms for a lower price, but I can't comment since we didn't use them or see them. Although there is no AC, we were able to open the window and get the fresh air. Also on the 3rd floor there’s a computer with internet and a phone available to call within the Sault area code. As for the bar downstairs it’s really great! The live music is entertaining and draws quite the crowd for a fun night. If you are in the room and your windows are open you will hear people and music from downstairs since there’s a patio. We left around midnight and were able to fall asleep just fine with the windows closed. Yes the rooms area a bit small, it’s not a fancy shmancy hotel but for the price its clean and well kept, so unless you’re planning to spend all your times inside the hotel room, I don’t see you having any issues.

Location- my mom and I did a lot of walking and this is the best location in all directions (the BushPlane museum is just a 2 min walk, so are many heritage landmarks. From BushPlane there’s a bike path that extends to the Bellevue Park or in the opposite direction extends to the waterfront view. We loved the location of the hotel because we were able to walk everywhere and not spend a dime on a taxi within the downtown. From the Algonquin Hotel the main street is Queen St East; that’s where many of the trendy stores, restaurants & clubs are located and this is all down a straight path form the hotel- only 5-10 min walk. The main mall is 15 min walk.

We really encourage you to stay at this hotel for the price and location it’s one of the best combinations in our opinion.
D& H.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are good.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dee K
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Me and my boyfriend travelled through the sault and stayed at this hotel for a night. The price for the room was very reasonable. There is also a bar and patio located in the hotel, which we enjoyed very much. The staff and owner's were super friendly and very helpful as we were not from around here. There was wifi which was good. A very clean & quiet place to rest your head. The rooms are very clean, no bugs. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone. I will be returning, no doubt about it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Miranda C
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Ive rented a room in this hotel for a couple days. The staff is super friendly. The rooms are really affordable. They've recently renovated/updated the 2nd floor bathrooms with full shower's, toilets, and sinks and are in immaculate shape.The hotel definately met the expections. The hotel is in a prime location close to the shopping mall, and restaurants. I'll definately will be staying at this hotel when im travelling through the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Amy G
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2012

This hotel met expectations, but did not exceed them. There wasn't, for example, soap in the bathroom. However, the friendly staff made up for it. The furniture is old, but cute. No bugs. A good place to rest your head. Beware, though. Apparently, there is live music under the hotel a few nights a week, and it is a little bit noisy.
For the price, we didn't complain.
However, if you are worried that loud music all night might upset you, call ahead, and make sure that you are coming on a non-musical night.
The staff was friendly. They told me that they occasionally take in homeless people for free in the winter. I think that's great, and amazing, but if that is the type of thing that sketches you out, pay a little bit more, and stay somewhere else.

All in all, it was great for the value, but don't expect a 4-star hotel. If you expect a 4-star hotel, stay at one. For the price, it was exactly what I expected. I would return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple