“Further to comments I previously made” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Sault Ste Marie ON

Howard Johnson Inn Sault Ste Marie ON
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Sudbury, Canada
“Further to comments I previously made”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

After writing a negative review following my stay, I had an email from the owner advising me he would be reimbursing me 50% and he hoped I'd give this hotel another try. He stated he'd be sending me a cheque as he did not have my credit card info..I emailed him my address but also commented I found it interesting they didn't have my credit card info when at check in the clerk asked for my card for "incidentals"...a month has passed and I've received nothing...yep, can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed February 2014
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Elliot Lake, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Read some of the on line reviews, and was wondering what I got myself into. Though the hotel is old. The place was clean, and the beds very comfortable, and the price was right.. Have no complaints, for the price.

Room Tip: No restuarant, it closed along time ago, but they still advertise free breakfast, I think someone sh...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I'm writing this review after staying in this hotel for only a couple of hours. There was a snow storm on Highway 17 and I just happened to be on a greyhound trip from Sudbury to Thunder Bay and a part of Highway 17 (Trans Canada Highway) was closed near Wawa, Ontario.

Greyhound decided to put all of us in room in pairs of 2 or more for free. I was places in a double queen room or something of that sort.

The heat did not work and the small portable heater that they supplied us with would only work when plugged in and laying on it's side. The electrical outlet by the tv didn't work. The mattress was very firm and the blanket was inadequate. My roommate also found it very cold and there was a bucket under the sink where a pipe was leaking water

I went to the front desk to complain how cold it was and noticed other people complaining about the heat being too low and they had to be brought a portable heater. Another girl complained that their was no shower curtain and various other issues

The receptionist came into our room and notices that we didn't even have a thermostat to control the temperature and noted how there is a 'little' heat coming from the vents. The important word here is 'little'. He checked our portable heater (why does a hotel room need a portable walmart brand heater to be in a room is beyond me. Shows that heat is a constant recurring problem in this room) and the clerk promised to try and find another one. He never returned. I eventually gave up on trying to sleep and walked to McDonald's for food

I haven't seen the other rooms so I can't comment on their cleanliness but I was unable to sleep because of the mattress being very uncomfortable and the fact that it was ridiculously cold. I just want to note I was wearing 'under armour' and insulated jeans and an insulated hoodie because I was heading to work and I still found it really cold in the room. I can only wonder how cold the guy beside me felt.

I wouldn't normally complain about something given to me for free but this experience was horrible

Only plus side is there is a eatery near by with decent reviews at trip advisor

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jamadei
Leduc, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I arrived late, cold and very happy to find a room. Sammy at the front desk was very nice and accommodating. Comfortable room and right price. Microwave would have been a nice touch. So happy they could accommodate my two dogs as I was travelling across Canada to Alberta from Ontario.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family