“Great service!”

Howard Johnson Inn Sault Ste Marie ON
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Excellent customer service!!! :) As soon as I arrived to the hotel it was clean and the staff was very welcoming and helpful. The rooms were clean and affordable. I would highly recommend this place!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank leslie M
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn Sault Ste Marie ON

Reviewed 15 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The hotel as a whole is run down and unkept, the greyhound station attached to hotel had very sketchy people hanging out in the parking lot. Found out out toilet didn't work at 10pm and had to take the kids out of bed and move rooms...the second room had dirty carpet and could not easily access the room from out side. We were told we could drive around and park outside of the room but the out side door had not been shovelled and had formed an "ice bank" outside the door. Would not recommend to anybody...didn't even feel safe leaving out vehicle out in the parking lot!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 20 March 2014

After writing a negative review following my stay, I had an email from the owner advising me he would be reimbursing me 50% and he hoped I'd give this hotel another try. He stated he'd be sending me a cheque as he did not have my credit card info..I emailed him my address but also commented I found it interesting they didn't have my credit card info when at check in the clerk asked for my card for "incidentals"...a month has passed and I've received nothing...yep, can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Read some of the on line reviews, and was wondering what I got myself into. Though the hotel is old. The place was clean, and the beds very comfortable, and the price was right.. Have no complaints, for the price.

Room Tip: No restuarant, it closed along time ago, but they still advertise free breakfast, I think someone sh...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I'm writing this review after staying in this hotel for only a couple of hours. There was a snow storm on Highway 17 and I just happened to be on a greyhound trip from Sudbury to Thunder Bay and a part of Highway 17 (Trans Canada Highway) was closed near Wawa, Ontario.

Greyhound decided to put all of us in room in pairs of 2 or more for free. I was places in a double queen room or something of that sort.

The heat did not work and the small portable heater that they supplied us with would only work when plugged in and laying on it's side. The electrical outlet by the tv didn't work. The mattress was very firm and the blanket was inadequate. My roommate also found it very cold and there was a bucket under the sink where a pipe was leaking water

I went to the front desk to complain how cold it was and noticed other people complaining about the heat being too low and they had to be brought a portable heater. Another girl complained that their was no shower curtain and various other issues

The receptionist came into our room and notices that we didn't even have a thermostat to control the temperature and noted how there is a 'little' heat coming from the vents. The important word here is 'little'. He checked our portable heater (why does a hotel room need a portable walmart brand heater to be in a room is beyond me. Shows that heat is a constant recurring problem in this room) and the clerk promised to try and find another one. He never returned. I eventually gave up on trying to sleep and walked to McDonald's for food

I haven't seen the other rooms so I can't comment on their cleanliness but I was unable to sleep because of the mattress being very uncomfortable and the fact that it was ridiculously cold. I just want to note I was wearing 'under armour' and insulated jeans and an insulated hoodie because I was heading to work and I still found it really cold in the room. I can only wonder how cold the guy beside me felt.

I wouldn't normally complain about something given to me for free but this experience was horrible

Only plus side is there is a eatery near by with decent reviews at trip advisor

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo