Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Catharines Conference Centre
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in St. Catharines
Tampa, Florida
“Disappointing rooms”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Having stayed in four different hotels on our trip to Niagara, Toronto, and Canada's Wonderland, this was our least favorite and was very disappointing. The website shows picture of the lobby area which are nice and the lobby entry area is very nice. However, as you begin your walk to the rooms, you realize that this is a somewhat outdated hotel. Our room (a suite) was not very nice. Dark colors, bad lighting, not so good furniture, tiny outdated bathroom, and perhaps the worst air conditioning system we have ever experienced anywhere on our travels. I would have rated this a poor choice had the price been below $100 but our rate for a Friday night stay came out to $212.37 including tax which compels me to give this the worst rating that I have ever given a hotel to date. This hotel is a pretender given the price point!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank David8675309
Tom N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Catharines Conference Centre, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We are truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay, we have recently gone through a $10 Million renovation of all our rooms and corridors. I have brought your concerns to the ownership and we will look into the room you were given to ensure that it is up to par with our standards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

At first we were happy with the hotel and the room but things gradually went down hill. First, there were 2 flies in the room; then the mattress pad on the fold out sofa had food crumbs on it. When we called housekeeping they quickly brought a replacement, however, it turned out to be for a twin bed and the sleeper sofa was a double.
Our room was on the 2nd floor. There is a bar with a DJ and dance floor on the 6th floor. At 11 pm when we went to bed, we could hear the base from the music coming through the walls. It lasted until 2am. We complained about the noise to the front desk when we got up the next morning and they acted surprise but did not apologize or offer any discount. When we were packing up, we found packaged ear plugs in the night stand drawer so apparently we weren't the first ones to complain about the noise.

Room Tip: as far away from the nightclub as possible!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank A S
Thank you for your review. We have looked into your comments and had a coaching session with our front desk, housekeeping and the Lounge manager to ensure that all guests have a restful stay and a clean room
Woodstock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Our soccer team stayed here for a local tournament and the hotel was very accommodating. The rooms were very modern, bathrooms were clean and still new looking. We had a fridge and microwave and the beds were very comfortable. Now for the better part ... We always have an issue with where the parents hang out for drinks since the kids needed to go to bed fairly early for games the next day. We went to the terrace bar for a great night under the stars, music was current, there was a chef preparing appetizers there as well (smelled awesome). It was a great atmosphere and the kids weren't kept up. The second night the kids went bowling ($10 for 10 frames) for a reasonable price while the parents could have a few drinks right there, we didn't need to leave the property. There were lots of lanes and the bar area did not reflect how most bowling alleys appear, there's was very modern. They also offered a BBQ buffet for our entire team in a private room. They charged $18 for adults and $13 for the kids, I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised... all you can eat ribs, steak, sausage plus cold salad bar and a hot side bar as well. I'm usually quite critical of these but was shocked how tender the ribs and steak were. Overall, it was a bit pricey but worth every penny. $149 per night plus $19 tax (had to pay a $8 'Destination Facility Fee' per night ... whatever that is?).

Room Tip: I probably wouldn't want to stay immediately next to or under the terrace bar.
Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for the great review! Lounge Six has been very popular for the adults staying at our hotel! Our BBQ buffet that we offer to Teams is a real hit and we always get a great response.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were here for the SCENE music festival for a few days. The staff and facility are well run. I had incorrectly booked the wrong day, and had room requests in for my party, and the staff patiently and cheerfully worked the while thing out. My kids made a mess of the room, and the nice housekeeping staff kept it in stride (I thanked them). The rooms were fine, the kids enjoyed the pool.The coffee shop (barrista) in the lobby was welcome. Its nice to be in a place where the staff appears happy and engaged (not hating their job) and it shows in the faciltiy. I can see they do alot of large functions (many weddings at the same time in my case) and there were late night over-doers in the hallways, but it goes with the territory. BTW: when trying to find me a room, the staff was upfront about noise over the bar. I ended up in another room with a view of a lower roof.

Room Tip: not above bar
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tom N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Catharines Conference Centre, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you for pointing out that our team took care of you. They love hearing the positive feedback. Scene was a great event and i am glad you enjoyed it.
Oneonta, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I checkin in around 10:30 and they gave me a room where the sun came in the windows. The staff lied about the dining available. They just told me something to get rid of me and didn't bother to check the facts. The hotel snack bar was supposed to be open till 11 but it was closed. The dead bolt on the door of the room was inoperable. I did not feel safe. I was hungry and tired when I got there and was even more hungry and tired when I left. Definitely not worth the price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Linda V
Tom N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Catharines Conference Centre, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hello, I seen your comments and wanted to clarify that our coffee shop closes are 10pm as posted on the entrance, the dining option that were given to you were for the restaurant next door to our hotel and they are supposed to provide the service that you are looking for, however we are not affiliated with them and I cant comment on their business practices. All of our rooms are equipped with black out shades and California shutters which when used together provide a total black out. We looked at the door lock and it was working as it should be.
St. John's, Newfoundland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for six nights when in St. Catharines for a conference. The room was comfortable enough; the bathroom was fine but could have been a shade larger. I had no complaints except that my last night (a Friday night) I was kept awake until 1AM by noise from a Sports Bar two floors above my room. I was more fortunate than friends I had who were on the same floor of the bar -- the noise from them was more problematic. It would appear that one should avoid rooms on the 6th - 8th floor (at least) on the right side of the building (facing the building from the street).

I was further disappointed to find that my six night stay did not qualify for credit on my PriorityClubRewards account (Gold Elite) -- perhaps because I had a conference rate. Rather than the experience further encouraging me to stay at Holiday Inns, I am instead encouraged to stay at other properties where I have gold or platinum status. It makes no sense to not give credit for a revenue stay when they credit nights for award (nonrevenue) stays. The company had a promotion to stay at their hotels -- promotions have an opposite effect when the benefits promised are not given. I don't know if withholding credit was the hotel's decision or a corporate decision.

Bottom line: given the limited choice of hotels in St. Catharines one may wish to stay at the Holiday Inn, however be sure to avoid the area around or below the Sports Bar on the 8th floor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RAKlein
Tom N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Catharines Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us, I am sorry that the noise from the lounge kept you up on the Friday night. I will review with our Food and Beverage team on how to minimize the noise. The IHG Rewards points for your stay does not qualify for points because of the discount with he conference. This is an IHG decision not a hotel level decision. However I would like to reward you personally for your stay. You can send me an email at tom.nitso@honhotels.com and I will take care of you.
Bangor, Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I had phoned ahead by several days to give the front desk my Platinum Elite IHG number to be put on my reservation, which they kindly did. I asked for a room on the upper floor on a quieter side of the hotel which they made notation of all of this.

Upon arrival, I was welcomed as a Platinum Elite customer of IHG at the front desk. I then asked if I would receive an upgrade, since upgrades are automatic for Platinum Elite members at IHG hotels if they have the availability. The person at the front desk told me that there would be an upcharge for an upgrade, which surprised me in light of the IHG policy for Platinum Elite members. I then asked if that charge would apply since I was a Latium Elite member. She said that they would see what they could do. She checked, and there were no rooms available in the next upgrade for me. OK, fine, I understood this.

I then found out that I had been put on the 2nd floor - not the 7th or 8th floor of the hotel as I had requested..............and then to top it all off, I had a room facing the noisy street - not a quieter side of the hotel as I had requested.

The room "stank" - like it had been closed up for quite a while and was kind of musty and possibly had been smoked in - even though it was a non smoking hotel.

I had asked previously if the windows opened, and was told that they did not open. So, by the time I had my luggage up in the room, I decided I would live with it.

The first night there was pretty poor - due to the order in the room and the stuffiness.

The next day, I had a chat with two other guests in the hotel. One told me that his room smelled so musty that he phoned the front desk and they sent someone from housekeeping to spray something to freshen it up which ended up being a lengthy process. The second guest told me that her room smelled like "smelly feet". She had found vents that open up under the windows to allow some air in the room.

I opened the vents and it made a big difference in my room. Why when I asked if the windows opened, I was not told by the hotel staff about the vents, I don't know.

After that my stay there was ok.

My previous stays in this hotel had been nice...........so it appears things are going "down hill" with this IGH Property.

So, if you are a Platinum Elite member, don't expect to be treated like one at this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Traveler06232009
Hello, I would like to apologize about the confusion with your room and the upgrade. Our windows don't open but yes there is a vent at the bottom that can let fresh air into the room. I will have a discussion with our housekeeping department about the smells your encountered. We take your feedback seriously and will Make some changes to better our hotel and intern to better your experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Catharines
Days Inn St. Catharines Niagara
Days Inn St. Catharines Niagara
#5 of 7 in St. Catharines
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#8 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,212 reviews
Four Points by Sheraton St. Catharines Niagara Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Catharines Conference Centre? Share your experiences!