“Food is good, but not as good as it used to be!”
Review of Antipastos

Antipastos
Ranked #57 of 442 Restaurants in St. Catharines
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
“Food is good, but not as good as it used to be!”
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

I started eating at Antipasto's when they had their tiny place on Martindale! It was amazing and the personalized service was welcoming.
It seems like personal service has gone wayside now that they seemed more concerned about quantity over quality.
The meatballs are amazing, and pasta sauce is flavourful.
It would be nice if the staff wasn't so miserable! They move slow and seem bothered when you ask them something.
All in all, I do like eating here... I just miss the old food quality.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Mishleigh22
AntipastosRoma, Owner at Antipastos, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Firstly, thank you for your frank feedback on our business, we here at Antipastos di Roma are always looking at ways to improve our customers experience and such comments allow us to focus on the issues that you as consumers really care about.

As you have been such a loyal customer for so long we are sure you can appreciate just how far we have come since our days at the Martindale location. We have worked hard to provide our customers with a lot more variety and greater food selection, as well as offering a lot of services not possible at the Martindale location due to restricted space. These of course include the function hall and the store full of imported items, as well as the award-winning deli at our Hannover Drive location. However, despite this tremendous growth we still know the importance of customer satisfaction and strive every day to ensure our customers leave our store having had a positive experience. The growth in our business has unfortunately meant that we cannot always be as interactive with our customers as we once were, we recognize that most people only have a limited time for their lunches for example, and we endeavor to serve and have them on their way as quickly as possible. This is no excuse for our staff not being completely professional and/or helpful and you can rest assured we will be looking closer into our staff's attitude and demeanor. We rely on our customer's satisfaction for our business and have been proud to build our business through 'word of mouth' advertising and we recognize that our staff are a direct reflection of our business on you the consumer.

As we continue to grow and improve our practices we will certainly ensure that our customer interaction does not suffer. We are currently reviewing our procedures for every department and will be implementing more training and monitoring of our staff for the best customer service possible.

On your subsequent visits to our facilities we are confident you will see not only the major improvements we have recently made on the hot table, which should address your concerns about our food quality, but also that our customer service has improved.

As always, if you have any further concerns about any aspect of your experience at Antipastos di Roma please feel free to speak to one of our personnel employees either in person, by email or by telephone and we will do our best to address any issues you have. In the meantime, we look forward to seeing and serving you again at our Hannover Drive location.

Niagara Falls, Canada
“Never Again”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Used Antipastos for the first time for a catering event, and they were over 30min late so I wasn't impressed right from the start. But I thought I would give them another try as I did hear some good things about them.
So I ordered some food to bring over to dinner we were having with friends one weekend. I placed my order hours ahead of time and of course it wasn't ready when I went to picked it up The first thing I noticed was that there were a bunch of teenaged kids working there, that were very unprofessional and was more interested in horsing around then attending to the customers. I had to wait over 20 min while I watched them take the food from their "hot bar", place it in Styrofoam containers and warm in up in their microwave for 5 min, so that tuned me off right away...I thought I was getting fresh food and they were "nuking" it, gross.
Once I got back and went to eat, a few were complaining that the food wasn't hot, not even really warm, so I ended up having to warm it up for a second time. My son who absolutely loves pasta, took 2 bites and wouldn't eat the rest and told me it didn't taste good. My husband told me it was awful and to please never pick that up again, and everyone else just said it was "ok" as I felt they didn't want to hurt my feelings and be honest...no-one had seconds, I must say I was a little embarrassed that I brought this to our dinner.
Being Italian myself I guess my standards are a little higher as I know what good home-cooked Italian food should taste like..and this was definitely not it! I will never use Antipastos again.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Lvstodine77
AntipastosRoma, Owner at Antipastos, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Antipastos di Roma takes great pride in our authentic Italian food and it saddens us that you had such a bad experience twice! We have to assume from your review that when you had our food for your catered event that you found the quality to be up to your standards just by the fact that you chose to order from us again for your dinner party. We do apologize for the food you ordered not being at your function on time, we always endeavor to have our food at our functions promptly and if not, to investigate fully as to why this was not possible. Not having the exact details of the function it is hard for us to comment on why we were late on this occasion. Our business has been built and grown almost entirely on 'word of mouth' advertising, therefore, our customer satisfaction is extremely important to us and we always appreciate any feedback from our consumers, whether good or bad, so we can be sure we are providing the highest customer service we can.

If we may comment on your hot table experience now, firstly we see that you reviewed us back in June and feel we should point out that we have made many major changes on the hot table since then. Addressing your first point, it is highly unusual for food ordered ahead of time not to be ready for pick up at the time ordered, we can just assume from the wait time you experienced that you were at our store during one of our 'peak' periods; this is absolutely no excuse for your delay or the lack of good customer service you received when you were there and we have been endeavoring to provide better service at our hot table and the rest of the store over the past few months, it is an ongoing process but one which we recognize is crucial for our business to continue to thrive. We as a company believe it is important to allow teenagers to contribute to the workforce, we have found it gives them purpose, responsibility and discipline, however, we now have fewer teenagers on the hot table at any given time and we also make sure that there are always a few 'senior' staff around to supervise the younger staff we do employ so your experience of not being attended to promptly should not occur again.

Your next concern about the food being heated in Styrofoam containers from our hot table is now a redundant practice. To be honest, we were a little confused as to why, given the volume of food you appeared to be purchasing for your dinner party that you would even have had that form of packaging, as a general rule an aluminum container would have been used for bigger orders which is known to hold the heat a lot better, the Styrofoam containers are simply meant for immediate consumption or for transportation elsewhere to be heated upon arrival or as needed and generally only for individual orders . We have recently purchased and installed a new hot table and changed our procedures to ensure that anything ordered from our hot table now does not need to be heated any further if eaten immediately. Our food is made fresh in our kitchen and brought out to the hot table piping hot, the new equipment ensures the temperatures are maintained until it is sold or replaced by fresh supplies. These temperatures are monitored by our senior staff to ensure the highest quality and food safety is maintained at all times. We do recommend though that if you are driving a distance to take food home or not eating right away that you check the temperature when you come to serve the food and reheat as necessary at home, our containers are not designed to hold heat in for a long length of time.

We are aiming to provide the most authentic and high quality Italian cuisine possible and use the same recipes one of our owners Dominic's mother created years ago, we have almost exclusively Italian staff in our kitchen preparing our freshly made pasta for both our store and our catering service. We would be happy to offer you a tour of our kitchen at any time so you can see our processes at work, our Italian food is not 'store bought' here at Antipastos, we follow our traditional recipes and practices to produce the highest quality and tastiest food we can for our customers.

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your candor about your experience at Antipastos di Roma, our hope is that you may come back again and see our changes for yourself, and when you do so you will see why you had so many recommendations to use our services in the first place.
St. Catharines, Canada
“If you LIke Italian this is a favourite spot”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I visit Antipastos weekly for good Italian food I can pick up for dinner on the way home from work. I order special antipasto trays for work functions and I buy all my fresh meat from Antipastos. I love the service, the choice and the helpful hints on how to prepare certain foods. Their deserts are amazing and when entertaining I frequently top off my meal with one of Antipasto's meals. Great place to visit and if you are having a small to medium sized party, wedding reception, retirement party or birthday party - a great place to consider!

Visited May 2013
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Love Them!!”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Best store Ive seen in a while. Great Italian food.. You can shop the store while you wait for your hot food order.

• Visited April 2013
St. Catharines, Canada
“We use them for all our events”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We alway use Antipastos for all our events the food is amazing always fresh and perfect. Delivered on time driver is pleasant and always so helpful to set up for us. The guests are always impressed with our food at our partys and the portions our huge we always have more then enough and lots to give people some to take home. Everything is provided for you function butter, sauces,mustard, chilly pepper, parm cheese no worries. Even the owner showed up for a delivery and help set up for us he made some last mintute changes to our table lay out and added a extra table for our cake and desserts he aslo went back to get us extra dishes and coverings for the tables just to make it look perfect. Thank you soooo much

• Visited November 2012