“A formerly great restaurant has totally lost the plot.”

Bansaree Indian Restaurant
Ranked #227 of 438 Restaurants in St. Catharines
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Thorold, Canada
“A formerly great restaurant has totally lost the plot.”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Restaurants are an expensive, time consuming, high overhead, strictly luxury business and to survive means having the goods. Sorry to say that Bansaree has failed. What was once a shining star in the Indian restaurant pantheon around a decade ago, even approaching the excellence of Sitar in Ottawa, it has sadly slid into oblivion. We went a couple of years ago to recapture the glory of years past, and although reduced to good with definite merit, the food was much too sweet and veering off course from the traditional.
Now, two years later, and pining for a renewed taste of it's original glory, we were astounded at the poor food. Butter chicken, an aromatic, complex and subtly spiced signature dish anywhere else, was so cloyingly sweet that the raisins within actually cut the sweetness. The sauce had broken (lightly curdled), all of the expected savoury spices were absent or masked, and the chicken had a funky carbonized burnt flavour rather than the expected flavourful char of the tandoor. This was echoed in the naan, served well into the meal, which ranged from uncooked glue to infused carbon from the tandoor. My wife's chicken korma dish was still so sweet that any melange of spice and subtlety was masked; it needed salt, not sweet to bring out the flavours of the perfectly cooked meat. Service was reasonable considering the outside distractions of a car show, however the doors were open and the heat was stifling without air conditioning. Sad to say that the excellent version of Bansaree will be honoured in our memories, not in our future patronage.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Fiona K

Niagara Falls, Canada
“Excellent for Sunday Buffet - tasty, filling, reasonable price”
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I wish I could go here for the Sunday buffet every week, I've been twice so far. The naan is sweet and excellent, the Tandoori chicken is perfect, the beef is great, the pilau smells great and tastes wonderful too. This is simply a consistently excellent tasty filling Indian food buffet, cannot top it or improve it in any way.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Sal M
St. Catharines, Canada
“Never got our food”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

This was possibly the worst customer service I have ever received. I called the restaurant for take out and was given a price. When I asked what the delivery charge was, they told me delivery was free and that our meal would arrive in 45 minutes. An hour and a half later, they had called back three times - twice for directions and once to tell me that the price was actually going to be $15 more than what they originally told us. Apparently the girl on the phone forgot to calculate tax and they decided to charge $5 for delivery after all because "the weather is bad". After the fourth phone call I finally told them to forget it and that I didn't want the food if they couldn't find the house after calling three times for directions and if they were going to charge us more than they originally said. Didn't even receive an apology - the guy just said "Oh okay" and hung up. Extremely disappointing.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Avellina2
Thorold, Canada
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Every time we go there we engage in a redecoration/redesign exercize while waiting for our food. The place looks pretty bad. But the food is excellent! The tandoori chicken comes to your table sizzling. The lamb curry is tasty and tender. The onion bhajis are fresh, crispy and delicious. I don't remember ever having been disappointed by the food. So while this restaurant looks like nothing, do get past the looks and give the food a try.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Kitinefoodie
St. Catharines, Canada
“good food but owner can be a little grumpy”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

They make the best samosas around and have a wonderful and affordable vegetarian meal for two (my favorites) I do go here a few times a year but do find them to be a little grumpy and the wait can be long.

Visited September 2012