“Not as bad as the reviews below, but not as good as it once was. Let me suggest another place...”

Bansaree Indian Restaurant
Ranked #211 of 430 Restaurants in St. Catharines
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I've been coming here for about 15 years, and have eaten in the restaurant/done take-out more times than I can count.

It's definitely gone down-hill. I intially tried to place an order for take out on Fri July 25th - the phone number was out of order and there was a message to call a cell phone if you wanted service, reservations, etc. Also after seeing the reviews here on TA by chance, I thought 'maybe it's not my night' for indian food. But I did go ahead and place an order for chicken dhansak, shrimp vindaloo, a nan and some rice. The none of the food was as fresh or flavorful as it should have been or once was. The place used to be very good to excellent but now it's average with a capital 'A'. But keep in mind, it's not like St. Catharines is some cosmopolitan culinary hot spot for ethnic food. The other Indian place down the street is in the same league.

So where else can/should you go? Check out Moksha Indian Bistro in The Falls on Stanley Ave. Far superior to the two Indian places in St. Catharines which I no longer recommend.

• Visited July 2014

St. Catharines, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not a good restaurant, am going to make a complaint.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

This restaurant is not good at all. I wonder if this restaurant has a licence. The owner says he cooks best indian food. I had something which is junk food, and the worst indian I have taken so far. I think, he probably does not know how to cook good indian dishes. He lies. Secondly, I noticed, he is blessed with few good employees,.......however, I doubt how he treats them. Very good young girls/boys are doing everything there,....but I wonder how he treats them,.......he probably does not offer them any food or drinks and I wonder if he pays them properly. Probably cooks are not rightly paid,.......the guy (owner) cooks, but he does not know how to cook properly. I AM GOING TO MAKE A COMPLAINT.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Bob M
Red Deer, Canada
“Did you want roaches with that?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

The place could use an overhaul or maybe just condemn it. This is one of a couple equally bad Indian restaurants in town. Enter at your own risk. The food has been hit or miss for the last few visits but now that the protein walks to your table under its own power, I will not be back.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Sirmeus
Thorold, Canada
“A formerly great restaurant has totally lost the plot.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Restaurants are an expensive, time consuming, high overhead, strictly luxury business and to survive means having the goods. Sorry to say that Bansaree has failed. What was once a shining star in the Indian restaurant pantheon around a decade ago, even approaching the excellence of Sitar in Ottawa, it has sadly slid into oblivion. We went a couple of years ago to recapture the glory of years past, and although reduced to good with definite merit, the food was much too sweet and veering off course from the traditional.
Now, two years later, and pining for a renewed taste of it's original glory, we were astounded at the poor food. Butter chicken, an aromatic, complex and subtly spiced signature dish anywhere else, was so cloyingly sweet that the raisins within actually cut the sweetness. The sauce had broken (lightly curdled), all of the expected savoury spices were absent or masked, and the chicken had a funky carbonized burnt flavour rather than the expected flavourful char of the tandoor. This was echoed in the naan, served well into the meal, which ranged from uncooked glue to infused carbon from the tandoor. My wife's chicken korma dish was still so sweet that any melange of spice and subtlety was masked; it needed salt, not sweet to bring out the flavours of the perfectly cooked meat. Service was reasonable considering the outside distractions of a car show, however the doors were open and the heat was stifling without air conditioning. Sad to say that the excellent version of Bansaree will be honoured in our memories, not in our future patronage.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Fiona K
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Excellent for Sunday Buffet - tasty, filling, reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

I wish I could go here for the Sunday buffet every week, I've been twice so far. The naan is sweet and excellent, the Tandoori chicken is perfect, the beef is great, the pilau smells great and tastes wonderful too. This is simply a consistently excellent tasty filling Indian food buffet, cannot top it or improve it in any way.

• Visited December 2012