“Not the same "Bijou"”

Price range: US$19 - US$64
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Bijou, a culinary gem in Stratford Ontario, honours the tradition of inventive French bistro cuisine presented on a daily inspired Chalkboard Menu. Our regular menu is complimented by our after 8pm shareable Food Flights and Small Plates featuring the best ingredients of Perth County. These delectable bites are perfectly paired with small craft wineries and the best of old world classics. NOW serving lunch.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I tried to find my first review of Bijou the year it first opened. We had been a Rundle's the night before and I was surprised to see a similar dish or two on the Bijou menu. Turns out the founder of Bijou had been the sous chef at Rundle's! We have gone to Bijou every year since. While I once considered it the best restaurant in Stratford, with a change in ownership has come change in the food. Gone for me is the culinary magic that the original chef and owner possessed. I noticed the change a few years ago but have given it another chance each year since The other day I had a filet that was well cooked but the rest of the plate was disappointing. A melange of ingredients that seem to want to offer different textures but in a unmemorable "sauce". I never begrudged the pricing in the past, but I don't think Bijou's current cost structure is justified. It was the most expensive meal in Stratford this year... but not the best.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My dining partner cancelled last minute and l knew l would feel comfortable and welcomed sitting at their bar. The renovations made it better than ever!
The food made by chef Rod was second to none - wish l had room for the flourless chocolate dessert.
Marcel did an amazing job serving me while helping servers. It was great to see Mindie, Mark and Linda!
Thanks!!!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A wonderful menu with great french food. Lovely romantic interior. Service was excellent as well. Would go back there again for sure!

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Interesting cuisine, but we left full from the large portions, but not very impressed by the taste. Had a large duck confit thigh, but it was not crispy as it should be. Ditto the trout which was a bit soggy under huge a huge amount of very coarse-cut coleslaw. The trout skin should have been crisp.

Reviewed 5 June 2018

Such mushroom risotto I have never had before. A thoroughly excellent meal -- great food and wonderful service.