“Do not stay here!”

Noretta Motel
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
“Do not stay here!”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The noretta is disgusting. We stayed there for the night of my daughters jack and Jill, well we didn't end up staying there. When we entered the room it smelled of smoke and mold, there was dust and cobwebs on everything. We wiped the bathroom floor and it was black on the toilet paper. The sheets smelled musty so we left to buy our own as we weren't sure were else to stay as were not from the area, we left as we couldn't find the manager, and were unable to purchase sheets because zellers closed. We asked our daughter to talk to them in the morning about a refund as we didn't want to go back to find the manager because now we were late for the event. The next day the manager was rude to my daughter and said said that the bathroom floor is what you get in the noretta and he would have given us another room if we wanted ,however, My daughter went to the other rooms they were disgusting as well. He basically kicked her off the property for asking for a refund. I called later to re ask for a refund and explain the situation, he accused me of smoking in the room so that was why it smelled,and said we stayed there all night even though we drove back to Newcastle at midnight. Not acceptable and our family will be cancelling rooms for the next event there. No one should stay there it is disgusting and has unfriendly and rude management.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank ashleygarlick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lakeland, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 September 2010

You must book this motel via phone. I confirmed our reservation via phone twice and we encountered no problems. Do not be fooled by the motel's website. This is not a luxurious setting in any way, shape or form. Parking is available in a lot which is necessary in Stratford as you cannot park on the street at night.

The motel is located on Ontario St, just outside of the downtown core area of Stratford. My friend and I stayed in room 10, with two double beds, a window air conditioner, a fridge, and a very, VERY tiny washroom. The room was clean, the beds ok, but the pillows flat as pancakes. The shower's water pressure was suprisingly good. It was nice to have a fridge, and I think if it had been hot weather it would have been wonderful to have the A/C, but it would have blown directly on both of us while sleeping. We slept with the window open at night - mainly to keep fresh air in the room. Our stay was quiet, with no disturbances in the neighborhood, and our room was far enough away from the street to not be kept awake by traffic.

When I booked this room, it was the cheapest in town. It's definately not worth the money paid. If you're in town for the Festival a night or two, it's adequate.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank AdventureLass

Travellers are raving about these Stratford hotels

Michigan
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We spent one night at the Noretta Motel when visiting the Stratford Festival. The website is misleading. The room was very small and dingy. The bathroom was TINY! and the fixtures arranged oddly. While the room appeared clean there was a dingy, run-down appearance to everything and the pillows were absolutely flat. We did appreciate having a fridge in the room but there is no ice machine available. Although it was the least expensive lodging we've used at Stratford, I would gladly pay more rather than return to the Noretta Motel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 13bato
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Do Not Stay Here. I made a reservation for my daughter over the phone and before I confirmed I asked if I could cancel the day before as I was unsure of their plans. The answer was yes so I confirmed. As their plans had changed, I called to cancel the reservation, only to be told that I would still have to pay for the room. I was not told that I would have to pay when I first made the reservation. The staff are uncourteous, unfriendly, and would rather have the $72.00 for the services that were not provided than to have a patron leave the office with a positive opinion of the motel. While I am here, I might as well tell you of my thoughts of the place. The web site is very misleading and the pictures are too. I would not have let my daughter stay there anyway. If you need a place to stay in Stratford, please take my advice and stay somewhere else. Stratford is full of lovely low-moderate-high priced hotel/motels.

• Stayed June 2010
5 Thank bbbbbb155015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 19 October 2009

Let me start by saying that if you are only staying here for one night, maybe two, it is a fine enough stay. If you plan to stay longer, the "little" things will probably start to become more annoying and noticeable. This might also change from room to room, we were staying in room number 8.

The pros:
-Like I said, for one or two nights, the place is more than tolerable
-The bedding looks like it has been updated. The desks have probably also been updated
-We had tissues in our room (someone else said they didn't)
-Again, a very good location
-Adequate parking
-Free soaps, shampoos, good house keeping (note: they never replenished our shampoo, just our soap, no big deal though)
-Large Tube style TV with lots of channels (note: remote didn't work, again no big deal)
-Wireless, although somewhat low powered, we got 2 bars in room number 8. You have to ask for the password from the front desk.
-The room is small but comfortable, they've updated the decor I think.

The cons:
-No Bathroom fan (although the A/C unit has a fan you can use for "grey" noise and there is a window in the bathroom)
-No coffee maker (in our room at least).
-No dresser for folded clothing (there is a rack for hanging clothes up though)
-Only one waste basket (in the bathroom)
-Bathroom is a bit small as people have stated.
-Water pressure was not consistent in shower
-Temperature nobs for the shower were extremely sensistive and it could vary (without touching) from scorching hot to freezing cold.
-Okay, behind out room there is a house with a yard that has dogs. We only heard them bark once and it was at like noon so we weren't waken up by them, but this could be a big problem for some people
-The doors are somewhat sticky and they have weird nob locks instead of key cards or deadbolts, but they do have a secondary chain lock
-The mattress is not great, for one or two nights, you probably won't notice, we stayed for four and were noticing it on day three.
-No climate control for the heat (that we could see). You could control the temperature settings on the A/C though
-No continental breakfast, etc

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loves2travel86
Windsor
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Room was very small and nicely decorated, bed was comfortable and room was clean. The bad was the bathroom - Extremely small and you could hit your head on the sink when sitting on the toilet, shower stall was old and out dated. The lady was very nice at the counter but the man who I assume is her husband was very rude on the phone when dealing with my wife about checking in early which we did not do and when we showed up well after check in the room still was done but it was very clean when we got in.. Over all the room was okay for the cost but I would request one with a bigger bathroom if they have any.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Professor1599
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Last week, Ia attend the Stratford festival and decided to stay at at the Noretta. It was a bad decison. The room was small and smelly. The mattress was probably built in Shakespearian time. There is no bath only a shower stall. And I would not put my dog there. On the website it is written 70$ a night and it cost me 93$. What a letdown.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo