“A Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Canton, Michigan, United States
“A Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

My husband and I decided to take an unexpected long weekend to Stratford. We were unsure about the best place to stay. We chose the Stratford Hotel. We were delighted! This hotel is quaint, very clean, and has a very friendly staff. Our room felt like it was set back in time yet with all the modern amenities. We were impressed with how clean and beautiful it was inside and out. We look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

Me and my husband needed something special for our 20th anniversary and the Stratford Hotel delivered! We spent a couple extra bucks to get the suite and breakfast vouchers for Joe's Diner which was a good idea. The rooms, service, and the breakfast were all fabulous! The Stratford hotel small and unique, with accompanying friendly staff. When we returned to our room after going to watch a play, we found a Happy Anniversary note with a box of chocolates. It's classic elegance, not the modern stuff, which makes it special!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I was a little nervous upon arrival because I read your reviews AFTER I booked. Also, I usually book B&Bs for my group every year. However, my group was too big to fit in one B&B and too little to negotiate a discount at an inn. So I booked at this hotel, sight unseen. When I opened the door to the room, I was delighted to see soft yellow walls, a wide planked floor and a lovely bed & sitting room. It was far nicer than most B&B accomodations but with the same homey feel. Yes, the one bathroom door did not close properly, the floorboards creaked in places and one or two of the light fixtures didn't work. However, the place was very clean, cozy and the staff pleasant. There was a Kuerig coffee maker always on the ready in the lobby & the hotel was ideally situated for an easy walk to 3 of the 4 theatres in town. We stayed in May so our rates were very reasonable. Suites were only $10 more than a room so we had plenty of room to host wine & cheese get-togethers in our suites.
I think it's important to note that most "hotels" & "inns" in town are in historic buildings. Visitors shouldn't be expecting Marriott or Hilton type accomodations. This is a B&B town and people who visit should be prepared to feel as though they are guests in a home. This hotel made us feel welcome & valued. Delightful! We will absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: The jacuzzi suite does not have a shower but it does have a handheld showerhead for rinsing yoursekl...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dru H
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Stratford Hotel in February of this year and enjoyed out stay. Yes, it is quirky! There is no night staff, which is fine as there are two of us. The biggest problem we had was easily resolved - one evening, as we returned to the hotel from dinner, our passkey didn't work. However a call to the phone number on the card had someone at the door helping us out in minutes. (I imagine that if you didn't own a cell phone this could be a bigger problem!)

Our mattress was not hard as a few other posts have mentioned, the layout of our room was spacious, and the linens and towels were thick and absolutely crisply clean.

One morning we had troubles with the internet, but it was soon rectified as it was related to electrical work being done in the engineering business that shares the building.

The location is perfect for walkers - we walked often, to visit services and to purchase meals etc. Love being close to downtown!

We had moved to the Stratford Hotel from a local motel that promised Wi-Fi and delivered none, that refused to provide clean sheets, that didn't shovel snow from the walk to the door, and billed itself as having kitchenettes that didn't exist.

The Stratford was delightful in the quality of furnishings, spaciousness and amenities. We are returning in April and spending a few days there once again as we return to Ontario to take up permanent residence in Stratford! It will be a lovely place to stay between homes.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the building will be quieter as the road is fairly busy.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StephanieClark
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed here mid-September because we booked late - take note travellers - book months in advance in Stratford!

The bed was rock hard. I pulled back the sheets and was greeted by a big clump of hair. The four poster bed frame creaked and groaned every time you moved in the slightest. The quality of the renovations were very poor. There is not a shelf of any kind to place your belongings in the bath/toilet room so had to put them on the floor. Due to the huge space at the bottom of the door you can hear every person coming, going, talking - heck I even heard a heavy breather in the hall after lugging their suitcase up the stairs!

It is centrally located but the price is ridiculous for the lack of quality.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank EarringQueen
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

My wife and I stayed just one night at the Stratford Hotel in mid-September, 2012. A ‘part time project’ or a ‘hobby’ is probably the most diplomatic way to describe the place. The front desk closes (?) at 9:30pm and the hotel is unstaffed overnight. (So much for a pillow, blankets, towels or service of any kind.) Don’t know when the desk reopens, but there was no one there at about 8am when we left.

Light sleepers BEWARE. The hotel is in a heritage building on the periphery of Stratford’s downtown. While that’s convenient for walking it also puts the building very close to the town’s small, but boisterous, bar scene. Our room, #11, was at the back of the hotel. The music from the nearby bar(s) was loud enough to sing along to. Ironically the only tune I recognized was Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry Be Happy.” We got to listen to other people have fun until 3am.

The room itself was quirky, but adequate. It was long and narrow (30 ft x 10 ft) and broken into 3 parts: a sitting area with fireplace and TV at the entrance (there appeared to be no way to turn off the ceiling fan in the sitting area); the toilet and tub/shower (2 separate rooms) and a narrow hallway; then the sleeping area w/double bed. This is also where the window air conditioner is. So along with the noise of the unit, it blows cold air directly across the bed. Thankfully we didn't need to use it. There are 2 other windows in the room so the A/C unit needs to be moved.

As mentioned, the hotel is in an old building and the owners obviously aren’t spending any more money that they need to. The floors are refinished, but un-even and creaky. There are a lot of exposed pipes, although they are all painted. The fittings and fixtures all appear to have come from Home Depot. Much of the painting is sloppy and poorly done.

All in all, poor value for the money. I’d stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank KCousins
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

I share "pickletink's" frustration and "misfortune" although, thank goodness, not the extremities she experienced. Although relatively clean, my single room was shabby and cramped. There was no table of any sort, not even at the bedside (alarm clock, eyeglasses, book, etc. on the floor at lights out) or even a fold-out stand for my suitcase. The telephone was across the room from the bed (not encouraging for security), and the sink, with no counter, was in the bedroom. I was asked not to use my own hairdryer because the hotel's electrical system could not handle the voltage of such appliances. The only cover on the bed was a flimsy sheet and a duvet/coverlid that seemed to have covered many bodies without having been washed. The window a.c. was noisy. There were "in case of fire" instructions on the door, but the ONLY way out was down the narrow hall of wooden walls, floors, and doors to three rooms. One window in my room was filled with an air conditioner, and the other would not open (looked onto a cement-blocked and floored enclosure that houses various equipment -- what a view!)
The bathtub had no bar for one to hold onto when stepping into and out of the tub for a shower and no bathtub mat to help prevent slipping.
The positive features of the room were a fridge, first-rate room-darkening window shades, plenty of hot water, a comfortable bed (excluding the duvet),and free parking.
The staff vacated the premises at 9:00 p.m. and did not return until 9:00 a.m., including those who worked at the desk, which was located in an area even shabbier than my room. Consequently, I could not receive telephone calls at the very time I was most likely to be in the room. Nor was there any way to call for help quickly: in case of an emergency, outside phone numbers were listed in the hotel guidebook. Moreover, it was somewhat frightening to know there was no staff to observing who was entering the building between 9:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. Guests had key cards but also, apparently, did folks who worked in the offices that shared the building. How easyiwould be for these cards to get into the wrong hands.
To get to the hotel door from the parking lot requires one to walk through the automobile entrance to the street or else to step, if not stumble, over a low wall and walk around some sort of cement structure before landing on the sidewalk. Obviously there was no one to assist with luggage. My room was on the first floor, but I wondered about people on the second.
Breakfast was available but at an exorbitant price. I don't know the quality because I did not eat there.
I certainly do not share "thefrirstahs" "good value" judgment. I've stayed in various B and Bs and motels/hotels in Stratford but none so lacking in amenities and service while charging prices similar to upscale places. "Historic" is not a sufficient reason for the prices.

Room Tip: Try another place.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends