“Quaint, but not perfect”

and 1 more site!
The Stratford Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
London, ON
“Quaint, but not perfect”
Reviewed 4 April 2010

My husband and I stayed over night at The Stratford Hotel - simply because we wanted a night away. We came in from London (about 45 minutes).

The hotel is small and houses a couple of other businesses. Our room was cute and at first walk through - we LOVED IT!

Big, beautiful queen sized bed, a pleasant sitting room with fridge (perfect b/c we brought snacks and wine) and a jacuzzi tub bathroom.

It's old fashioned and I loved it!

There were a few minor things that weren't perfect: the heat in the room was almost unbearable. Thankfully the window open and let in a breeze. The beautiful bed was, unfortunately, uncomfortable. We barely slept. The washroom, as I stated, had a jacuzzi tub (why we chose the room) but no stand up shower. The jacuzzi tub did have a movable shower head/hose to shower off - but not quite the same (it was FINE for an over night visit). Also - there wasn't a staff member after 430 p.m. We had no issues - but if we had - then what? I've addressed this with the hotel and have been told we should have been advised of emergency numbers and such before the staff left - that will be addressed, therefore I'm ok with that piece.

It was a nice little place for our overnight visit, but not perfect. The only reason I'm saying I wouldn't recommend it - because the bed was uncomfortable. They could replace the mattress and solve that problem. (which the might!)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I stayed in The Stratford Hotel one night in January 2010 while on a business trip. I chose this hotel due its convenient downtown location and winter season price of $59 per night. Overall, this hotel was fine - in fact, it reminded me of staying in a cottage or cabin in Northern Ontario.

First, the building is an old historical stone structure. Although there are suites in the hotel, I chose a room as it was cheaper. My room was very quiet, had a private bathroom and all of the normal expected conveniences. The queen-sized bed was comfortable and made extra cozy by the gas fireplace at the foot of the bed (which was the source of heat for the room). The room also contained a bar-sized refrigerator which was a handy place to keep the breakfast that I brought with me. (According to the hotel's literature, in the summer months, a free continental breakfast is provided in the lobby.)

I only had two inconveniences during my stay: First, there was no table or separate dresser in the room. (There was, however, an armoire in which you could hang clothes that also had drawers.) Having no table, though, made it a challenge to find a place to eat my breakfast or place loose items. Second, the bathroom door did not close properly. As I was alone, this was not too big a problem, but if I had not been on my own, it would likely have been embarrassing.

Finally, note that the room door from the hallway is only latched with the deadbolt unlocked with your room key. The doorknob is not connected to a latch. (Like I said, this place is old!)

The young man who checked me in a the front desk was quite friendly and helpful. However, it was a little odd that the front desk is not manned from 7:00 p.m. until 9:00 a.m. the next morning.

If your stay in Stratford is short, or you will be going to plays, dining and sightseeing a lot, this hotel would provide an inexpensive and convenient option.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business