“Great value, great location”

Queen's Inn at Stratford
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We have stayed at the Queen's Inn many times and have found it a great value with nice rooms. We have stayed in a room that we have not liked -- small, no closed closet, but we have been careful to choose a room by its number now. We like a room with two beds with a cheery decor and they do have those. The suite (on the first floor) has deteriorated. It would be fine for a family or more than two people (and was at one time), but it needs updating. The food in the pub is good, not great, certainly fine for breakfast.
If I want to shop and my husband doesn't, I can just walk up the street, and he can either go his own way or back to the hotel. It is right on the main street. Also, the Bentley is nearby and it has good breakfasts as well as the breakfast and lunch place across the street -- can't remember its name.
All the theaters are within walking distance, although it's a little hike to go to the Festival Theater.

The staff is nice, the location great, the rooms are certainly well worth the price.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 November 2008

My experience was tainted by very poor customer service, mostly on the part of the owner. I'd booked after finding them listed (under "Book a Room") on the welcometostratford.com website, which allowed me to compare all rooms available in town on a quiet Sunday night. I was simply looking for a bed for the night, so I went with the Queen's Inn, which had the same price as a few other places in town. I booked on the phone with Nicole, and even mentioned the price while booking, however, when I arrived, the owner refused to honour the price that had been offered by one of their authorized listings online, saying that their own website was the one I should have used.

If you have someone advertising your hotel online, it should be your responsibility to honour that price, even if it was a clerical error. I'm a poor student, and so was somewhat frustrated, explaining that I could have easily booked somewhere else if they'd kept their advertising partner's information up to date. Sure it was only $10, but I shouldn't have had to haggle to the point of embarrassment with them over a mistake that wasn't mine. The final kicker was when, at the end of the conversation, I was told there was nothing that could be done because the charge had already gone through. I couldn't even exercise my right as a frustrated customer to go elsewhere.

Like I said, a very disappointing experience. I'd recommend going elsewhere. Oddly enough, I've worked for an answering service that answered for small, one-shot inns and B&B's, and none of the hundred or so we answered for had customer policies as poor as this place.

Note: They've since updated the welcometostratford site, but I take it that their mentality of dealing with customers remains unchanged.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank toastfordinner
Reviewed 14 February 2008

I have had the pleasure of staying at the lovely Queen's Inn at least once a year for a number of years and am looking forward to my return stay in a month's time. I always look forward to seeing what they have renovated over the short 'off-season' between Christmas and spring and this year, I'm told that the third floor hallways have been done as well as a number of guest rooms. They are always happy to show off their hard work on my return.

The staff, and particularly the front desk staff, are pleasant and eager to help in any way they can. There can be challenges with such an old building, but every attempt is made to make the guests happy and comfortable. It is great to be able to 'plod' down to the Boar's Head Pub, right in the hotel, for a great menu of pub fare and a lengthy 'on tap' selection of beers. It accommodates both guests and locals for lunch and dinner and is a lively spot to spend an evening. The staff often remember their guests from year to year.

Another good thing, is that the Queen's Inn offers free on-site guest parking and is located convenient to the theatres (when in-season) and downtown shopping and eateries.

I have stayed in several rooms over the years and can say that the beds are always comfortable. Overall, although it is an old building, Barb and the staff seem to make up for any shortfalls that may entail. My stay is always pleasureable.

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank SnowyOntario
Reviewed 1 October 2006

We spent 1 night at the Queens Inn during our 2 week Canadian holiday and we received excellent service froom the moment we walked through the door.

We turned up at the hotel a bit panic-stricken at 7pm as we couldn't find anywhere to stay. Unknown to us, the Shakespeare festival is very popular and beds book up fast. Also, we did not realise that a hotel was called an INN so unbeknown to us at the time, we kept driving past them! The lady on the desk was fantastic and soon calmed us down, giving us a lovely room as well as knocking $40 off it.

The room was decorated in a very old fashioned way but it was quaint and everything was clean. The room had all facilities and was very large - with two king size beds and several sofas! The car park is free and right outside the hotel so that's a plus point. We had a drink in the pub, which is attached to the hotel, and that was a bit too crowded for us but is obviously very popular. We had dinner at an Italian restaurant a short walk down the street - pizza in a basement! It was wonderful - best pizza I've had for a while.

The hotel did not do breakfast as it was their off season but the restaurant next door - Features - is amazing and will fill you up for the rest of the day! Great value too.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Super_Mazza
Reviewed 14 August 2006

Normally I stay at the Mercer Hall Inn which is heaven when a room is available, however as there wasn't the night I wanted to go,I managed to get a room here, with surprising ease and for a third more than I would normally pay at the Mercer. This was not any room mind you I was told at the time of booking, but the Dome Suite, which apparently is their ultimate and most expensive. Naming it the Dome Dump would have been more appropriate. The room is a large rickety old room decorated in a mishmash of un-coordinated styles. It has two bathrooms with showers that cannot be used at the same time as one feeds off the other's water pressure, and that look and feel icky. The toiletries reminded me of the basic stuff one got at the Y when I was a student. The average hotel patron age seems to be between 70 and ancient. The Dome is a cupola that crowns the top of the building and in which there are these drapeless windows which prevent you from sleeping thanks to the light that pours in at the crack of dawn. Wonderful if you plan to be up at 6am in the morning. The room overlooks the main street right on a fairly busy and noisy corner. There is coffee that is available to all in the hallway and that tastes like mild dishwater.Thank goodness for the Tim Horton's accross the street. Some might say that this place has "old world charm" and is "quaint". I would call it dull,dumpy and dingy and to be avoided even at half the price.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
3  Thank Canadianknowitall
Reviewed 23 July 2006

We have enjoyed our stay at the Queen's Inn several times in the past. This year was very disappointing. The bath tub was filthy. We could scrape the soap scum so it had not been properly cleaned for quite a while. There were long black hairs in the sink and on the base heater that did not belong to me or my husband. The bathroom floor did not look clean either. This gave us a very uncomfortable feeling about what else was not clean. Friends were staying in another room at the Queen's Inn that same night and also commented to the front desk about the lack of cleanliness in their room as well. The front desk was very sympathetic but said the only way they could tell that rooms were not clean was by customer complaints. Perhaps someone should have been overseeing their cleaning staff. We will not be going back.

Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank dolomida
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 July 2002

I have stayed at the Queen's Inn for five years as part of an annual tour to the Stratford Festival. It has been wonderful. Barbara is a fantastic hostess and takes great care to make everyone feel at home. The Inn itself has a special charm and I would highly recommend it. I look forward to staying there again.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member