“Great Location”
Review of Albert Street Inn

Albert Street Inn
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed for one night as we had booked to see a show and wanted a hotel for the night. We picked this hotel primarily for the location as the theatre was literally around the corner. I read the small print and requested both a parking space and a fridge for the room, both requests were accommodated without issue. The room was clean, the bed comortable and the bathroom adequate. It is a very old hotel but we had no issue with it. Breakfast the next morning was at the restaurant attached and was excellent value for money, especially as you get a discount when mentioning you are a guest at the hotel. The hotel desk is not manned after 8:00pm so the front door is locked, you do however get a key. All in all, the hotel is adequate, clean and has a great location. I would recommend if you are looking for nothing too fancy and well located. I would stay again.

4  Thank PamelaDS

Reviewed 1 August 2013

The hotel is in a great location. Within walking distance to the theatres. There is very little parking. When I phoned the day before to find out about check in time I asked about the parking and was told there was free parking on the street.(which there is not). When we arrived we were sent to a parking lot a few blocks away that is not secure, very dark at night with no lighting. There is no one at the desk after 8pm and you are given a key for the front door. This does not seem safe and anyone could leave the door unlocked for the evening. The room lock was the push button style, again not very secure. The room has had some updating, new duvet and carpet. The older TV worked, but the converter didn't work. The phone was flashing indicating there was a message. When I asked at the front desk, she said that the phones always do that just ignore it. The advertised WiFi did not work. We didn't try the shower as we had little water coming out of the taps in the sink and a times no cold water. There was a loud AC in the window which worked at first, but by the middle of the night was not working and it leaked. There was a wasps nest somewhere and they kept appearing in the room. The front desk personnel were very unhelpful. Will not be staying here again despite the location.

1  Thank terrylovesthesun
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The location was what prompted me to pick this hotel as well as decent prices. I knew it was older, so what I wanted was a clean room and a good sleep. I took my Mom who has some difficulties with stairs, so although we were able to take an elevator part way, we still had a staircase to navigate. It would be helpful to have a room with two beds on the floor with an elevator. The bathroom was clean, but the chain came off the flush so things did not work as well as they could have; however, the staff at reception where very nice. The restaurant gave you a hotel discount if you were a guest, and the food was very good.
I would choose this hotel again; great rates, great location, good restaurant, and clean. It is not a 5 star hotel, but has character and history. I enjoyed my stay here.

Room Tip: Room 219 has a view to parking lot so you can see your vehicle, but has a staircase to navigate to a...
1  Thank scubakerryllr
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Although the location is great, walking distance to shops and restaurants this inn falls short in the quality of the rooms. While the lobby and hall areas have been updated, it doesnt appear that has carried over to the rooms. I knew this was an old building so I didn't expect a modern room, but the bathroom was gross. Broken tiles, less than clean shower, window painted shut, improperly working sink taps.The king size bed was very saggy resulting in sore backs every morning. Wi fi didn't work properly. On a positive note the attached restaurant was good. This place could be so much more, but it seems management and owners could care less. Would not stay again.

Room Tip: avoid room 208
1  Thank cricket2013
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Overall, found the hotel clean, the bed comfortable. However, the lighting is terrible in the rooms - almost impossible to read. Claims wi-fi but wi-fi unavailable from 8 p.m. when staff leave to 8:30 when staff return in the morning. This was aggrevating. Otherwise, SUPER convenient - walk to everything - all the theatres (except Festival) literally around the corner. Rooms serviceable, bathroom small but clean - no complaints there.

1  Thank selkiem
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We have stayed here for the past three season of the Stratford Festival. We were happy to see that they had renovated and installed an elevator. However, this year was a disappointment. The young woman at the desk was very rude and informed us that our parking spot (you can reserve a spot if you book through their website) had been giving away even though we reserved it back in February. Street parking was not a problem and we saved ourselves the $9.00 parking charge but that is not really the point. The room was clean but the bed was very uncomfortable and the air conditioner was extremely loud (it was as though someone dropped coins inside the fan) and did not do much to cool the room down. Not sure if we will come back, I would rather pay a little more for superior service. Considering we are loyal repeat customers, we were treated quite shabbily and when I sent a polite email directly to the innkeeper to express my concerns I received no reply. That being said, the location is great but I feel that they charge too much in the peak season considering the level of service offered. I was happy to pay the first few years we stayed here as the staff was helpful and pleasant, this year not so much with the exception of the girl who worked the desk in the afternoon/evening. She was lovely.

1  Thank SeeParks
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My husband I were a bit worried by the ratings but we figured if it was clean we would be fine. Walking down the hall made me feel like I was on the set of a 1940's movie. The combination of old and new was interesting and fun. Our room had very high ceilings and tall windows. The air conditioning unit was very noisy. The king sized bed was comfortable, but the sofa bed my daughter slept in was less than ideal. The bathroom was old but functional. If you like new and modern this isn't the place for you. We walked to the Festival Theatre which was a bit of a hike but manageable. We enjoyed eating at the attached restaurant, especially breakfast which had lots of choices. All in all the hotel was acceptable and I would stay there again.

2  Thank smileyTimmins