“Used to be good.”
Review of Bentley's Inn

Bentley's Inn
Ranked #29 of 89 Stratford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We are staying here with family including three children under three, for my in-laws 60th birthday party. When making our reservations nobody told us we would be trying to sleep over a dance club. It is so loud, nobody can get any sleep. I went downstairs to complain, yet nothing was done. Called down to the front desk where nobody answered. Thinking of calling in a noise complaint to the police. Brutal.

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just spent a wonderful night in Room #107 at the Lofts at 99 (Bentley's). I honestly didn't know what to expect - and was pleasantly surprised with everything.

Our Suite was huge (we had two floors) - but felt so cozy with a number of fireplaces throughout. The room was so quiet - we didn't hear any noise from neighbours or the bar downstairs. The bed was sooo comfortable ....!

We actually live in Stratford - and this was a wonderful way to get away from our kids for a very short night away. I had no idea that the rooms would be as lovely as they are! I'd highly recommend the Lofts to couples, families, business travellers and theatre-goers alike.

Fantastic!

Room Tip: Room #107 is fantastic!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The fact that the staff try to run both the restaurant and inn at the same time is a recipe for disaster. When we asked about parking the owner mumbled something incoherently and walked away. Not a great start. We were offered our room early which was great but when we went up, it was not made up. We went downstairs and asked about it and were told it would be ready. We then ate lunch in the restaurant and it was mediocre at best. We went back to the room and it was still not made up. When we asked the owner about it we received a condescending and patronizing response "we are not new at this you know..." So when we arrived back at the room at 5:00 pm and it was still not ready, we were more than angry. The manager explained there was some sort of mix up and did her best to rectify the situation by giving us a $25 voucher for the bar, but it was very inconvenient given we already brought our own food and beverages and wanted to get ready for the evening. We didn't get into our room until past 7:00 pm because no one bothered to tell us it was ready!! The owner was pompous and should decide whether he is an innkeeper or a running a restaurant. The food is completely mediocre at best. Instead of having pages and pages of mediocre food, I suggest you have a few pages of good food! I would never stay or eat here again despite the room being decent but hugely over priced. In my opinion people go to both the restaurant and inn because everything else is booked up (which happened in our case). I have stayed in Stratford for over 20 years and this was by far the biggest disappointment. I do not recommend this place at all.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is not facing out onto the street as we had to listen to people swearing on the pat...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank RosieLondonOntario
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We spent our first night in Stratford at a B&B: Room under 100 sq. ft., pile of dead bugs on the carpet, two twin beds. Fortunately, we had dinner at Bentley's, and we asked our waitress, Heather, if she knew of any open rooms in town. She told us that Bentley's had modern loft apartments in the rear of the building. When I opened the door, I was astounded! There was a modern, spacious area with a kitchenette, memory foam beds (1 king, 2 twins upstairs), a modern bath, two large flat-screen TVs, and a pseudo fireplace, all for a lower rate than we had paid at the B&B. The rooms were very quiet during the day, but there was some noise from the restaurant area at night. Also, there is a long flight of steps up to the hotel area, and another long flight inside to the upper level, so it is not for someone with physical challenges. Bentley's is located in the heart of Stratford's downtown, and inside parking across the street is provided with the room. If I am lucky enough to be in Stratford again, I would definitely stay at the Inn.

Room Tip: There is one "executive" suite at a higher price. Other rooms are all similar in size and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mommya
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I must admit red flags started waving when I saw our accommodation building: a black-fronted 3 storey building tucked amongst Stratford's downtown shops. I noted a black facade, designed well but in need of some touchingup. I saw a pseudo-Irish pub with patio, and a very busy serving area. When I was ushered to a corner of the bar to register, my mind began spinning. Then, when given my keys and sent around back to another building, I was really spooked. But work had booked it on another's recommendation, so I persevered. I was stunned by the room I had: immaculately clean, 2 queen beds, 12x12 bath with jacuzzi corner tub and separate shower stall, 2 large wing chairs. All I could think was that this was as well-appointed as any resort to which I have been. So despite my initial misgivings and its slightly sketchy appearance, I was sold on it and would choose it any time there. (See separate review on its restaurant.)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night in August 2013. I have been there before and this stay did not disappoint. Great location right in the center of town, very nicely decorated modern room with all the necessary amenities. Minor inconveniences: bathroom on second floor (with comfy king bed on first floor), spotty Internet connection which miraculously came online in the morning, and my room had a skylight with no shading which was directly over the bed. I would bring eyeshades next time. It would be nice if they could install a skylight shade for those rooms. Overall worth the stay!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank RobertService
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed at Bentley's Lofts at 99 to attend the Stratford Fesitival. The room was very spacious, the reclaimed brick wall and paint colour palette was lovely and the King tempurpedic bed was wonderful. There was also a small kitchenette with a fridge and microwave. The bathroom was upstairs, on the 2nd floor. On the "Miss" side, there were stains on the carpet, the AC unit is on the ceiling and a little hard to reach for anyone under 5'6", the shower stall had areas of pink and black mould/mildew and hard water build-up in the corners of the base, as well as on the floor of the shower, along with some long black hair. Glass side tables were spotty and smudged, as was the provided make-up mirror - however all were easy to clean off with a tea towel.

The Hotel advertises that they have wireless internet - we were not able to connect on our laptop, iPad or smart phones and made repeated trips to the check-in desk for assistance. After 5:00 PM, the desk is attended to by the bar staff in the restaurant and their assistance consisted of showing us that they had internet on their personal phones. At one point, another gentleman came over and advised us he had spent a lot of money on the internet service in the hotel. We were finally advised to connect via ethernet cable to the outlet in our room, which was above the baseboard in the corner of the kitchenette - not a very convenient place to use our laptop and the outlet didn't work. The next day, we were mysteriously able to connect to the wireless network, although the signal cut in and out. We run our own business and have family we want to stay connected to, and therefor found this all very frustrating.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple