“Beware”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
northern kentucky
“Beware”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Watch out!. I made a reservation to stay overnight here. They charged my credit card immediately for the first night. Their policy, if you cancel the reservation in a timely manner, is to refund the charge. I requested the cancellation by email. They never responded to my request for an acknowledgement of the cancellation. I emailed several times asking for an acknowledgement. I didn't receive it, nor did they refund the charge. I'm disputing the charge with the credit card company

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank sonostudente

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Charming and comfortable historic Inn just off the town square. Intelligent and hospitable staff. Spacious rooms. Sidewalk patio perfect place for early morning coffee.
Serves locally-sourced ingredients on the menu in the dining room.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ethicalgourmet
Toronto ON
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Didn't stay in hotel but did eat twice in restaurant and all I can say is big waste of money. Had beef tenderloin - end cut cooked like a piece of burnt roast beef. Had chicken pate that was the consistency of slop. " new assistant in kitchen - hadn't let the terrine cool in fridge" My response "why would you serve it to a customer". The steak "only piece we had left". Offered a free desert - the meal should have been taken away and certainly I shouldn't have been charged for it. Never ever would eat here again but unfortunately was back in May 2011 and decided to try breakfast. Eggs Benedict. Hardboiled eggs with a teaspoon (if that) of Hollandaise served with cheap greens, the peameal bacon was so over grilled it was dry as shoe leather. Much much better breakfast to be had in Stratford.

Would only go back to sit on patio in sun for a drink.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Liz56TorontoON
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2010

Went for Luke Doucet dinner show-booked the pkg for dinner/show/room/breakfast.
Fantastic value-meals, staff, show and room were all exceptional! We loved every minute-we always try to support small Inns such as Foster's and this was definitely
one of the best.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reviewthebest
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Our family selected this hotel from the internet and wished we had paid more attention to Trip Advisor comments. There is no parking so we were directed to a public lot about 3 blocks away. The hotel has old wood floors in the hallway and rooms so that it is very noisy. People coming and going made it difficult to sleep. The exterior window was broken so that we had a cold draft and the heating control was ancient. We were cold at night. To top it off, the shower at best was only warm. In summary, the rooms are shaby and in need of repair. Our bed was hard and lumpy. We cut our stay short and transferred to another hotel. Our recommendation is to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank maggie57_10
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We stayed at the Inn one night with our 5 year old daughter. We got there late (8 pm) but there was no issue. The room was great, very clean, high ceilings, large bathroom, fridge too! We asked for an extra blanket at 10 pm and it came promptly. My husband was very sick with cough and flu so on the Sunday morning I asked if we could have more time and not have to check out at 11 am. First of all the girl who was working very early on Sunday was so lovely, she wanted to know what she could bring to the room, (brought us coffee) and when I saw her again in the restaurant she asked again if they could make anything for my husband. They let us stay for some extra time which made everything much easier for us. The food in the restaurant was lovely - my daughter and I had breakfast and the location, two doors away from Avon theatre was perfect as well. Great value for money and I would definitely refer friends to stay here, next time I want to have dinner there too!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Ontario
Reviewed 3 August 2010

My wife and I stayed at Foster's Inn for one night in late July and found it to be a nice place to spend the night while in Stratford. We stayed in room 303. The room was clean, a good size, and had an ‘old-fashioned’ look and feel to it, including hard-wood floors. The bed was somewhat hard but didn’t bother me and I had a fairly good sleep. You could hear other room’s showers and doors closing, but not much else including any outside or restaurant noise. It could possibly use some updates to the furniture and especially the T.V., a nice flat-screen on the wall would be perfect. Also, better showerheads would be a good idea. Parking is limited. You can meter-park outside the inn for a limited period, (good for unloading) but then will have to park overnight at a public parking lot a very short distance away. The Avon Theatre is right next door, so very convenient.
I found the customer service to be very good. We had arrived at Foster’s a bit before check-in time and our room wasn’t quite ready. We ended up having lunch on Foster’s patio while waiting and the waitress (Laura) was very friendly and helpful. While we were still sitting on the patio finishing our lunch, the receptionist of the inn found us and came over to drop the key off to us and showed us exactly where we should park once we got settled in. Although we ended up going to Fellini's for dinner that night (great food but so-so service), we returned to Foster’s for breakfast the next morning and were not disappointed with the food or service once again.
Although the room was a bit pricey, I would recommend both the inn and the restaurant as good bets if you are ever in Stratford.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple