We spent last Friday night at Mercer Hall Inn using a gift certificate we received from friends for Christmas. We hadn't heard of Mercer Hall Inn before, so as a marketing tool the gift certificate did its job of getting us in the door.
Parking is behind the inn (free for guests), but it's not the most convenient access on days with inclement weather. Check-in is at a hostess stand in the restaurant (a little odd), but the warm and professional clerk made us feel welcome. She explained the facilities, access to the front and back doors, parking and dining options. We then rolled our overnight bags through the length of the restaurant to the back, through a locked door, and up two steep staircases to room 209. For the elderly or those with mobility issues Mercer Hall Inn may not be the best choice.
Room 209 is spacious and offers a view of the Avon River in the distance. The decor was a little off-putting (cranberry painted ceiling, a wallpaper border, ultra-suede coverlet and pillowcases on the bed... very 1990s), but the special touches (bathrobes, complimentary bottled water and fresh baked cookies, a little library of books) made up for the dated decor. We were disappointed that the fireplace is a cheesy little electric model rather than gas or wood burning.
We did not like the open concept bathroom, and if we return to Mercer Hall Inn we'll request a different room for that reason alone. The whirlpool tub and vanity are separate from the shower module and toilet, with a pocket door in between them. While this layout does make the room feel more open, we prefer a totally separate bathroom.
We enjoyed an excellent dinner at the restaurant downstairs (the ancho chile margarita alone makes it worth a visit). The cocktails were interesting and expertly prepared, and everyone in our party enjoyed their appetizers and entrees. The service was polished and friendly. We will definitely return to the restaurant again on a future visit to Stratford.
Unfortunately we didn't have a great night's sleep: the mattress was a little too firm, the pillows a little to thin, and it was difficult to keep the room at a comfortable temperature (either too hot or too cool). We had to check out at 7am to make it back home for an event, so we didn't get to explore the area for breakfast.
Mercer Hall Inn gets 4/5 for its great location, personable staff, and little touches in the rooms that show they are trying to exceed guests' expectations. I hope there are plans in the works to redecorate the rooms so that they might reflect the same stunning, contemporary decor in the restaurant downstairs. If so, we'll be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stratford's 14 room unique boutique Inn is located in the heart of downtown. All rates include parking and wireless internet access. Dining areas include European restaurant Mercer Hall and Fellini's Italian/Mediterranean open year round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotel.de, Booking.com, Priceline, HRS and Ebookers so you can book your Mercer Hall Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercer Hall Hotel Stratford
- Mercer Hall Stratford
- Mercer Hall Inn Stratford, Ontario, Canada